Which languages would you learn...

General discussion about learning languages
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Re: Which languages would you learn...

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:51 pm

rdearman wrote:
Jean-Luc wrote:If you had time, money and no business needs, which languages would you like to learn in this list?
http://www.muturzikin.com/languages.htm

None, nada, rein, niente, nessuno, zip, zilch, zero, 없음 .

Learning human languages is difficult, frustrating and strenuous. If I had time, money, and no business need I might learn a number of languages, but they aren't on that list. They are on this one.

I mean, once you master Hello World! you're basically fluent ;) :lol:
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 pm

I'd learn the languages which appeal to me generally - French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German, Swedish and Danish. I live a stones throw away from mainland Europe and those are the languages of the countries I'm most likely to visit.

If my brain hadn't exploded by that point, I'd add Russian, Polish, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. The former two again because I live close to Europe (and have friends in those communities) and the latter two because I think cyberpunk stuff is cool and want to know what all the neon signs mean.
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:52 pm

tungemål wrote:
rdearman wrote:Learning human languages is difficult, frustrating and strenuous. If I had time, money, and no business need I might learn a number of languages, but they aren't on that list. They are on this one.

Why? Do you enjoy computer programming, or is it for economic gain? Learning computer languages is difficult, frustrating and strenuous. I'm sticking with human readable languages.

Programming languages are fun and easy to learn. And most importantly LOGICAL.

Edit: except Python I will grant you that one.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Eireannach
Languages: English (Native) Irish (Beginner) Norwegian (Beginner) Russian (Beginner) French (Beginner)

Postby Eireannach » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:16 am

If these were all factors, I would really stick with learning Old English as I find it absolutely fascinating... and it would be good to make use of the letters we no longer use such as thorn and wynn!
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”