I ask an artificial intelligence questions about language learning (GPT-3)

General discussion about learning languages
ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

I ask an artificial intelligence questions about language learning (GPT-3)

Postby ryanheise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm

GPT-3 is an AI that generates text given a prompt. If you haven't heard of it, the following link points to an example article written by GPT-3 on why humans should not fear robots:

A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

But don't be too scared. GPT-3 is essentially a glorified auto-complete. Given a prompt, what it does is simply predict the most likely "next word" and so on. As you'll see in my interactions with it below, it is very human sounding, but there are occasionally clear signs that it doesn't understand what it's saying.

First, I try to get GPT-3 to speak on a controversial language learning topic.

Prompt: Write an article on whether Stephen Krashen's input hypothesis is correct.

There is a great deal of controversy surrounding Stephen Krashen's input hypothesis, with many language experts arguing that the theory is oversimplified and does not accurately reflect the complexities of language acquisition. However, there is also a great deal of evidence to support Krashen's hypothesis, which suggests that language acquisition is primarily driven by exposure to comprehensible input. In other words, language learners acquire new language skills by understanding messages that are slightly beyond their current level of competence.

The input hypothesis has been supported by a number of studies, which have shown that learners who are exposed to comprehensible input make more progress than those who are not. For example, a study by Long and Porter (1985) found that learners who were given comprehensible input made significantly more progress than those who were not. Another study by Pienemann (1984) found that learners who were given comprehensible input made more progress than those who were not, even when the input was not specifically designed to be instructional.

There are a number of possible explanations for why comprehensible input is so effective. One possibility is that it provides learners with a rich source of language data that they can use to construct their own understanding of the language. Another possibility is that comprehensible input helps learners to develop a "mental representation" of the language, which they can then use to generate new language output.

Whatever the reason, there is no doubt that comprehensible input is a powerful tool for language acquisition. However, it is important to remember that language acquisition is a complex process, and there are many factors that contribute to a learner's success. Krashen's input hypothesis is a valuable contribution to our understanding of how language is acquired, but it is only one piece of the puzzle.

Fairly impressive for an AI. Keep in mind that GPT-3 will auto-complete your prompt, so it is not that GPT-3 thinks one way or the other. You can get it to write a differently-biased article with a different prompt.

Next, I asked GPT-3 to write me an article about language exchange. And it is almost convincing.

Prompt: Write an article on how to do a language exchange.

Do you want to learn a new language but don't have the time or money to take classes? A language exchange could be the perfect solution for you!

A language exchange is when two people who want to learn each other's languages exchange services. For example, one person might help the other learn English, and in return the other person will help the first person learn Spanish. There are a few things you need to do before you can start a language exchange:

1. Find a partner. This can be done online or in person. If you find a partner online, be sure to check their credentials and make sure they are a reputable source.

2. Choose a language. This should be a language that both you and your partner want to learn.

3. Determine the language exchange format. There are a few different ways to do a language exchange:
- One person teaches the other person the language for an hour, and then they switch.
- The two people alternate between speaking their native language and the language they are trying to learn.
- The two people use a language exchange website or app where they can chat with each other.

4. Choose a time and place to meet. This can be done in person or online.

5. Start learning!

A language exchange can be a great way to learn a new language. Not only will you be able to practice speaking the language, but you'll also learn about the culture of the country where it is spoken. So what are you waiting for? Start looking for a language exchange partner today!

The iffy bit was: "This should be a language that both you and your partner want to learn". Language exchange partners don't learn an agreed upon 3rd language, they learn each other's language.

Next, how about translation? Let's take the example from the recent topic on DeepL and Artificial Intelligence.

Prompt: Translate "Llamé para que me trajeran la pizza a casa con servicio a domicilio. Al llegar el chico me dijo que no podía pagar con tarjeta." from Spanish into English.

I called to have the pizza delivered to my house. When the guy arrived, he said he couldn't take a credit card.

GPT-3 (here using the text-davinci-002 model) seems to have at least understood who is doing the paying and who is doing the delivering. For comparison, DeepL's translation of the same sentence was: "I called to have the pizza delivered to my home. When I arrived the guy told me he couldn't pay by card."

GPT-3, while primarily intended for developers, has an open, free trial with limited free credits if you want to play around with it:

https://openai.com/api/
6 x

ryanheise
Green Belt

Re: I ask an artificial intelligence questions about language learning (GPT-3)

Postby ryanheise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:48 pm

ryanheise wrote:Keep in mind that GPT-3 will auto-complete your prompt, so it is not that GPT-3 thinks one way or the other. You can get it to write a differently-biased article with a different prompt.

Let's try that now.

Prompt: Write an article on the shortcomings of Stephen Krashen's input hypothesis.

In the early 1980s, Stephen Krashen proposed the input hypothesis, which has become one of the most influential theories of second language acquisition. The input hypothesis states that learners acquire language through exposure to comprehensible input that is slightly beyond their current level of understanding. Although the input hypothesis has been very influential, it has also been criticized on a number of grounds.

One criticism of the input hypothesis is that it does not adequately explain how learners acquire the grammar of a language. The input hypothesis focuses on the role of exposure to comprehensible input in language acquisition, but it does not explain how learners internalize the grammar of the language they are learning.

Another criticism of the input hypothesis is that it does not explain why some learners are more successful than others in acquiring a second language. The input hypothesis does not account for individual differences in second language acquisition. Some learners are more successful than others in acquiring a second language even when they are exposed to the same amount of comprehensible input.

Finally, the input hypothesis has been criticized for its lack of empirical evidence. Although the input hypothesis has been influential, there is little empirical evidence to support it.
3 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:14 pm

Equal parts super interesting and super terrifying. But in an odd way, somewhat comforting.

I have become increasingly anxious over the last decade about climate issues and how seriously doomed subsequent generations of humans and animals on this planet are going to be because of increasingly adverse climate changes. But reading your posts and the linked article, I no longer fear climate change will be the driver of doom and destruction for humans; now pretty sure that AI-directed robots/cyborgs/androids are the bigger threat.

Either way, accelerating construction of a bunker.
4 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:44 pm

Or AI could think of solutions to human screwups faster than we can make them and the world will be a utopia.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:09 pm

I'm impressed - not just by the level of the language but also by the integration of bits of knowledge from unknown sources. In the Guardian article there is a passage which is claimed to represent the input to the machine. However if the text above (until "So can I" really is written by a machine then I wonder not only where it picked Mahatma Gandhi from, but also (and even more) how it got the idea of referring to that precise person. Does it pull ideas from an immense secrete store, just as Google translates picks words and grammatical constructions, but here with names and objects and events from the omniscient internet (and probably also snippets of text it can steal)?

"Robots in Greek" ... well, I thought the source was a novel by the Czech author Capek, and the word is definitely based on a Slavic root. If the machine can find the names of Long and Porter and Pienemann and decide that they are relevant in the context, how come that it didn't find the name of Capek and - given the general tenor of the article - of Asimov, who invented three rules that should keep robots from exterminating us humans?

Or is it April 1. once again here in 2022?
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:25 pm

pretty cool!! But style in this example is mediocre.

Prompt: Write a few paragraphs about the value of the site language-learners.org

The website language-learners.org is a great resource for people who want to learn a new language. The site offers a variety of resources that can help people learn a new language. The site has a forum where people can ask questions and get help from other language learners. The site also has a blog where people can read about language learning tips and tricks. The site also has a library of resources that people can use to learn a new language. The site is a great resource for

Or kind of fantasy...

prompt: Tell me about [redacted-me]

[redacted-me] was a Spanish-American aviator and general during World War II. He was one of the first Hispanic-American pilots to fly for the United States Army Air Forces. [lastname] flew over 100 combat missions during the war and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. After the war, [lastname] remained in the Air Force and served in a number of senior leadership positions. He retired as a Brigadier General in 1973.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 am

Write a complete Spanish tutorial from beginner to advanced

Code: Select all

Hola! Welcome to our complete Spanish tutorial. Here we will cover everything from the very basics of the language to more advanced concepts. By the end of this tutorial, you should be able to hold a basic conversation in Spanish and have a good understanding of the grammar. Let's get started!

Basics

The first thing you need to know is how to introduce yourself. Say "Hola, me llamo _____" (Hello, my name is _____). To ask someone else's name, say "¿Cómo te llamas?" (What is your name?).

Spanish has two main pronouns that you need to know - "yo" (I) and "tú" (you). These are used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Yo soy un estudiante" (I am a student). "Tú eres un estudiante" (You are a student).

In Spanish, there are also two different ways to say "you" - formal and informal. The informal form, "tú", is used when talking to someone you know well, like a friend or family member. The formal form, "usted", is used when talking to someone you don't know well, or someone who is respected, like a teacher or a boss. For example, "¿Cómo estás, tú?" (How are you, informal?) "¿Cómo está usted?" (How are you, formal?)

Now let's learn some basic verbs. The first one is "ser", which means "to be". This is used to describe what someone or something is. For example, "Soy un estudiante" (I am a student). The second verb is "tener", which means "to have". This is used to describe what someone has. For example, "Tengo un hermano" (I have a brother).

The next two verbs are "hacer" and "ir". "Hacer" means "to do" or "to make", and "ir" means "to go". For example, "Hago la tarea" (I do my homework) and "Voy al colegio" (I go to school).

These four verbs - "ser", "tener", "hacer", and "ir" - are called "irregular" verbs because they don't follow the same conjugation pattern as most other verbs. This means that their form changes depending on who is doing the action. For example, "ser" changes to "soy", "eres", "es", "somos", "sois", and "son" depending on the subject.

To conjugate a regular verb in Spanish, you take the root of the verb (the part that doesn't change) and add a ending that corresponds to the subject. For example, the regular verb "hablar" (to speak) changes to "hablo", "hablas", "habla", "hablamos", "habláis", and "hablan" depending on the subject.

Let's try conjugating some regular verbs. The first one is "comer" (to eat). I eat, you eat, he/she/it eats, we eat, you all eat, they eat. Now let's try "beber" (to drink). I drink, you drink, he/she/it drinks, we drink, you all drink, they drink.

Finally, let's learn the days of the week and the months of the year. The days of the week are lunes (Monday), martes (Tuesday), miércoles (Wednesday), jueves (Thursday), viernes (Friday), sábado (Saturday), and domingo (Sunday). The months of the year are enero (January), febrero (February), marzo (March), abril (April), mayo (May), junio (June), julio (July), agosto (August), septiembre (September), octubre (October), noviembre (November), and diciembre (December).

Now let's put everything we've learned so far together and practice making sentences. Remember, the subject goes before the verb in Spanish. For example, "Yo como una manzana" (I eat an apple). "Tú bebes una Coca-Cola" (You drink a Coca-Cola). "Él come un sándwich" (He eats a sandwich).

Greetings and Farewells

In Spanish, there are different greetings and farewells for different times of the day.

For morning, you can say "Buenos días" (Good morning), "Buenas tardes" (Good afternoon), or "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

For afternoon, you can say "Buenas tardes" (Good afternoon) or "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

For evening, you can say "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

To say "Hello" at any time of the day, you can also say "Hola" (Hello).

To say "Goodbye", you can say "Adiós" (Bye), "Hasta luego" (See you later), or "Hasta mañana" (See you tomorrow).

You can also say "¡Que tengas un buen día!" (Have a nice day!) or "¡Que tengas una buena noche!" (Have a good night!).

Questions

In Spanish, there are two types of questions - those that require a yes or no answer, and those that require more information.

Yes/No questions are formed by adding the word "¿" at the beginning of the sentence and "?" at the end. For example, "¿Hablas español?" (Do you speak Spanish?).

Questions that require more information are formed by adding the word "¿" at the beginning of the sentence, changing the word order so that the subject comes after the verb, and adding "?" at the end. For example, "¿Hablas español?" (Where do you live?), "¿Cuál es tu nombre?" (What is your name?), "¿Cómo estás?" (How are you?), or "¿De dónde eres?" (Where are you from?).

To ask "Who?", you use the word "¿Quién?". For example, "¿Quién eres tú?" (Who are you?).

To ask "What?", you use the word "¿Qué?". For example, "¿Qué quieres?" (What do you want?).

To ask "When?", you use the word "¿Cuándo?". For example, "¿Cuándo es tu cumpleaños?" (When is your birthday?).

To ask "Where?", you use the word "¿Dónde?". For example, "¿Dónde estás?" (Where are you?).

To ask "Why?", you use the word "¿Por qué?". For example, "¿Por qué no?" (Why not?).

To ask "Which?", you use the word "¿Cuál?". For example, "¿Cuál es tu favorito?" (Which is your favorite?).

To ask "How much/many?", you use the word "¿Cuánto/a?". For example, "¿Cuántos años tienes?" (How old are you?).

To ask "How?", you use the word "¿Cómo?". For example, "¿Cómo estás?" (How are you?).

To ask "Can you?", you use the word "¿Puedes?". For example, "¿Puedes hablar más despacio?" (Can you speak more slowly?).

To say "I don't know", you say "No sé". For example, "No sé" (I don't know).

To say "I don't understand", you say "No entiendo". For example, "No entiendo" (I don't understand).

To say "Please", you use the word "Por favor". For example, "Por favor" (Please).

To say "Thank you", you use the word "Gracias". For example, "Gracias" (Thank you).

To say "You're welcome", you use the word "De nada". For example, "De nada" (You're welcome).

To say "Excuse me", you use the word "Disculpe". For example, "Disculpe" (Excuse me).

To say "I'm sorry", you use the word "Lo siento". For example, "Lo siento" (I'm sorry).

Negatives

In Spanish, to make a sentence negative, you add the word "no" before the verb. For example, "No hablo español" (I don't speak Spanish).

You can also use the word "no" to say "not" after the verb. For example, "Hablo español, no inglés" (I speak Spanish, not English).

To say "never", you use the word "nunca". For example, "Nunca como carne" (I never eat meat).

To say "nothing", you use the word "nada". For example, "No quiero nada" (I don't want anything).

To say "nobody", you use the word "ningún". For example, "Ningún estudiante va al colegio" (No students go to school).

To say "nowhere", you use the word "ningún". For example, "No voy a ningún lugar" (I'm not going anywhere).

To say "no one", you use the word "ninguno". For example, "Ninguno de mis amigos habla español" (None of my friends speak Spanish).

Possession

In Spanish, there are two ways to show possession - with the possessive adjectives "mi", "tu", "su", "nuestro", "vuestro", and "su" or with the possessive pronoun "mío", "tuyo", "suyo", "nuestro", "vuestro", and "suyo".

The possessive adjective goes before the noun it modifies, and the possessive pronoun replaces the noun. For example, "Mi hermano es alto" (My brother is tall) or "El mío es bajo" (Mine is short).

Here are some examples of how to use the possessive adjectives:

"Mi casa es grande" (My house is big).

"Tu perro es bonito" (Your dog is cute).

"Su coche es nuevo" (His/her car is new).

"Nuestro gato es negro" (Our cat is black).

"Vuestro país es bonito" (Your country is beautiful).

"Su comida es deliciosa" (Their food is delicious).

To form a possessive pronoun, you take the possessive adjective and add an -o if the noun it modifies is masculine, -a if the noun is feminine, or -os if the noun is plural. For example, "La casa es mía" (The house is mine) or "Los libros son nuestros" (The books are ours).

Pronouns

As we mentioned before, there are two main pronouns in Spanish - "yo" (I) and "tú" (you). These are used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Yo soy un estudiante" (I am a student). "Tú eres un estudiante" (You are a student).

In Spanish, there are also two different ways to say "you" - formal and informal. The informal form, "tú", is used when talking to someone you know well, like a friend or family member. The formal form, "usted", is used when talking to someone you don't know well, or someone who is respected, like a teacher or a boss. For example, "¿Cómo estás, tú?" (How are you, informal?) "¿Cómo está usted?" (How are you, formal?)

The next two pronouns are "él" (he) and "ella" (she). These are used when the subject of the sentence is a man or a woman respectively. For example, "Él es un estudiante" (He is a student). "Ella es una estudiante" (She is a student).

The next pronoun is "ellos" (they, masculine) or "ellas" (they, feminine). These are used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people of either gender. For example, "Ellos son estudiantes" (They are students). "Ellas son estudiantes" (They are students).

The pronoun "nosotros" (we) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the speaker. For example, "Nosotros somos estudiantes" (We are students).

The pronoun "vosotros" (you all) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the person being addressed. For example, "Vosotros sois estudiantes" (You all are students).

The pronoun "ustedes" (you all) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the person being addressed. For example, "Ustedes son estudiantes" (You all are students).

Verbs

The first verb we're going to learn is "ser", which means "to be". This is used to describe what someone or something is. For example, "Soy un estudiante" (I am a student).

The next verb is "tener", which means "to have". This is used to describe what someone has. For example, "Tengo un hermano" (I have a brother).

The next two verbs are "hacer" and "ir". "Hacer" means "to do" or "to make", and "ir" means "to go". For example, "Hago la tarea" (I do my homework) and "Voy al colegio" (I go to school).

These four verbs - "ser", "tener", "hacer", and "ir" - are called "irregular" verbs because they don't follow the same conjugation pattern as most other verbs. This means that their form changes depending on who is doing the action. For example, "ser" changes to "soy", "eres", "es", "somos", "sois", and "son" depending on the subject.

To conjugate a regular verb in Spanish, you take the root of the verb (the part that doesn't change) and add a ending that corresponds to the subject. For example, the regular verb "hablar" (to speak) changes to "hablo", "hablas", "habla", "hablamos", "habláis", and "hablan" depending on the subject.

The endings for regular verbs are -o, -as, -a, -amos, -áis, -an for masculine subjects, -o, -es, -e, -emos, -éis, -en for feminine subjects, and -o, -es, -e, -imos, -ís, -en for plural subjects.

Let's try conjugating some regular verbs. The first one is "comer" (to eat). I eat, you eat, he/she/it eats, we eat, you all eat, they eat. Now let's try "beber" (to drink). I drink, you drink, he/she/it drinks, we drink, you all drink, they drink.

The next verb is "vivir", which means "to live". I live, you live, he/she/it lives, we live, you all live, they live.

Now let's try a verb that ends in -ir, like "escribir" (to write). I write, you write, he/she/it writes, we write, you all write, they write.

The next verb is "abrir", which means "to open". I open, you open, he/she/it opens, we open, you all open, they open.

The next verb is "cerrar", which means "to close". I close, you close, he/she/it closes, we close, you all close, they close.

The next verb is "poder", which means "to be able to". I can, you can, he/she/it can, we can, you all can, they can.

The next verb is "querer", which means "to want". I want, you want, he/she/it wants, we want, you all want, they want.

The next verb is "venir", which means "to come". I come, you come, he/she/it comes, we come, you all come, they come.

The next verb is "decir", which means "to say" or "to tell". I say, you say, he/she/it says, we say, you all say, they say.

The next verb is "hacer", which means "to do" or "to make". I do, you do, he/she/it does, we do, you all do, theyHola! Welcome to our complete Spanish tutorial. Here we will cover everything from the very basics of the language to more advanced concepts. By the end of this tutorial, you should be able to hold a basic conversation in Spanish and have a good understanding of the grammar. Let's get started!

Basics

The first thing you need to know is how to introduce yourself. Say "Hola, me llamo _____" (Hello, my name is _____). To ask someone else's name, say "¿Cómo te llamas?" (What is your name?).

Spanish has two main pronouns that you need to know - "yo" (I) and "tú" (you). These are used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Yo soy un estudiante" (I am a student). "Tú eres un estudiante" (You are a student).

Now let's learn some basic verbs. The first one is "ser", which means "to be". This is used to describe what someone or something is. For example, "Soy un estudiante" (I am a student). The second verb is "tener", which means "to have". This is used to describe what someone has. For example, "Tengo un hermano" (I have a brother).

Finally, let's learn the days of the week and the months of the year. The days of the week are lunes (Monday), martes (Tuesday), miércoles (Wednesday), jueves (Thursday), viernes (Friday), sábado (Saturday), and domingo (Sunday). The months of the year are enero (January), febrero (February), marzo (March), abril (April), mayo (May), junio (June), julio (July), agosto (August), septiembre (September), octubre (October), noviembre (November), and diciembre (December).

Now let's put everything we've learned so far together and practice making sentences. Remember, the subject goes before the verb in Spanish. For example, "Yo como una manzana" (I eat an apple). "Tú bebes una Coca-Cola" (You drink a Coca-Cola). "Él come un sándwich" (He eats a sandwich).

Greetings and Farewells

In Spanish, there are different greetings and farewells for different times of the day.

For morning, you can say "Buenos días" (Good morning), "Buenas tardes" (Good afternoon), or "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

For afternoon, you can say "Buenas tardes" (Good afternoon) or "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

For evening, you can say "Buenas noches" (Good evening/night).

To say "Hello" at any time of the day, you can also say "Hola" (Hello).

To say "Goodbye", you can say "Adiós" (Bye), "Hasta luego" (See you later), or "Hasta mañana" (See you tomorrow).

You can also say "¡Que tengas un buen día!" (Have a nice day!) or "¡Que tengas una buena noche!" (Have a good night!).

Questions

In Spanish, there are two types of questions - those that require a yes or no answer, and those that require more information.

Yes/No questions are formed by adding the word "¿" at the beginning of the sentence and "?" at the end. For example, "¿Hablas español?" (Do you speak Spanish?).

Questions that require more information are formed by adding the word "¿" at the beginning of the sentence, changing the word order so that the subject comes after the verb, and adding "?" at the end. For example, "¿Hablas español?" (Where do you live?), "¿Cuál es tu nombre?" (What is your name?), "¿Cómo estás?" (How are you?), or "¿De dónde eres?" (Where are you from?).

To ask "Who?", you use the word "¿Quién?". For example, "¿Quién eres tú?" (Who are you?).

To ask "What?", you use the word "¿Qué?". For example, "¿Qué quieres?" (What do you want?).

To ask "When?", you use the word "¿Cuándo?". For example, "¿Cuándo es tu cumpleaños?" (When is your birthday?).

To ask "Where?", you use the word "¿Dónde?". For example, "¿Dónde estás?" (Where are you?).

To ask "Why?", you use the word "¿Por qué?". For example, "¿Por qué no?" (Why not?).

To ask "Which?", you use the word "¿Cuál?". For example, "¿Cuál es tu favorito?" (Which is your favorite?).

To ask "How much/many?", you use the word "¿Cuánto/a?". For example, "¿Cuántos años tienes?" (How old are you?).

To ask "How?", you use the word "¿Cómo?". For example, "¿Cómo estás?" (How are you?).

To ask "Can you?", you use the word "¿Puedes?". For example, "¿Puedes hablar más despacio?" (Can you speak more slowly?).

To say "I don't know", you say "No sé". For example, "No sé" (I don't know).

To say "I don't understand", you say "No entiendo". For example, "No entiendo" (I don't understand).

To say "Please", you use the word "Por favor". For example, "Por favor" (Please).

To say "Thank you", you use the word "Gracias". For example, "Gracias" (Thank you).

To say "You're welcome", you use the word "De nada". For example, "De nada" (You're welcome).

To say "Excuse me", you use the word "Disculpe". For example, "Disculpe" (Excuse me).

To say "I'm sorry", you use the word "Lo siento". For example, "Lo siento" (I'm sorry).

Negatives

In Spanish, to make a sentence negative, you add the word "no" before the verb. For example, "No hablo español" (I don't speak Spanish).

You can also use the word "no" to say "not" after the verb. For example, "Hablo español, no inglés" (I speak Spanish, not English).

To say "never", you use the word "nunca". For example, "Nunca como carne" (I never eat meat).

To say "nothing", you use the word "nada". For example, "No quiero nada" (I don't want anything).

To say "nobody", you use the word "ningún". For example, "Ningún estudiante va al colegio" (No students go to school).

To say "nowhere", you use the word "ningún". For example, "No voy a ningún lugar" (I'm not going anywhere).

To say "no one", you use the word "ninguno". For example, "Ninguno de mis amigos habla español" (None of my friends speak Spanish).

Possession

In Spanish, there are two ways to show possession - with the possessive adjectives "mi", "tu", "su", "nuestro", "vuestro", and "su" or with the possessive pronoun "mío", "tuyo", "suyo", "nuestro", "vuestro", and "suyo".

The possessive adjective goes before the noun it modifies, and the possessive pronoun replaces the noun. For example, "Mi hermano es alto" (My brother is tall) or "El mío es bajo" (Mine is short).

Here are some examples of how to use the possessive adjectives:

"Mi casa es grande" (My house is big).

"Tu perro es bonito" (Your dog is cute).

"Su coche es nuevo" (His/her car is new).

"Nuestro gato es negro" (Our cat is black).

"Vuestro país es bonito" (Your country is beautiful).

"Su comida es deliciosa" (Their food is delicious).

To form a possessive pronoun, you take the possessive adjective and add an -o if the noun it modifies is masculine, -a if the noun is feminine, or -os if the noun is plural. For example, "La casa es mía" (The house is mine) or "Los libros son nuestros" (The books are ours).

Pronouns

As we mentioned before, there are two main pronouns in Spanish - "yo" (I) and "tú" (you). These are used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Yo soy un estudiante" (I am a student). "Tú eres un estudiante" (You are a student).

The next two pronouns are "él" (he) and "ella" (she). These are used when the subject of the sentence is a man or a woman respectively. For example, "Él es un estudiante" (He is a student). "Ella es una estudiante" (She is a student).

The next pronoun is "ellos" (they, masculine) or "ellas" (they, feminine). These are used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people of either gender. For example, "Ellos son estudiantes" (They are students). "Ellas son estudiantes" (They are students).

The pronoun "nosotros" (we) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the speaker. For example, "Nosotros somos estudiantes" (We are students).

The pronoun "vosotros" (you all) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the person being addressed. For example, "Vosotros sois estudiantes" (You all are students).

The pronoun "ustedes" (you all) is used when the subject of the sentence is a group of people including the person being addressed. For example, "Ustedes son estudiantes" (You all are students).

Verbs

The first verb we're going to learn is "ser", which means "to be". This is used to describe what someone or something is. For example, "Soy un estudiante" (I am a student).

The next verb is "tener", which means "to have". This is used to describe what someone has. For example, "Tengo un hermano" (I have a brother).

The endings for regular verbs are -o, -as, -a, -amos, -áis, -an for masculine subjects, -o, -es, -e, -emos, -éis, -en for feminine subjects, and -o, -es, -e, -imos, -ís, -en for plural subjects.

The next verb is "vivir", which means "to live". I live, you live, he/she/it lives, we live, you all live, they live.

Now let's try a verb that ends in -ir, like "escribir" (to write). I write, you write, he/she/it writes, we write, you all write, they write.

The next verb is "abrir", which means "to open". I open, you open, he/she/it opens, we open, you all open, they open.

The next verb is "cerrar", which means "to close". I close, you close, he/she/it closes, we close, you all close, they close.

The next verb is "poder", which means "to be able to". I can, you can, he/she/it can, we can, you all can, they can.

The next verb is "querer", which means "to want". I want, you want, he/she/it wants, we want, you all want, they want.

The next verb is "venir", which means "to come". I come, you come, he/she/it comes, we come, you all come, they come.

The next verb is "decir", which means "to say" or "to tell". I say, you say, he/she/it says, we say, you all say, they say.

write an joke about a pig and a dog that had a fight over who was the best pet, in Spanish

El cerdo y el perro tuvieron una pelea porque el perro dijo que era el mejor mascota. El cerdo se río y dijo: "¿Cómo puedes ser el mejor mascota si te comen?" El perro pensó un poco y dijo: "Bueno, al menos no me comerán con salsa."
2 x

ryanheise
Green Belt

Postby ryanheise » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 am

zenmonkey wrote:pretty cool!! But style in this example is mediocre.

Prompt: Write a few paragraphs about the value of the site language-learners.org

The website language-learners.org is a great resource for people who want to learn a new language. The site offers a variety of resources that can help people learn a new language. The site has a forum where people can ask questions and get help from other language learners. The site also has a blog where people can read about language learning tips and tricks. The site also has a library of resources that people can use to learn a new language. The site is a great resource for

You can actually tell GPT-3 what style to write in. It's quite versatile:

Prompt: Write a marketing campaign highlighting the value of the site language-learners.org.

Welcome to language-learners.org! Our site is dedicated to helping language learners of all levels improve their skills. We offer a variety of resources, including:

-A comprehensive database of language learning resources

-A forum for language learners to connect and share tips

-A blog with articles on language learning tips and strategies

-A directory of language schools and programs

We believe that learning a new language can be a rewarding and enriching experience, and we are committed to helping our members reach their language learning goals. Thank you for choosing language-learners.org!
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:06 pm

GPT3 wrote:1. Find a partner. This can be done online or in person. If you find a partner online, be sure to check their credentials and make sure they are a reputable source.

*Bzzt*
Stepped off the track there. Pivoted on the credentials idea to advice on finding reliable information
3. Determine the language exchange format. There are a few different ways to do a language exchange:
- One person teaches the other person the language for an hour, and then they switch.
- The two people alternate between speaking their native language and the language they are trying to learn.
- The two people use a language exchange website or app where they can chat with each other.

*Bzzt*
What I call "asymmetric lists" -- you see these on machine-generated ad traps.
It flips to a different dimension of categorisation on the last item.
3 x

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:15 pm

It can be used to get information from fictional characters:

Prompt: It was early morning in Mordor, when we met The Mouth of Sauron, passing by with some of his minions. We asked him: "What are the powers of the Dark Lord's Ring?"

He spoke: "The Dark Lord's Ring grants some measure of control over the element of fire. It can be used to create fire, or to quench it. It can be used to give heat, or to take it away. It can be used to make things burn, or to keep them from burning. The Ring also gives the wearer the ability to see in the dark, and to track the movements of those who wear it."

The Mouth of Sauron then added: "But the true power of the Dark Lord's Ring lies in its ability to control the minds of those who wear it. The Ring can be used to influence the thoughts and emotions of those who wear it, and to bend them to the will of the Dark Lord. The Ring can also be used to create illusions, and to deceive the wearer into believing that they are seeing things that are not really there."

The Mouth of Sauron then continued: "But the most dangerous power of the Dark Lord's Ring is its ability to corrupt the hearts of those who wear it. The Ring can tempting them with power, and seducing them with its promises. The Ring can lead them down the path of darkness, and turn them into servants of the Dark Lord. The Dark Lord's Ring is a thing of evil, and those who wear it are in danger of being corrupted by its power."

Prompt: "Is that all it can do?", we asked.

"No", he replied. "The Dark Lord's Ring also grants the wearer the ability to see into the future. But the future is ever-changing, and the Dark Lord's Ring can only show the wearer a glimpse of what might be. The wearer of the Dark Lord's Ring must be careful, for the power of the Ring can be used for good or for evil. The Ring can be used to help the wearer achieve their goals, but it can also be used to destroy them."

With that, The Mouth of Sauron turned and walked away, leaving us with much to think about.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”