Efficiency of Reading transcripts with audio

General discussion about learning languages
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Efficiency of Reading transcripts with audio

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:16 am

I've had good luck using transcripts and audio to boost my comprehension. I rarely read them at the same time however, and often do transcriptions. You can see more about the methods I use here: https://gaeilgechonamara.com/how-to-bes ... any-level/
4 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Re: Efficiency of Reading transcripts with audio

Postby s_allard » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:12 pm

To add to all the good suggestions that have been made so far, I would like to describe something that I have been doing lately with my all my tutors. The most challenging form of audio is conversational material, especially in a group setting. In Youtube the automatically generated subtitles are full of mistakes, incomplete and often very misleading.

What I do is watch the video a few times to first of all identify the passages where I just can’t figure out what is being said. This can be mispronunciations, proper nouns, clipped forms, contractions, dialectisms, slang words, etc.

At this point I have a general understanding of the conversation. I transcribe short passages for future use. With the tutor I may jump around to those passages where I don’t know what is being said. Or we’ll listen to entire sections. What I find interesting is that as we listen together I often stop to discuss points of comprehension.

What I’m now discovering is that all along I’ve been missing all kinds of details that I simply wasn’t aware of. I’m realizing that I really thought I was understanding more than I really did. It has been very enlightening.
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”