IPA do you use/know it? (I'm not talking about Indian Pale Ale)

General discussion about learning languages

International Phonetic Alphabet freqency of use. 0=never 6=daily

17%
33%
13%
9%
3%
8%
17%

Total votes: 64

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Re: IPA do you use/know it? (I'm not talking about Indian Pale Ale)

Postby jimmy » Tue May 31, 2022 5:56 pm

golyplot wrote:
jimmy wrote:hahaha haha (now I am smiling in Turkish)
jajaja ja ja (I decided to smile in spanish just now)
ğağa ğa ğa (oh, gosh ! I am smiling in kurdish)

now I will ask you a question (smiling :) )

I provided smilings in three languages.

find please how I can smile in arabic or in chinese :) :) :) :)

haha haha ha ha

:)

I don't know about Chinese, but in Japanese, laughter is "fufufu" for some reason.

hahhahaha ha haha ha ha :) :) :)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:52 pm

I chose 2, meaning I am already vaguely aware of IPA, and I seem to recall trying to learn it 10 or 11 years ago (I think maybe I mentioned this in one of my logs on HTLAL, but I'm not certain) but I didn't get far. I think IPA is a useful, but somewhat flawed, tool for learning pronunciation. I am considering learning IPA properly in the hopes of improving my Finnish accent, but it's no substitute for listening more and speaking.
0 x

Jastreb
Languages: Finnish (N), English (C1), Esperanto (B2), Swedish (B1), Russian (A1-A2)

Postby Jastreb » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am

I use it frequently but not every day. Not actually so much for learning new languages, but often I use it to learn the pronounciations of English words I already know. I have learned English mostly from texts and with the spelling system being the mess it is there's little chance of getting my pronounciation correct without checking the IPA from Wiktionary.

I also make effort to pronounce all names as correctly as I can, no matter what language they are. For this I look up the IPA prounciations from Wikipedia. This way I don't need to learn the spelling systems of dozens of languages.
4 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Postby SpanishInput » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:28 pm

I voted 6 because I literally type it every day. I even created a variation of my keyboard layout that has the basic IPA symbols for Spanish. This way I can type the IPA really fast and don't need to constantly visit typeit.org or easypronunciation.com. Maybe later I'll finish adding all the IPA symbols and release it.

Of course I don't know all the symbols, only those relevant to Spanish and some very basic Spanish dialectal variations.

Fun fact: The RAE transcribes both Spanish semiconsonants and semivowels as i̯ and u̯, without making any distinction for whether they're semiconsonants or semivowels. However, online it's much more common to transcribe both as j and w (Maybe because browsers don't always render diacritics properly?). Buuuuut a couple of resources for Spanish learners make a distinction: They transcribe semiconsonants as j and w, but semivowels as i̯ and u̯. Which is quite helpful, because in less-than-perfect speech both j and w have a tendency to become ʝ and either β̞ or ɣ̞.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”