French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

chat with Pablo Román of Dreaming Spanish

Postby Kraut » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:56 am

https://hackernoon.com/revolutionizing- ... ablo-roman

Revolutionizing Language Learning with Dreaming Spanish Creator, Pablo Román

In this slogging AMA, we chat with Pablo Román of Dreaming Spanish. Dreaming Spanish is a video platform for Spanish learners where all the content is entirely in Spanish yet there are comprehensible videos for students of every level. Their method is based on Language Immersion and Dr. Stephen Krashen's hypothesis around Comprehensible Input.
2 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Re: chat with Pablo Román of Dreaming Spanish

Postby anitarrc » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Gracias amigo..
¿ Hay algo en español en este enlace?
Él audio que escuché fue inglés norteamericano..
Quizás podrías pegar en enlace directo al blog español ( no tengo la mínima idea que es un sloghing AMA)
0 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:54 pm

anitarrc wrote:Gracias amigo..
Quizás podrías pegar en enlace directo al blog español ( no tengo la mínima idea que es un sloghing AMA)

AMA = Ask Me Anything
slogging = walking slowly with labour

Asi "slogging AMA" es una entrevista inconexa.
2 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:59 am

Kraut wrote:https://hackernoon.com/revolutionizing-language-learning-with-dreaming-spanish-creator-pablo-roman

Revolutionizing Language Learning with Dreaming Spanish Creator, Pablo Román

In this slogging AMA, we chat with Pablo Román of Dreaming Spanish. Dreaming Spanish is a video platform for Spanish learners where all the content is entirely in Spanish yet there are comprehensible videos for students of every level. Their method is based on Language Immersion and Dr. Stephen Krashen's hypothesis around Comprehensible Input.

Frankly, this smells like click bait to me. First of all, the link is not to a real recorded chat with Pablo Romàn but with text-to-speech recording of some trivial material that certainly does not look like the transcript of an interview. Here is a link to a real conversation between Pablo and Steve Kaufman :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JP_X3esBo&ab_channel=SteveKaufmann-lingosteve

It’s very interesting because Steve asks some great questions but the answers from Pablo, in my opinion, are rather vague.

Secondly, nobody is against comprehensible input but I am highly skeptical about any method that is based solely on comprehensible input and no formal study of the language. I would love to see a video of somebody saying : I didn’t know a word of Spanish and then after only a year of an hour a day of Dreaming Spanish at the premium level I passed a B1 (or whatever level) exam from the Instituto Cervantes. Here is the certificate to prove it.

Instead there is a ton of reviews and comments of people who claim that their Spanish has improved a lot with this program. I guess there must be some value to it.

As skeptical as I might sound, I will say that I liked much of the advanced material of the Dreaming Spanish website for my own learning and I am tempted to subscribe at the very reasonable price of $8 monthly. What is holding me back is the fact that I have subscription fatigue and I’m losing track of all my subscriptions.
4 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:37 am

s_allard wrote:
Frankly, this smells like click bait to me. First of all, the link is not to a real recorded chat with Pablo Romàn but with text-to-speech recording of some trivial material that certainly does not look like the transcript of an interview. Here is a link to a real conversation between Pablo and Steve Kaufman :

Thank you. You understood me better than the original poster. That is exactly what i meant, how does some US marketing waffle make me dream in Spanish.

To the point.. When I arrived in Central America with some serious advanced studies of Spanish wreckyards and Santana/Ebro workshop manuals as my linguistic preparation (yes I had one year of Spanish many years ago), I soon enough worked out that my Spanish wasn't good enough. I went to church and helped out, so soon had I learned every item of cooking gear and roof building material.
Then I read... simply everything. Which is not easy in a country where librerias sell anything but books.
When my ex disappeared I never had to translate to English again.
That was the point when I started dreaming in Spanish

After a year, like everybody predicted, I had no trouble explaining the workings of a gearbox, engine or a mobile phone in Spanish.

To be fair, I owe a good deal to my ex boss who kept correcting me.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:58 am

The link was in the very first sentence that you quoted, you should have clicked on "Dreaming Spanish".
In this slogging AMA, we chat with Pablo Román of Dreaming Spanish.

It would have led you to the site, with all the details on the teachers, the method, the levels and the material.
What is interesting here is the Questions and Answers collection of the people using Dreaming Spanish.
We have mentioned Dreaming Spanish and its usefulness many times on LLORG, es un viejo conocido (but don't write Spanish only in this section, you will be reprimanded by moderators).
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:37 pm

s_allard wrote:

Frankly, this smells like click bait to me. First of all, the link is not to a real recorded chat with Pablo Romàn but with text-to-speech recording of some trivial material that certainly does not look like the transcript of an interview.

It isn't clickbait. It is an AMA, in which people ask things to Pablo Román and he responds, but it seems to be taken from some written platform like Reddit, with the audio made with text-to-speech software. Frankly I'd rather look at the original thing, rather than listen to a machine. No link to a Reddit post or similar is given though.

Kraut wrote:

The link was in the very first sentence that you quoted, you should have clicked on "Dreaming Spanish".

It's true the whole AMA is in English though, which was anitarrc's point, who was probably expecting it to be in Spanish. However I'm not saying it being in English is a bad thing, after all, the intended audience is people who speak English and want to learn Spanish (or some other language).
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:29 pm

s_allard wrote:Here is a link to a real conversation between Pablo and Steve Kaufman :

It’s very interesting because Steve asks some great questions but the answers from Pablo, in my opinion, are rather vague.

I agree with your assessment there...

For anyone curious but not willing to watch the 13-minute video, I'd paraphrase Steve Kaufmann's questions this way:
- Regarding university language classes, why is it often assumed that learning has to be "synchronous"? That is, with a teacher lecturing and the students learning the same thing. Why not limit the lecture to an hour, and let the students consume a variety of things out of a catalog or such?
- In the very beginning, a learner knows nothing, so people often say there's no possible comprehensible input. How does a pure comprehensible input approach deal with the level zero stage?
- There is an abundance of beginner material, but intermediate materials are a problem to make, particularly because word frequency in a language drops off very fast. Yet at this stage using authentic materials is often still too difficult. How can intermediate resources for comprehensible input that are both interesting yet not too difficult be created well?
- Language interference from the learner's native language onto the target language is well-known and common. How can new habits in the target language be fostered, including when the target language makes a distinction the learner's native language doesn't?
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:26 pm

"Slogging" in this case is a portmanteau of "slack" and "blogging". Slack is a chat system, so "slogging" is converting an archive of a chat to a blog.
Looks like the AMA happened on HackerNoon's own slack channel.
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:27 pm

There is of course a problem with zero beginners. Beyond that stage, at any stage, the Dreaming Spanish videos are extremely useful for consolidation and repitition. I may have a B1 level in Spanish but I enjoy watching beginners' videos.
They must have hundreds of videos now, for any taste.

--
Spanish with Alma ( she is one of the Dreaming Spanish creators)

In this video I use basic Spanish to tell you a story of something that happened to me as a child. Learn lots of useful Spanish words in a fun and natural way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZDxx1ItALA

EASY SPANISH STORY | IT HURTS! (WITH SPANISH CC)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”