Take a Guess: what is the most commonly spoken language, aside from Spanish and English, in every state?

General discussion about learning languages
mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Take a Guess: what is the most commonly spoken language, aside from Spanish and English, in every state?

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am

There are over 7,000 different languages spoken around the world. While most of the U.S. population speaks either English or Spanish, many additional languages are spoken across the country too.

Here’s what the most commonly spoken language, aside from Spanish and
English, in every state is:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/most-c ... e-u-s-map/
3 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Re: Take a Guess: what is the most commonly spoken language, aside from Spanish and English, in every state?

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:57 am

Cantonese and Mandarin have the highest share of foreign-language speakers and comprise 5.2% of the total population.

Tagalog, one of the dominant languages spoken in the Philippines, is spoken by 1.7 million people and comprises 2.6% of all other foreign languages spoken in the U.S.

Dakota, Lakota, Nakota, Sioux languages could be considered as the rarest of the second languages, with only about 15K people speaking the various dialects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Re: Take a Guess: what is the most commonly spoken language, aside from Spanish and English, in every state?

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:00 am

Here in Arizona, Navajo is a native spoken language, no doubts about it.

https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/history.htm

Navajo Code Talkers

Navajo Code Talkers At Iwo Jima, Major Howard Connor, 5th Marine Division signal officer, declared, "Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima." Connor had six Navajo code talkers working around the clock during the first two days of the battle. Those six sent and received over 800 messages, all without error.
In May 1942, the first 29 Navajo recruits attended boot camp. Then, at Camp Pendleton , Oceanside , California , this first group created the Navajo code. They developed a dictionary and numerous words for military terms. The dictionary and all code words had to be memorized during training. Navajos could encode, transmit, and decode a three-line English message in 20 seconds. Machines of the time required 30 minutes to perform the same job. Approximately 400 Navajos were trained as code talkers.

Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Peleliu, Iwo Jima : the Navajo code talkers took part in every assault the U.S. Marines conducted in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945. They served in all six Marine divisions, Marine Raider battalions and Marine parachute units, transmitting messages by telephone and radio in their native language -- a code that the Japanese never broke. Long unrecognized because of the continued value of their language as a security classified code, the Navajo code talkers of World War II were honored for their
contributions to defense on Sept. 17,1992, at the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. Excerpts taken from a Fact Sheet prepared by the Navy & Marine Corps WWII Commemorative Committee.
1 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:22 am

At work, I meet Native Americans who speak perfect English, like any American, but bilingual from birth and Navajo speakers.

Sometimes I talk to them in Spanish when I first meet with them, and they tell me they don't speak Spanish. I apologize to them for my mistake. They understand and don't take offense; they know that many Latinos are mestizos.

Mestizos from back in the Spanish Empire: Male Spanish having children with Indigenous women.
Spanish-Native mix from the Conquistadores time. (DNA/male-Spanish, DNA/female-Indian) (mitochondrial DNA is always from mother genetic material). The mitochondrial DNA matches genetic material from Native Indian women, no European blood).

Mestizo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
This article is about the term used in Latin America and the Philippines. For the Portuguese term, see mestigo. For the American rapper, see Mestizo (rapper). For the Mexican pop group, see Mestizzo.
Mestizo (/mES'ti:zou, mi-/;^2! Spanish: [mes ti9o] (M>) listen); fem. mestiza) is a racial classification used to refer to a person of a combined European and Indigenous American ancestry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Postby SpanishInput » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks for posting this. This makes me happy to have chosen to focus on Mandarin. Gotta learn the language of our future overlords.
2 x

Zegpoddle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), rusty French and German (formerly B2 in each), Russian (beginner), Mandarin Chinese (A2/HSK3)

Postby Zegpoddle » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:44 pm

I love the irony of Pennsylvania Dutch being more highly ranked on the lists of spoken languages in the states of Indiana and Ohio than it is in Pennsylvania.

One more oddity to add to the list of things that are really difficult to explain to people who are not from the U.S. …

…along with “Indiana University of Pennsylvania”… :?:

…and the fact that Pennsylvania Dutch is actually a variant of German, not Dutch… :|

…and the decision to place Interstate 11 between interstates 15 and 17… :?

…and the electoral college… :oops:
1 x
Graciously begging our alien overlords to remember to refresh the batteries regularly in their toddler’s cosmic Game Boy on which the simulation that is my life is running ;)

dml130
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Persian (beginner)
Maybe someday (in no particular order): French, Swahili, Hindustani, Mandarin, Amharic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Turkish

Postby dml130 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm

It's odd that they add Cantonese and Mandarin (and other Chinese languages) together and portray them as one language. I recall hearing that Cantonese may actually outnumber Mandarin in the United States. It's too bad they don't have them broken down into separate languages.
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 pm

dml130 wrote:It's odd that they add Cantonese and Mandarin (and other Chinese languages) together and portray them as one language. I recall hearing that Cantonese may actually outnumber Mandarin in the United States. It's too bad they don't have them broken down into separate languages.

I'd really like to know what the actual breakdown is between these in the USA. It's a similar situation in the UK (although far more easily explained due to our history with Hong Kong.)
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Return to “General Language Discussion”