Did you also experience that you forget some words in new (foreign) language when you do not use it or do not study?

General discussion about learning languages
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Did you also experience that you forget some words in new (foreign) language when you do not use it or do not study?

Postby jimmy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm

I experienced that some words (especially the words that are not in common usage) were being forgotten.
so, can we say that we would have to work hard and/or harder ?
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Re: Did you also experience that you forget some words in new (foreign) language when you do not use it or do not study?

Postby alaart » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:56 am

It's normal, just learn them again, and again, eventually they will stick.

At beginner and intermediate level, what I'm doing to combat this with flash cards is that each time I look up a word that is already in my database, I'll add a sample from a sentence (mostly the ones I just encountered, but also from dictionaries or google search), I also reactivate all previous sentences containing this word.

At an advanced level where you don't necessarily do flash cards, you could try to read material about the same topic as your target word that you keep forgetting. Eventually, inside this topic it gets repeated much more often, and so it will eventually stick too.
2 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Did you also experience that you forget some words in new (foreign) language when you do not use it or do not study?

Postby Sonjaconjota » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:02 am

I mean ... when the pandemic restrictions were relaxed, I even had problems to remember the names of acquaintances I had not seen for a while. Our brain quickly culls any information that doesn't seem relevant any more.
1 x

Leurre
White Belt
Languages: Native: English, French
I speak: Korean, Spanish, Haitian Creole
I'm learning: Chinese, Japanese, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16219

Postby Leurre » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:47 am

So, we forget things, is that the topic?
I forget a lot of language related things, yes. Sometimes I'll write them down and try to use them and remember them, but then I'll forget them. Forgetting them is often related to my not studying or using them. Yeah.
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:12 pm

2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:51 pm

No, I've never forgotten a word in any language, ever. Amateurs!
5 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Quite normal...
Don't forget but instead don't remember! But when stored in the long time memory, could pop out at any time!
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:41 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:Quite normal...
Don't forget but instead don't remember!

yeah , yes , this explanation may be accepted as a better way of telling for my this topic , thanks.
do you have any recommendation for not forgetting but not remembering ?
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:54 pm

alaart wrote:It's normal, just learn them again, and again, eventually they will stick.

At beginner and intermediate level, what I'm doing to combat this with flash cards is that each time I look up a word that is already in my database, I'll add a sample from a sentence (mostly the ones I just encountered, but also from dictionaries or google search), I also reactivate all previous sentences containing this word.

At an advanced level where you don't necessarily do flash cards, you could try to read material about the same topic as your target word that you keep forgetting. Eventually, inside this topic it gets repeated much more often, and so it will eventually stick too.

hi,
as I believe I am self taught ,
these days I am generally not willing to attend any education program ( except (education) programs that are compulsory or some programs that I aim something other than educating myself (e.g. to get social interaction with someone)) although I am not opposing to this activity.
so, beside expressing that it might be interesting information , I obviously heard at one (mandatory/compulsory) education video that listing words was not useful. Also, I am not sure on this detail but the lecturer was presumably saying that listing words was causing to forget them
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm

Leurre wrote:So, we forget things, is that the topic?

and,..., what is the problem with that?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”