Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Definition of a Polyglot

Postby Cainntear » Sun May 29, 2022 7:27 am

tractor wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
tractor wrote:
Cainntear wrote:As yet, I have never met anyone outside of the internet language learner sphere who uses "polyglot" the way Simcott does.

Is the word "polyglot" used much at all outside of the internet language learner sphere?

Yes, just a bit differently. A bit less overall, and not sure whether better or worse. More vaguely, more as if talking about mythical beings. But sometimes also about people with ridiculously low amount of languages for the term (such as 4). There is no consistency that I could observe.

The reason I asked, was because I haven't really been part of an "offline" language learning community since I left university 20 years ago. As far as I can remember, polyglots weren't a frequent topic of discussion, but that was of course long before the advent of Youtube polyglots. My friends, family and colleagues don't talk much about polyglots either, and if the do, they'll probably not say "polyglot", but rather refer to them as somebody who "speaks many languages".

Ah well... there's the difference between active and passive vocabulary.

I asked several people what the word "polyglot" means and they all said basically "someone who speaks lots of languages". I think most people who're not involved in the "nu polyglottery" world would question whether the YouTube "language tourists*" are polyglots at all.

* HTLAL terminology. For those who weren't about back then, we played around with different ways to categorise different levels of interest in languages. I always tended to make a distinction between "day job" languages and "hobby" languages (I was studying a part-time degree in languages at the time, and frequently listening to the first few lessons of Pimsleur courses borrowed from the library) but a lot of other people talked about "language tourism" as a metaphor, because you'd visit and explore; you'd hang about for a short period of time, then go back to your normal life and not bother about the language much again.
4 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sun May 29, 2022 5:12 pm

Cainntear wrote:I think most people who're not involved in the "nu polyglottery" world would question whether the YouTube "language tourists*" are polyglots at all.

I also like the expression "language hobbyists", coined by the evil Christophe Clugston.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Sun May 29, 2022 6:49 pm

leosmith wrote:I also like the expression "language hobbyists", coined by the evil Christophe Clugston.

I never heard him using any other language than English...(expect a few demi-phrases here and there with strong accent)
1 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun May 29, 2022 6:50 pm

leosmith wrote: Christophe Clugston.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in years. Is he still around? Thought something happened to him?

Also, I always associated him with his love of the word 'dilettante'
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Mon May 30, 2022 5:27 am

galaxyrocker wrote:Now there's a name I haven't heard in years. Is he still around? Thought something happened to him Also, I always associated him with his love of the word 'dilettante'
I don't know if he's still around, but he also liked the word "geolocked".
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm

Same girl as the video further up, but 2 years ago. Chatting with Matt vs Japan about 'the polyglots' and those making mega-bucks out of it.

0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue May 31, 2022 6:32 am

The correct quote is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”

These internecine discussions only really matter if one follows polyglots as celebrities. That video is a performative, white knighting effort crossed with vague criticism and drama. Perfect for getting views and clicks. The exact same thing they are complaining about. Drama around language learning does not serve the learner.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue May 31, 2022 2:53 pm

zenmonkey wrote:The correct quote is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”

These internecine discussions only really matter if one follows polyglots as celebrities. That video is a performative, white knighting effort crossed with vague criticism and drama. Perfect for getting views and clicks. The exact same thing they are complaining about. Drama around language learning does not serve the learner.

Where did you source the 'correct quote'? I've never seen it beyond 'jack of all trades, master of none (the last clause being added later) and this goes back to pre-Shakespeare. Jack of all trades' used to be positive, but the addition was a retort to this denoting thinly-spread amateurism.

I don't think the video is far wrong, it seems also to be a couple of years old from when the youtube polyglots were not being taken to task. I don't agree that it's merely about following polyglots as celebrities. Social media and youtube has a lot of viewers and people looking for language guidance (probably wrongly) and it's about chancers playing on this and setting themselves up as experts, then cashing-in on junk advice. There's a fair bit of viewer gullibility involved. Let us be clear though, the internet and videos are so often now the first stop for people looking for advice and guidance.

It was only after a few videos starting being a bit critical that the known polyglots started reining it in a bit and discussing real failure rates; actual average time spans for learning; the amount of sheer time and effort needed for even one language to get to a really good level; the truth about adults learning languages. The video further up where Wouter Corduwener explains his goals and what he wants from learning seems to me legitimate, though he has also fallen into the performing dog category, going about with well-rehearsed superficial stuff. Though I admire his guts to go around doing it, because as he says going out and actually speaking is a massive stumbling block for so many people.

I also think the blonde girl is completely correct in criticising those 'white guy shocks locals with PERFECT Chinese" type videos. We know who this references. The guy who then hooks people in a haranguing email newsletter promising to teach you super-fast Chinese via text-based stuff and his already-existing videos. Con men and chancers. This is where learners are getting a disservice.
5 x
- Jonathan Swift

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:21 am

Le Baron wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:The correct quote is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”

Popularized by Greene 1590s actually writing about Shakespeare - it’s definitely possible that it was common phrase at the time. The intent here was praise, similarly to the admiration held for many a polymath.

You should look into Clugston (he’s got some 10 year old videos that are comedy art at this point). It’s been at least a decade that people have been poking fun at magical methods of learning. Benny Lewis book’s was most certainly criticized for its overpromising title and hype. HTLAL was constantly talking about this.

I’m not saying the video is necessarily wrong. I’m noting that making a catchy video to get views about other people making videos to get views … is something something. Polyglots complaining about other polyglots but being careful not to mention them because that will cause problems is just click baiting content.
Not my cup of tea - not really about language learning (IMHO).
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:26 am

zenmonkey wrote:Popularized by Greene 1590s actually writing about Shakespeare - it’s definitely possible that it was common phrase at the time. The intent here was praise, similarly to the admiration held for many a polymath.

The one popularised by Greene was intended to criticise Shakespeare, not praise him. He only added a version of the 'master of none' bit. Jack of all trades on its own was indeed originally meant as praise.
zenmonkey wrote:You should look into Clugston (he’s got some 10 year old videos that are comedy art at this point). It’s been at least a decade that people have been poking fun at magical methods of learning. Benny Lewis book’s was most certainly criticized for its overpromising title and hype. HTLAL was constantly talking about this.

I didn't watch many videos 10 years ago, so I've definitely missed some. I was aware of Benny Lewis though. I've read HTLAL for years. I even had/have an account there, but there's nothing on it. I recognise many names between here and there. I encountered Lewis when he turned up at Lernu! the Esperanto website. I don't t know that most there were aware of his wider 'project', but he was found to be annoying mainly because he said annoying things and it was clear he wasn't interested in much more than gaining a very quick surface semblance of one language after another. Esperanto was just a half-day stop on his bus-stop tour.
zenmonkey wrote:I’m not saying the video is necessarily wrong. I’m noting that making a catchy video to get views about other people making videos to get views … is something something. Polyglots complaining about other polyglots but being careful not to mention them because that will cause problems is just click baiting content.
Not my cup of tea - not really about language learning (IMHO).

She mentioned this in the video though. That it is possible to not fall into the hole of foolish clickbait titles just for the 'algorithm'. And also that originally she'd also made 'shocked' videos, though she gives a reason why. Hers is just one perspective. She has reached a high level in two languages and recognises the sheer difficulty, time and work involved. They are addressing the initial burst of misguided information and sheer dishonesty, which has actually subsided in some cases. It both is and isn't about language learning.
3 x
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”