Was language learning easier 20-30 years ago?

General discussion about learning languages
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Was language learning easier 20-30 years ago?

Postby lusan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:57 pm

tungemål wrote:I've always been an independent learner, and I find that language learning is much easier now, than 20-30 years ago. It's mainly because of these points (but also because I know how to do it now):
- a wealth of material for listening and reading available online, for free
- online dictionaries (faster) and other tools like google translate and context reverso
- easy to find speakers online (Italkie, conversation exchange etc)
- smartphone apps, like Anki and also Duolingo, allthough they can't replace a coursebook.

Which brings me to this: I like to go through a coursebook. But my delution in the 90s was that I would know a language after completing a "Teach Yourself"-book. The coursebook is just a starting point, but a very useful one. And they also existed 20-30 years ago, with audio on CDs or even cassette tape (I bought a French course in the 90s that still came with cassettes).

20 years ago I was living in the Netherlands, and I tried to learn Dutch. I had a coursebook, a paper dictionary, I borrowed cartoons at the local library, and tried to use Dutch in the city. Still, I think it would be much easier for me to learn Dutch now, living in Norway. What I lacked at the time was mainly audio material to practice with.

yes, yes, yes.... Assimil, a grammar book as well as a one of most common verbs, and ...

1. Serials
2. Podcasts
3. YouTubes lectures and news
4. Online news

The rest is just work. No even having to leave our own homes.
Last edited by lusan on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:33 pm

Each technology is a pharmakon, both a blessing and a curse. So, yeah, easy access to materials but, at the same time, more information noise.

The illusion that things were easier might stem from the fact, that now we have access to everything you need to master a language. Earlier you could always have some excuses: oh, I don't have money for a private tutor or: I wish I could study abroad (or could have access to literature, films etc in your target language) etc. Experienced learners know that just moving abroad won't turn you into a fluent speaker. Those who actually lived abroad will recognize this specific type of expats — years of immersion and, in spite of that, just some rudimentary knowledge of the L2.

So, now we have access to all the sources you can imagine. But it doesn't immediately translate into literacy. It takes a lot of hard work, will, and perseverance. You can have all the fancy equipment in your basement available 24/7, but this alone won't turn you magically into Mr. Olympia. It's as simple as that.
12 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:08 am

Google translate, YouTube, Audible.com, Anki, images.google.com, images.bing.com, electronic books, NetFlix, *.wikipedia.org.

For a hobbyist, definitely easier, except for being 20-30 years less young.

The courses from 50 years ago are still available, more plentiful, and free. Thirty years ago Darren was only 6. Now he's done this:

FSI Language Courses.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Return to “General Language Discussion”