realities & fallacies

General discussion about learning languages
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

realities & fallacies

Postby jimmy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:28 pm

you can provide your own realities and fallacies (whatever you detected & experienced). you can also criticize the stuffes I or someone else give.

--->> to believe that it would be impossible to learn after a defined period of time (i.e. "age") is a fallacy.
I had taught my over 70 age old mother somethings perfectly.

---->> you can learn something well either by travelling abroad or reading.
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: realities & fallacies

Postby luke » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:01 pm

"That'll never work. It's nonsense." - Reality: I'm not into motivation literature, but I'm quite apprised of individual differences and detect some self-centeredness and lack of investigation and imagination on the part of the fallacy maker :lol:
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 pm

luke wrote:"That'll never work. It's nonsense." - Reality: I'm not into motivation literature, but I'm quite apprised of individual differences and detect some self-centeredness and lack of investigation and imagination on the part of the fallacy maker :lol:

I'm feeling addressed!
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Fallacy: I think I know English
Reality: Suddenly a forum member write sentences that throw me off, maybe to show off, or as an intimation of an averment pertaining to certain constituent parties of this forum.
7 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm

tungemål wrote:Fallacy: I think I know English
Reality: Suddenly a forum member write sentences that throw me off, maybe to show off, or as an intimation of an averment pertaining to certain constituent parties of this forum.

tungemallllll, :)

To be honest , I generally think something either in Turkish or Kurdish. I believe something in Arabic. The expressions of my private life is probably congruent with Russian language.

mmm , well , whenever I come across such a comment or context , I suddenly start or want to start to laugh in Spanish and release

ja ja ja ja ja :) :) :) :)
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:01 pm

I was being sarcastic, but in a friendly way, because of Lukes complicated sentence. So I tried to use some words that even native speakers might not know.

jimmy wrote:---->> you can learn something well either by travelling abroad or reading.

Do you mean whether or not one can learn a language by travelling to the country? I think it helps, but I need to read as well.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:31 pm

tungemål wrote:I was being sarcastic, but in a friendly way, because of Lukes complicated sentence. So I tried to use some words that even native speakers might not know.
hahaha :) :) :) (I have to express that it was succesfull, because it was a bit difficult to understand :) )
jimmy wrote:---->> you can learn something well either by travelling abroad or reading.

Do you mean whether or not one can learn a language by travelling to the country? I think it helps, but I need to read as well.

no, I just wanted to express that it was optional to that one; he/she could select the way whichever he / she would.
This also means : one can learn the same things well via any of these methods:

1) travelling abroad
2) reading.

cheers. :)
0 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:16 pm

tungemål wrote:I was being sarcastic, but in a friendly way, because of Lukes complicated sentence. So I tried to use some words that even native speakers might not know.

You were successful :lol:

On the choice of words, such as "apprise", I don't know if there's a word like manic-depressive, for someone who is bipolar in certain linguistic capabilities, but that's how I feel sometimes. If I don't want to be rude, sometimes I go over-formal. I'm just less familiar with the middle ground. (think I called this idiot-savant here at least once).

In other threads, we've talked about idiolects. The particular word "nonsense" will almost never come from my mouth or my pen. So, if I use it, it's really on par with "apprise", in its frequency.

And just so you understand there was no "show off" meant in the original sentence, I didn't use "paucity" for "lack of" specifically because I thought "lack of" sufficiently covered what I was trying to say. For an alternative to "apprise", I'd have had to thought more or used a thesaurus.

And with romance languages, sometimes those fancy Latin sounding words are the normal way of saying things. I've noticed my English syntax is changing because of my Spanish studies. I'm not worried. People need to adapt to all kinds of things.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:58 am

ah, ok.
something should be normal for me. Yes, normally ,when something happen and not all of details are provided , then some people can easily fail to understand the core reson of something.

what at the same time I mean is that, that is the relevant people's weakness to not think the probability of exact reason when it is hidden. Because what those people do is a common action to refer the exact reason to something else and even that referred thing is almost totally being different than the exact reason.

ah, yes, it is normal.
Last edited by jimmy on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 am

Fallacy: My thoughts make sense
Reality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”