Why do you do this, Youtube? (translating titles)

General discussion about learning languages
CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Re: Why do you do this, Youtube?

Postby CDR » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:23 am

I have separate YouTube Channels for each language, so I was surprised when video titles in Portuguese were popping up on my english YT account. After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to take a closer look next time I saw one. Tonight I noticed more of these videos, and noticed the channel name was in Chinese. It was a Chinese TV show, but it had PT subtitles.

I only see these auto translated PT titles on my English YT account if I am on my phone, where the language is set to Portuguese. If I look on the computer, where my language is set to English, it won't recommend videos with titles auto-translated into PT.

On my computer, if I switch to my Japanese Youtube account (The YouTube language is set to Japanese), it will recommend English videos to me, but the titles are auto-translated to Japanese.

Others in the thread had mentioned this might be the case, I think this confirms it, at least for me :lol:

I downloaded a locale switcher for Chrome, it changes the locale your browser reports to websites, without changing your browser's actual interface language (this is way faster than drilling down the menu each time, and then having to restart the browser).

I set it to Japanese, refreshed the page, and I haven't run into any English videos in disguise on my Japanese account yet.
3 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Re: Why do you do this, Youtube? (translating titles)

Postby tungemål » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 am

Has anyone found a solution to turn off automatically translated titles?

It's annoying me. It might be something the creator sets on their video, but I should have the option to view the original title no matter what my language setting is. If I set my language to English I might avoid it, but then again I'd get Dutch videos translated into English.
2 x

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:43 am

I have changed my youtube language and location settings to France, hoping to see more French content, but it only shows the the same English content I'm used to, but with some titles translated to French.

I tried the locale changer, but it did not make much of a difference. I guess I need to set up a new account to get rid of my english-watching history.

I'm using from Brazil, and youtube gives me almost no content in Portuguese, it knows I mostly consume English content they must think I'm a foreigner here.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:43 pm

Odair wrote:I have changed my youtube language and location settings to France
How about vpn?
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

masonjones57
Languages: English(N), Spanish(begginer)

Postby masonjones57 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Yes, some people believe that it helps promote the video among other countries
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”