Can we use "そうですね" instead "そうです" in some situation?

General discussion about learning languages
nchansit
Languages: Thai

Can we use "そうですね" instead "そうです" in some situation?

Postby nchansit » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:23 pm

I understand that "そうですね" is use for agree with the speaker or sometime meaning like "isn't it?".

But I saw some sentences seem it’s mean like "That's right" or "Yes" and it's not use for agreement but seems synonym with "そうです" example in this link.

https://nihongomaster.com/japanese/dictionary/w...

1. そうですね。下手にでてばかりもなんだし。かつ、倫理的ですね。
That's right. It's written in an unassuming fashion, and it's an ethical standpoint as well.

2. そうですね。毎日練習する事が必要ですよ。
Yes, you need to practice every day.

Or this conversation which I found,

https://web.archive.org/web/20090804085417/http...

Q.15 「ふたりはプリキュア」から「ふたりはプリキュアMaxHeart」になった時には進級がありましたが、「Yes!プリキュア5」から「Yes!プリキュア5GoGo」で進級がなかったのは、こまち、かれんが卒業してしまうからでしょうか?

A. そうですね、高校生になるとか、学年が変わるということがやっぱり気にはなりました。番組を続ける議論のなかでは3年生は卒業させて新しいプリキュアを入れるべきだという話もありましたが、「プリキュア5」というのはこの5人以外あり得ない、この5人であるからこそ「プリキュア5」なんだよっていうことを言い続けた結果ああなりました。

In these examples especially the first two,"そうですね"meaning seem isn't agreement but synonym with "そうです" but I am not sure about the last conversation. Please explain about it. And I want to know can I use "そうですね" instead "そうです" in some situation?
1 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Re: Can we use "そうですね" instead "そうです" in some situation?

Postby alaart » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Basically: そう describes the perspective of the speaking partner ( and こう would in contrast be your own but it's not relevant here)

So if you say そう(casual)、or そうです。(polite) it basically means "what you say", which can be translated to "That's right." "Exactly" "Yes" etc.

The ね , is like "isn't it" like in:
暑いですね。It's hot, isn't it?

but ね also makes the statement softer.

So そうですね。means - "it's like you said, isn't it?" - but in a soft way.

A: Lately the prices are rising because of inflation.
B: そうですね。先日に油を買って、5ドラになりました。
How to translate that? I'd maybe capture it like "Yeah, I know. The other day I bought some oil, and it was already 5 Dollar." - so a bit soft. (not like the English: "They are rising, aren't they"? Which would be something like そうでしょう。)

So it's a soft agreement. You agree, and you can add something afterwards. I guess it's very neutral in a way because in Japanese you might agree even if you have a different opinion.

But a lot of times it is also used just as a filler. You can translate it to the English "Well.." when answering a question.

I think in interviews you can hear that a lot. Here I just opened a quick interview and clicked on the first person, and there it was, the first word そうですね。
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:33 am

Sorry for the short answer, but yes, almost always.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

nchansit
Languages: Thai

Postby nchansit » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:45 am

alaart wrote:Basically: そう describes the perspective of the speaking partner ( and こう would in contrast be your own but it's not relevant here)

So if you say そう(casual)、or そうです。(polite) it basically means "what you say", which can be translated to "That's right." "Exactly" "Yes" etc.

The ね , is like "isn't it" like in:
暑いですね。It's hot, isn't it?

but ね also makes the statement softer.

So そうですね。means - "it's like you said, isn't it?" - but in a soft way.

A: Lately the prices are rising because of inflation.
B: そうですね。先日に油を買って、5ドラになりました。
How to translate that? I'd maybe capture it like "Yeah, I know. The other day I bought some oil, and it was already 5 Dollar." - so a bit soft. (not like the English: "They are rising, aren't they"? Which would be something like そうでしょう。)

So it's a soft agreement. You agree, and you can add something afterwards. I guess it's very neutral in a way because in Japanese you might agree even if you have a different opinion.

But a lot of times it is also used just as a filler. You can translate it to the English "Well.." when answering a question.

I think in interviews you can hear that a lot. Here I just opened a quick interview and clicked on the first person, and there it was, the first word そうですね。

What about third example which it's conversation? Do you think "そうですね" in this case synonym "そうです"?
0 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:54 pm

The third example is from an interview.

そうですね isn't the same as そうです.
そうです is more like "exactly", and そうですね is much weaker and not as affirmative and a bit more neutral, although it does agree to some extent. Maybe something like "Well, I guess you could say that" "Yes, that is true to a certain extent" "Yeah, but also"

I usually don't bother translating Japanese phrases exactly. I think it's best to accept a certain ambiguity which is just part of the language, and which can't really be translated easily.

In the 3rd example I guess the interviewer asks why in the new game the (presumably) school characters didn't advance to the next school year, and if that is because the cute character or cuteness of some sort would graduate with it and disappear.

The answer is そうですね。"By becoming high school students the students would change, that is something that entered my mind. We also discussed adding new characters [...]"

So you can see. It's like he agrees to a certain point and adds reasons and thoughts to the previous explanation. Also it's a bit of a filler to give him a bit of time to think.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”