Best way to approach studying Turkic languages as a polyglot

General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Best way to approach studying Turkic languages as a polyglot

Postby David1917 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:48 pm

One "polyglot approach" might be to learn Turkish, Persian, & Russian to high levels. Then, on the basis of the knowledge of these 3, getting to the others might be comparatively easier. Turkish for the framework, Persian for the loanwoards, and Russian for the learning materials (& loanwords?)
5 x

Lycopersicon
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English, Persian, Italian, Latin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16534

Postby Lycopersicon » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:02 am

Chung wrote:There's more authentic material on YouTube and the rest of the internet for improving your passive abilities in the language compared to several years ago when Lycopersicon was studying the language.

This is very true. And also one of the reason why I’ve decided to go back to Azerbaijani!
0 x

paulcal
Languages: Japanese, Korean

Postby paulcal » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the interesting replies. This is a good basis for starting to get a good foothold in these languages. This is obviously a very long-term endeavor. I am going to stick with Turkish and then see what I can springboard to next. Assimil Le Turc is a decent resource, so working through this should give me a strong foundation. From there I can experiment with others.

There are vastly less resources for the other Turkic languages, so if one were serious about learning them, it might be necessary to get a good language exchange partner who speaks one of them and make your own resources (Colloquial Kazakh left much to be desired when I look at it).

I've also been looking through content in Arabic and Persian, and there really is a considerable overlap with these languages and Turkish.

Crimean Tatar is an interesting suggestion. I can't imagine resources for actually learning it being readily available, but a good language student, one or two grammar, and a good language partner might do the job.

It also strikes me that Russian is crucial for getting at the Siberian Turkic languages seriously.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”