Greek: Textbooks, podcasts, movies, songs, programmes, online courses, etc.

General discussion about learning languages
Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Greek: Textbooks, podcasts, movies, songs, programmes, online courses, etc.

Postby Ольга » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi there! I am looking for any types of resources for learning Greek. Preferably textbooks and podcasts, but all other types of resources are interesting for me as well.
Could you please give me a piece of advice about good resources?
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

gregf
Languages: English (native), German (fluent), French (fluent); Studying: Italian, Modern Greek, Ancient Greek

Re: Greek: Textbooks, podcasts, movies, songs, programmes, online courses, etc.

Postby gregf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:40 pm

A handful of volunteers (of whom I am a member) have put together quite a nice library of Greek learning materials at LingQ. You can see what is available here. You are free to read and listen to the library for free, but to use the whole lingq functionality (which I recommend), you have to create a paying account.

We have uploaded and transcribed the entire Hellenic American Union podcast series, consisting of 81 (?) lessons in Modern Greek. They're very good, and work particularly well in the Linqq format. The midi music interludes are, however, horrendous.

Otherwise I'm using Assimil and an old Teach Yourself Modern Greek. I copy texts from Kathimerini into lingq and read them that way. Finally, I've found a couple of language partners on hellotalk and italki who are helping me along.
2 x
: 510 / 651 Anabasis (Ancient Greek)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:20 pm

http://www.languagetransfer.org seems like a nice resource :)
LingQ can be a good source of what I call semi-native content, and there are free equivalents for using it like learning with texts (LWT) and readlang.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:38 pm

If you know any French or Italian, Assimil's Modern Greek course is pretty great. Personally, I think it's one of the best Assimil courses I've used as far as content goes. If I had to do it again, I'd make sure to learn the alphabet 100% before diving into a course, though. Not that it matters a whole lot or changes the integrity of the course, but it would facilitate the process a bit.
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 pm

*bookmarks for later* 8-)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:14 pm

gregf wrote:A handful of volunteers (of whom I am a member) have put together quite a nice library of Greek learning materials at LingQ. You can see what is available here. You are free to read and listen to the library for free, but to use the whole lingq functionality (which I recommend), you have to create a paying account.

This matter interests me because I too was looking for materials for learning Modern Greek. I picked up Divry's New English-Greek and Greek-English Dictionary, revised, and (2) Cortina Method Conversational Modern Greek in 20 Lessons (textbook only) for a small price in a local used bookstore. I also purchased Reading Modern Greek Literature, selected and edited by Helen Dendrinou Kolias, specifically designed for intermediate and advanced students of Modern Greek. The little dictionary is acceptable, the textbook has a rather droll spelling system instead of audio and bored me to tears because it was the usual hello-what's-your-name-who's-your-Daddy rigmarole, and the book of readings, well, I found none of the ones I looked at very compelling. Part of the problem being that one unfamiliar with the modern Greek script cannot simply scan a section of either prose or poetry and get some idea of what it is about and whether one would like it. Even though I like very much the sound of spoken Modern Greek, I soon gave up for lack of interesting materials.

GregF is always a good source of resources for languages, and these are no exception. But note that the url for LingQ takes you only to the LingQ portal. You have to be a member of LingQ to get past that. Unlike GregF, I do not endorse becoming a paying customer of LingQ, though I once was one for 3 or 4 years.

Also note that not only does LingQ charge for full functionality, so does Readlang.

Serpent has also given a good source. A most intriguing method of teaching languages.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Oops, I forgot that readlang had introduced the paid feature (phrase translations for over 10x per day). Does LWT have phrase translations?
1 x
Corrections welcome

gregf
Languages: English (native), German (fluent), French (fluent); Studying: Italian, Modern Greek, Ancient Greek

Postby gregf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:40 pm

(Let's keep this thread about Greek resources, if you don't mind, Serpent. Greek gets so little αγάπη :)

A wonderful tool for looking up different forms of words: Neurolingo's Lexiscope.

http://www.neurolingo.gr/en/online_tools/lexiscope.htm

Very useful when you don't know the morphology of a given word. You're limited to 15 lookups per day, or 30 if you make a free account. Otherwise, if you buy their app (2$ if memory serves), you can get unlimited access.
0 x
: 510 / 651 Anabasis (Ancient Greek)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Sure. It was you who mentioned a paid tool first ;) I think it's only fair to point out a free replacement. But yeah I ask everyone not to turn this into a hardcore comparison of LWT and readlang. I also ask you to disclose if you have any benefits from promoting LingQ :roll:

Also, in my experience, with a smaller language there's more need to rely on various alternative techniques, rather than be guided by courses and podcasts :)
1 x
Corrections welcome

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:13 am

Serpent wrote:Does LWT have phrase translations?

Yes, here is one from my own LWT. I'm not going to guarantee my translation is correct, however. To keep to the Greek theme, it is Ancient Greek from Longus's Daphnis and Chloe, Book 2. I could show the context, too, but in the interest of brevity I won't.

παρὰ τῶν ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς ἐλάμβανον they would take it from those who lived on the farms
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “General Language Discussion”