Language Transfer vs the original Michel Thomas courses

General discussion about learning languages
Moinmoin
Languages: English (N), Dutch, German, Slovak, Czech.

Re: Language Transfer vs the original Michel Thomas courses

Postby Moinmoin » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:48 am

TSS42 wrote:I did the original MT courses for German and Italian a long time ago, and I've done French and Spanish partway through... all created by the great man himself. I am now more than halfway through the LT Modern Greek course, so I think I am well placed to compare both teachers.

Sadly, LT is nowhere as good as the 4 original MT courses. Doing the MT courses I never felt rushed or under pressure, yet I managed to learn everything. It was always a really pleasant experience. With LT Greek most of the lessons feel crammy, rushed, and all in all it's quite a stressful experience.

Quite often Mihalis covers a huge amount of complex grammar in a single session, speaking quite fast. And the student dude must be a genius because he just answers every question correctly and nonchalantly. Rattling out, for example, the irregular past tense of a verb that might have been mentioned exactly once, 10 lessons ago.

I'll continue listening to the course till the end, because I don't like abandoning things, but it's not been pleasant.

While I admire the fact that it's all free and he runs off donations, he also claims, and I quote: "The Thinking Method, with all its peculiarities, is a product of the Language Transfer project". No dude, it's not. The method is exactly the same as the Michel Thomas method, and he executed it WAY better.

Thanks for the info, I'm new to this forum and was looking for info on the LT method, did the MT for dutch and German was going to give LT a go to kickstart my french. Interestingly I was also researching the MT method a while ago - most of the method for his audio course is "liberated" from 'Madrigals magic key to' series of books.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Re: Language Transfer vs the original Michel Thomas courses

Postby leosmith » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:29 am

lemonbird wrote:I think the advantages of LT relies in that it's a free method.
Exactly. It's free, so it's always going to have inflated ratings.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “General Language Discussion”