Have you stopped learning a specific language before?

General discussion about learning languages
garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: Have you stopped learning a specific language before?

Postby garyb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:54 pm

Iversen wrote:I didn't say that Modern Greek was dead easy, just that it is simpler than the ancient versions of Greek in the same way that Modern English is easier than Anglosaxon - and having said that, I think that the comprehensibility gab is about the same.

After the fall of the junta the Greeks dropped their mute aspirations and two of their accents, which is a clear advantage for learners. There is however still one big problem in the orthography, namely that several vowels can be written in a number of ways, but since my point of departure is the written language that doesn't bother me much - it's worse the other way round. And then there is of course the stress that has to fall on one of the last three syllables in a word, but not necessarily the one you expect. My rule in the beginning was that it never was the one I expected, but one of the two others. But again: the stress is marked in the writing so there you can see it (not like Danish or Russian, where it is kept as a secret). And then there are a few things in the verbal system which you have to learn, such as the aorist stems, but in most cases they can be guessed.

So I still think that I made the right choice by studying Modern Greek first and leaving the gamut of old forms for later.

My interest is firmly in Modern Greek, not ancient, but it's still a very tough language when you're used to your Romance and Germanic comfort zone!
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”