Total votes: 37

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: InterConnection between Language Learning and Acquisition

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:10 pm

luke wrote:How helpful do you find learning about your language (grammar / rules) in actual usage?

I'm quoting just to shine light on the above sentence. I don't think being shown grammar is learning 'about' the language, it is just part of learning the language. It is either done explicitly by pointing to it and explaining it, or the same conclusion is reached by recognition of the patterns. The latter can be either fast or slow, and the former can also be fast or slow.

I'm pretty much convinced that whether grammar instruction is from a written book - and maybe even explained by a teacher - or if it is encountered by a student who is then verbally pointed to how it works or has a eureka moment, these are the same thing. We 'acquire' the grammar just as much. And even if grammar is some already built-in structure, if you're a Chinese or English native monoglot the grammar of e.g. Spanish isn't 'built into' your head. Otherwise you wouldn't have to learn it.

Any idea that a language's grammar is going to be 100% intuitive for the majority (maybe even all) learners without some explicit instruction, is also going to be a hogwash statement. Everyone looks up grammar points. The to-and-fro about grammar turns upon depth and amount 'necessary'. There is a core grammar you can't do without. If you don't learn it you might as well just pack it in and go home because you won't learn the language or be able to use it. What that core is going to be will depend on what you want to do at a certain time, it can expand, but it has a limit. Everything past that is refining and depth. I think it's a good thing to encounter grammar rules in action, but these will often need to be illuminated at times or you get stuck. Sometimes you already know them and only need your memory to be jogged. This is where explicit instruction and grammar in use meet. Same thing different aspects.

I agree with BeaP that instruction saves a lot of time.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:08 pm

Le Baron wrote:
luke wrote:How helpful do you find learning about your language (grammar / rules) in actual usage?

I'm quoting just to shine light on the above sentence. I don't think being shown grammar is learning 'about' the language, it is just part of learning the language.

I do not disagree with your overall point and agree with you and BeaP and those who say grammar is helpful and maybe even necessary for foreign language learning and perhaps some native languages as well.

But on the ''about the language' versus 'is part of the language', there's nuance. Taking Music Theory as an analog... Many great musicians don't know music theory. Most at least know the 'names' of chords and notes, but even that's not universal. To me, this is similar to 'grammar', in that one doesn't need to know noun, verb, adverb, preposition, etc, if their native language is English. I learned that noun was "person, place or thing", and a verb was an "action word", but very little more even after I'd graduated from university. Some years later, someone added 'idea' to the list of things that are nouns. I've heard other definitions of noun, such as "a word you can put 'the' in front of". My point is that the language skills of a native speaker are often not limited or even influenced by knowledge of grammar.

You did state that grammar can be learned intuitively, and that's true, although the 'grammar' won't be conceptualized the same way. There is a certain 'metaness' (aboutness) with explicit grammar.

Educated people like you and BeaP are often assisted by theoretical frameworks, such as grammar. Perhaps this is the nexus of debate between the 'no grammar' and 'grammar is necessary' folks. An uneducated person may have difficulty with the theoretical framework and may not find it helpful when they're trying to go about their life in a foreign language.

But I'm sure there are well-informed people who think the 'no grammar' folks are peddling snake oil, and they may be right.

I've been curious what position the board members took on the 'debate'. It's always enlightening to read your discussions.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:29 pm

I take your point on the music theory, plenty play well by ear. Though look at Paul McCartney, when he wrote his A Leaf for solo piano, he had to get someone else to write it down. Maybe that doesn't matter, but having at least a basic framework makes you an independent user. And in truth is McCartney does know some theory, both intuitively picking up on structure and some technical things like chord names, he just doesn't know how to write notation. You outlined this so I won't harp on it. (Harp :lol: ).

It's true what you say about native speakers and also that even imperfect and 'wrong' grammar often has minimal impact upon their ability to speak the language. Even though people will notice and even remark upon that. It's definitely possible to pick up grammar in use and to do well.
Having things brought to your attention just speeds it up. I agree that some will get bogged-down with theory, though this is often due to the misconception that you have to go from cover to cover in a full grammar text, but you don't. They are called 'reference grammars' and should be used as such. Just like a dictionary is a reference book and that the plan isn't that we read from A to Z. If someone is doing well picking up grammar in a purely spoken acquisition I'm not going to dissuade them. They may have some things to straighten out if they turn to writing, but maybe not so much.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Odair wrote:Whereas one can be fluent with zero grammar, one has to be aware of grammar rules in order to produce a text that is on a par with what is expected from a native speaker. All educated speakers learn grammar in school. If uneducated native speakers can't speak or write their own language "correctly", what hope can a foreigner have?

This is a common misunderstanding of what "grammar" is.

What you're talking about is "prescriptivist grammar", where some authority tells people how they should speak. But there's another approach -- "descriptivist grammar", where the rules are written based on how people do speak.

If the rules in a grammar say a native speaker is speaking "wrong", then it's actually the grammar that's wrong.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Cainntear wrote:If the rules in a grammar say a native speaker is speaking "wrong", then it's actually the grammar that's wrong.

No, it isn't wrong. It's just that there is a divide, as in most languages, between the described rules and the uncontrollable mass employment of them.

All this would just turn in a big circle when trying to argue against it. Since the rules themselves are derived from the speech in use - regardless of deviations, errors, poor understanding, memes... Until the grammar as unwritten becomes so different that the description changes. If all instances of spoken grammar are always 'right' it would be impossible to derive general rules.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:31 pm

luke wrote:But on the ''about the language' versus 'is part of the language', there's nuance.

Yes, there is; but I think you're conflating "bad teaching of grammar" with "grammar". This is more common in the English-speaking world than anywhere else, because most of the grammar teaching we've been exposed to is bad teaching.

For example, people keep insisting that you can't call a noun a "naming word", because it's "a noun", and that's the only proper term for it because it's more than names.

But quite a lot of languages call it a name, or a namer, or something similar. In fact, the ridiculous thing is that "noun" is just a corruption of a Norman French word meaning literally "name".

We use words like "adjective" which are inherently meaningless to a monolingual native speaker, but were meaningful to Ancient Romans. We copy their terminology, and ignore their logic: they invented terminology to explain things, not to obscure.

I learned that noun was "person, place or thing", and a verb was an "action word", but very little more even after I'd graduated from university. Some years later, someone added 'idea' to the list of things that are nouns. I've heard other definitions of noun, such as "a word you can put 'the' in front of". My point is that the language skills of a native speaker are often not limited or even influenced by knowledge of grammar.

So... bad teaching.

I've shared before how I teach the basic parts of speech.

I write the following sentences (but one at a time):
I have a _______.
I ______ it.
I have a _____ house.

I get students to give me a list of words that go in the gaps. (I do one at a time, not all three.)

They give me lots of right answers, and few wrong answers, then I say "we call those nouns", "we call those verbs" and "those are adjectives".

Wrong answers to nouns usually start with vowels, which are legitimate nouns and only fail to fit because of the a/an rule. Some people get overenthusiastic and give whole noun phrases (e.g. big pink elephant).

The verbs typically start in the present but also go into the past. Sometimes I get more than one word in the answer, and we get will do, would like etc.

If I get a wrong answer with an adjective, it's again on a technicality of having more than one word, and I get qualified adjectives -- "really big" etc.

All of it shows that the concept of nouns, verbs and adjectives are already well-formed in the students' heads, including the recognition of phrasal units as belonging to the same part of speech as individual words, and the goal of (native language) grammar instruction isn't to teach what these concepts are, but to draw conscious attention to them so that we can gain conscious command.

Why is conscious command important to the native speaker? Because there will be times that we are conscious of our own language production, not least of all writing -- very few people can genuinely "write like they speak" because when they slow down to write, they lose the grasp of their automatic processes.

So yes... natives... but what does that mean for non-natives?

Well, first up, those same unconscious processes we use for spontaneous L1 speech can interfere with our L2. Having some level of conscious command of both L1 and L2 grammars gives us a means of actively fighting that interference.

More than that, though, it's not only writing in our native language that combines our conscious and unconscious command of language: whenever we find ourselves asked to speak in a formal setting -- delivering an unscripted or semi-scripted speech, being interviewed by a radio host or a police office -- we also blend the conscious and unconscious; we "speak in writing", almost. Every day in our native language we blend this way, so why wouldn't we want to in a foreign language? And if the conscious variable is the easiest part of the equation for us to make improvements on, doesn't it make sense to put some focus on it?

So here...
You did state that grammar can be learned intuitively, and that's true, although the 'grammar' won't be conceptualized the same way. There is a certain 'metaness' (aboutness) with explicit grammar.

...it's less meta than you think. Unless we're talking about bad grammar descriptions that confuse more than they clarify.

Educated people like you and BeaP are often assisted by theoretical frameworks, such as grammar. Perhaps this is the nexus of debate between the 'no grammar' and 'grammar is necessary' folks. An uneducated person may have difficulty with the theoretical framework and may not find it helpful when they're trying to go about their life in a foreign language.

...which is why grammar descriptions need to be more and more intuitive. Allowing the pro-grammar narrative to be controlled by the old public school with their dry technical descriptions and their arbitrary invented rules about needing to never split infinitives or how prepositions are terrible things to end clauses with holds us back.

We need to stand up for grammar while rejecting that sort of thing.

[quote]But I'm sure there are well-informed people who think the 'no grammar' folks are peddling snake oil, and they may be right.[quote]
Good "no grammar" instruction doesn't exist -- every teacher teaches grammar, so traditionally it hasn't often been snake oil -- it's proper antibiotics in a bottle marked "snake oil". The big gurus have convinced themselves of their own hype, but that's not immediately damaging because their practices still work.

The real problem now, though, is that the internet has enabled non-teachers to push the snake oil wagon, and they don't have the experience or ability to unconsciously hide the grammar in the method.
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:39 pm

Le Baron wrote:

I'm quoting just to shine light on the above sentence. I don't think being shown grammar is learning 'about' the language, it is just part of learning the language. It is either done explicitly by pointing to it and explaining it, or the same conclusion is reached by recognition of the patterns. The latter can be either fast or slow, and the former can also be fast or slow.
I agree with BeaP that instruction saves a lot of time.

I agree almost entirely with you here.

The one caveat is that some grammar instruction is so divorced from the language that it is indeed learning "about" the language. But that's either a) stuff aimed at the study of linguistics or b) just really bad grammar instruction.
Le Baron wrote:
Cainntear wrote:If the rules in a grammar say a native speaker is speaking "wrong", then it's actually the grammar that's wrong.

No, it isn't wrong. It's just that there is a divide, as in most languages, between the described rules and the uncontrollable mass employment of them.

You're putting this backwards though -- native speakers don't "employ described rules", grammar books "describe employed rules".

No grammar is ever going to describe every permitted variation in a language exhaustively, and as long as that is recognised in the grammar, the grammar is not "wrong", but merely "incomplete".

A grammar becomes "wrong" when it states "anything that doesn't follow the rules in this book is wrong".

All this would just turn in a big circle when trying to argue against it. Since the rules themselves are derived from the speech in use - regardless of deviations, errors, poor understanding, memes... Until the grammar as unwritten becomes so different that the description changes. If all instances of spoken grammar are always 'right' it would be impossible to derive general rules.

You cannot derive universal rules, but if you analyse native language statistically, you can find the general rules in the sense of "the ones most commonly applied".

For example, I would only ever teach "If you told me, I would help" to English learners, but I would never describe "If you would tell me, I would help" as wrong, because I know it's legitimate dialectal variation. It's just less common, so it's less useful to learners.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Cainntear wrote:You're putting this backwards though -- native speakers don't "employ described rules", grammar books "describe employed rules".

I'm putting it forwards. I didn't even say that. I said described rules are derived from language in use and those rules which arise from communication agreement in use, not that speakers employ described theoretical rules.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:14 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Cainntear wrote:You're putting this backwards though -- native speakers don't "employ described rules", grammar books "describe employed rules".

I'm putting it forwards. I didn't even say that. I said described rules are derived from language in use and those rules which arise from communication agreement in use, not that speakers employ described theoretical rules.

You said:
there is a divide... between the described rules and the uncontrollable mass employment of them.

Them = "described rules", no?

Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but you did say it.
1 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:25 pm

You might be talking about two different things. Just because some native speakers (independently of each other) use a structure in a certain way, it doesn't automatically become 'permitted'. Correct usage is something that is correct according to the majority of users, a group living in a certain area (dialect) or basically any other large group connected by something. Luke might be right in that our mother tongue plays a role here, but native speakers of Hungarian do make mistakes, especially in writing. (But in speaking as well.) These mistakes have two important features: most native speakers living in the same area consider them incorrect, and usage is not consistent. When the same person uses 2 different suffixes in the same situation randomly, I know that they have no idea which one is correct.

Good grammars describe the 'permitted' variations pretty well with sentences like this: 'This structure is considered incorrect in formal texts, but it's very frequent in spoken Spanish, especially in the south.'
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”