Actors who can't really speak the language.

General discussion about learning languages
sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Actors who can't really speak the language.

Postby sfuqua » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:33 pm

To some extent,what actors do with language is similar to what students do when they learn from a course that involves memorizing dialogs.

Does anybody know an actor who regularly appears in movies speaking a certain language, but who cannot speak it in "real life?"

I have heard, for instance, that Sophie Marceau could not speak English at all when she did Braveheart.

Do actors, or for that matter, opera singers, actually learn languages, to some extent, by memorizing and performing dialog?
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Actors who can't really speak the language.

Postby tomgosse » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:44 pm

sfuqua wrote:To some extent,what actors do with language is similar to what students do when they learn from a course that involves memorizing dialogs.

Does anybody know an actor who regularly appears in movies speaking a certain language, but who cannot speak it in "real life?"

I have heard, for instance, that Sophie Marceau could not speak English at all when she did Braveheart.

Do actors, or for that matter, opera singers, actually learn languages, to some extent, by memorizing and performing dialog?

A lot of actors have to learn their lines phonetically. Gert Frobe, who starred in Goldfinger, had to learn his lines phonetically. But his accent was so bad that they were over dubbed.

From Wikipedia's entry for the movie Goldfinger:
Gert Fröbe as Auric Goldfinger: ... Fröbe, who spoke little English, said his lines phonetically, but was too slow. To redub him, he had to double the speed of his performance to get the right tempo. The only time his real voice is heard is during his meeting with members of the Mafia at Auric Stud. Bond is hidden below the model of Fort Knox whilst Fröbe's natural voice can be heard above. However, he was redubbed for the rest of the film by stage actor Michael Collins.
Last edited by tomgosse on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Sadly, this is most of the actors on Irish language shows. They get a bunch of non-natives to act, and thus they don't get the correct pronunciation a lot of the time, You'll often hear the English <r> instead of the Irish one, for example.
3 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I remember hearing that this was the case for Antonio Banderas when he started out in Hollywood. (Pretty sure he speaks English now, though.)
4 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:43 pm

The star of the legendary movie "Casa de mi Padre" did not speak Spanish and had to simply memorize all of his lines and "fake" it for the entire movie. I still think he does an incredible job faking it. For folks learning Spanish this is a great movie to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICCOTMHXNvM
3 x

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Béla Lugosi reputedly didn't speak English at the time he made Dracula and simply recited his lines phonetically.
2 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm sure this happens quite a bit, but some of them also actually learn the language. Viggo Mortensen, for example, actually did learn Arabic (and modified his existing but imperfect French) for "Far from Men".
5 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Lugosi certainly learned English later but though he lived in the USA for at least the last 25 years of his life he seems always to have struggled with it.
He probably also spoke German, which was widely known in the Hungarian part of Austria-Hungary.
2 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Erik Estrada's career crashed and burned. He went to Mexico looking for work, but could not speak Spanish. Here is his story about what happened and how/why he had to learn Spanish:

"I was in Mexico doing a movie in Spanish, but I was getting dubbed in Spanish, because I didn't know how to read or speak Spanish. So this producer from Televisa comes up to me and says 'We want to do a show. We'll make it so you were born in Mexico, you were raised in San Diego, then you come back to Mexico to live.' And I said 'oh cool, I'm going to speak Spanglish.' Then the first script came to me and it was all in Spanish, and I said 'I can't do this!' I couldn't even read it! So I asked my manager to tell Televisa I wanted $500,000 for 100 episodes, thinking they'd go away. But they came back and said ok. [So I told them] I want a car, a chauffeur, a bodyguard and a cook, and I want $75,000 wired to my account. I figured they'd go away after that. And they said ok. So now, I'm really stuck. So I went to a language academy, got an instructor for six weeks and learned to read Spanish. It [was] the longest-running, highest-rated soap opera in the history of Latin television. It was 457 episodes...I made over $2 million doing that show."
9 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 pm

James29 wrote:Erik Estrada's career crashed and burned. He went to Mexico looking for work, but could not speak Spanish. Here is his story about what happened and how/why he had to learn Spanish:

"I was in Mexico doing a movie in Spanish, but I was getting dubbed in Spanish, because I didn't know how to read or speak Spanish. So this producer from Televisa comes up to me and says 'We want to do a show. We'll make it so you were born in Mexico, you were raised in San Diego, then you come back to Mexico to live.' And I said 'oh cool, I'm going to speak Spanglish.' Then the first script came to me and it was all in Spanish, and I said 'I can't do this!' I couldn't even read it! So I asked my manager to tell Televisa I wanted $500,000 for 100 episodes, thinking they'd go away. But they came back and said ok. [So I told them] I want a car, a chauffeur, a bodyguard and a cook, and I want $75,000 wired to my account. I figured they'd go away after that. And they said ok. So now, I'm really stuck. So I went to a language academy, got an instructor for six weeks and learned to read Spanish. It [was] the longest-running, highest-rated soap opera in the history of Latin television. It was 457 episodes...I made over $2 million doing that show."

Love that story! The telenovela was Dos Mujeres, Un Camino. I watched it because I was in love with Bibi Gaytán.
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Return to “General Language Discussion”