Can I learn 2 new languages at the same time?

General discussion about learning languages
firewheel
White Belt
Languages: English, Tamil, Mandarin

Re: Can I learn 2 new languages at the same time?

Postby firewheel » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks for your replies zenmonkey and Adrianslont.

Adrianslont wrote:Yes, some details. That helps. I will continue you grill you! :)

So, OP which is the language that you want to learn to a conversational level and which to a professional level?

If one is for career and one for fun travel only, I would drop the fun travel one or give it much lower priority.

And Xenops time scale question is important.

What is your native language? There are so many to choose from in Singapore! I’m guessing Tamil or another Indian language but I’m only guessing. If it’s Mandarin, I believe there is some advaantage in learning Korean vocabulary. (That is just something I have been told - I don’t have first hand experience of the Korean and barely any experience of mandarin)

Regardless to the answers to those questions, I will say that you need to put in an effort outside your classes and online program to really advance quickly enough for professional use.

Spanish - conversational level
Korean - professional level

My native language (mother tongue) is Tamil.
1 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Re: Can I learn 2 new languages at the same time?

Postby kelvin921019 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:56 am

Just drop by and give my 2 cents:

"know some common words and phrases used in everyday life" won't get you to "roughly understand what the native people are speaking about."

To get to "roughly understand what the native people are speaking about." takes you at least of year of hard work (or years of work).
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”