Subtitle Cross-check: An Idea for a language exchange activity

General discussion about learning languages
SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Subtitle Cross-check: An Idea for a language exchange activity

Postby SpanishInput » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi! I have an idea for an activity you can do with your language partner, and I'll just post it here to see what you think and how it can be improved. It's called "Subtitle Cross-check".

The problem:
Netflix might not have any movies or shows you'd consider "watchable" in your TL. But it might have American/British/Korean shows with TL dubs and TL subtitles. Those dubs and subtitles don't match, because they're created with different goals (dubs must match mouth movements, subtitles must be short and concise). This is not a problem; this is an opportunity. You'll be training your ears by "correcting" the TL subtitles to match the TL audio, and after this exercise you'll have your partner check your work, and you'll check his.

The setup:
1) Go to your Netflix profile's language settings and make sure to select your native language, all your C2 languages and your TL in the section that says "Which languages do you like to watch shows and movies in?".

2) Find a movie or show that contains dubs and subtitles in both your native language (or your C2 language) and your TL. I must admit this is a lot easier if the language you're offering is not English, because your partner does not need your help to find good English content with proper subtitles. But let's say you're offering Swedish and your TL is Brazilian Portuguese. In this case you can use the series "Fuller House", which has dubs and subtitles in lots of languages, including these two.
Even if you're offering English and your TL is Spanish it's still possible to find something if both you and your partner happen to be into Asian shows. For example, Korean drama "Squid Game" and the anime "Evangelion" have both dubs and subtitles in English and Spanish.

3) Download the subtitles of the episode you're watching in srt format. There is more than one way to do this, but the easiest I've found is with the Glot Dojo extension. Click on the Glot Dojo icon › View subtitles › Print icon › Close the print window › Export Main to SRT.

4) Right click on the .srt file and open it with Notepad (Or TextEdit on Mac). Copy all the contents and paste it to a new Google Document.

5) Split your screen between Netflix and Google Docs. Switch back and forth between them with Alt + Tab. Use the GlotDojo shortcuts to pause and repeat each phrase, and correct them in Google Docs. Don't touch the time codes! Edit only the text.

The exchange
1) Press the blue "Share" button in Google Docs and enter your partner's email address. Important: Don't give them permission as "Editor", but as "Commenter". This way you'll be able to see exactly what changes they're suggesting to your work.

2) After you receive your partner's Google Doc, copy all the contents, paste it to a new Notepad document and save it with the .srt extension.

3) Go to netflix and watch the episode you both worked on. This time set the audio to the language you're offering. It's time to correct your partner's work.

4) Click the Glot Dojo icon › Full settings › Upload subtitles. Load the .srt with your partner's transcript so you can watch the episode/movie while using your partner's transcript as subtitles. This way it's very easy to catch mistakes.

5) Every time you catch a mistake, correct it in your partner's Google Document. Make sure to use the Comment mode instead of the Edit mode, even if your partner gave you full Editor permission. This way it'll be easier for them to see what changes you made.

The product
1) After you receive your partner's corrections in Google Docs, accept them or reject them as you see fit.

2) Copy the final contents of the Google Document you created (and which your partner corrected) to an .srt file as you did before.

3) Load it with GlotDojo and enjoy watching the same episode again in your TL, this time with proper subtitles that you and your partner created together.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Subtitle Cross-check: An Idea for a language exchange activity

Postby Le Baron » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:39 pm

I like the idea. However, for me personally, I don't visit or watch Netflix or any of those streaming sites.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”