Kiwi who doesn't speak French wins French World Scrabble contest

General discussion about learning languages
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Kiwi who doesn't speak French wins French World Scrabble contest

Postby iguanamon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:17 pm

As we fade out of 2015 and into the brand new future of 2016, this popped up today in the BBC's odd year in review

New Zealand's Nigel Richards wins French Scrabble crown

BBC wrote:The French-language Scrabble world championship has been won by a New Zealander who does not speak a word of French, competition organisers say.
Nigel Richards defeated a rival from French-speaking Gabon in the final in Louvain, Belgium, on Monday.
Mr Richards is said to have memorised an entire French Scrabble dictionary in nine weeks earlier this year.
A previous English Scrabble champion, he originates from Christchurch, New Zealand, and is now based in Malaysia.
He beat Gabon's Schelick Ilagou Rekawe two games to nil in Monday's final.

I wonder how this slipped past us!

Edit: According to the more fleshed-out story (which you can listen to also) on NPR, the French Scrabble dictionary has 386,000 words.

NPR wrote:...Richards is able to recall words very reliably. Here's how Fatsis says Richards does it, citing their previous discussions:
"Basically, what he does is, he looks at word lists and looks at dictionary pages... he can conjure up the image of what he has seen. He told me that if he actually hears a word, it doesn't stick in his brain. But if he sees it once, that's enough for him to recall the image of it. I don't know if that's a photographic memory; I just think it's something that his brain chemistry allows him to do."

Fatsis adds, "French Scrabble has 386,000 words. That's a lot – that's far more than in North American Scrabble: 187,000." ... But the game isn't just about words, Fatsis says: "It is a game of mathematics. It's a game of strategy, it's a game of spatial relations and board geometry. You have to have a math brain to be great at Scrabble."... "He did a lot of his Scrabble studying by bicycling for hours and hours and recalling those words and lists of words in his brain," Fatsis says. ...
4 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Re: Kiwi who doesn't speak French wins French World Scrabble contest

Postby solocricket » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 pm

I actually saw this awhile ago! Somehow, I feel like just learning French and then being really good at Scrabble would be easier though...
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:48 pm

While it may be legal, it seems to be against the spirit of the game.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:36 am

solocricket wrote:I feel like just learning French and then being really good at Scrabble would be easier though...

Or at least more interesting and useful. I'd add, also more fun, but I hate Scrabble. :mrgreen:
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:24 am

BBC wrote:memorised an entire French Scrabble dictionary in nine weeks

NPR wrote:French Scrabble has 386,000 words

But I suppose a Scrabble dictionary is just word->score and not the word->translation/definition/part of speech/usage, etc that we have to learn?

tomgosse wrote:... it seems to be against the spirit of the game.

Any competition with an attractive prize would be against the... um... our definition of the spirit of a game. Games and competitions are different things.

If it's a world contest with the world's best players I imagine everyone there studies a Scrabble dictionary as preparation anyway.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:12 am

I actually find that it is a true expression of the spirit of the game that you can see a person with a supermemory win over the native speakers. After all the challenge is to combine raw words without any attempt to connect them in syntactical patterns, not to say anything meaningful. I'm more puzzled over the statement that there is a dictionary with 386,000 French word(form)s, and even more that anyone would attempt to learn them by heart. I have seen in an exhibition somewhere that a Chinese man did something similar with a little red Chinese dictionary, but you would have to have a rather special mentality to even consider doing it.
2 x

fivexthethird
Languages: English (N), French (B1??)

Postby fivexthethird » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:43 am

smallwhite wrote:But I suppose a Scrabble dictionary is just word->score and not the word->translation/definition/part of speech/usage, etc that we have to learn?

Less, their sole purpose is to verify the existence of a word; in some sense it's not a true dictionary.
Also note that there are apparently "just" 66,541 headwords, the rest are inflected forms.

It's probably not superhuman... simply extreme. And when you consider there's money involved... it's not too surprising someone would at least try.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 am

Shall we host a multilingual scrabble game on the website? Or other non-realtime word games.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “General Language Discussion”