realities & fallacies

General discussion about learning languages
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: realities & fallacies

Postby golyplot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:40 am

tungemål wrote:Fallacy: I think I know English
Reality: Suddenly a forum member write sentences that throw me off, maybe to show off, or as an intimation of an averment pertaining to certain constituent parties of this forum.

I'm a native speaker and I still haven't heard "averment" before!
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:48 am

meanwhile, I have nothing to do with the editors / moderators of this website.
I only like their act here or policy. Because , they are not so much strict. That said, members can feel more free when write and I believe this is good property.

one another member recommended to me a forum but unfortunately that website is very bad to me, I can depict the moderators or editors of that website like a naughty child!

(sending warn messages to multilingual members , reminding them that they might be banned later ...etc are all awfful. )
I am already not a problematic personality (do not closely interact with anyone easily)
anyway, it has been three years I write here and even at the top of nervousness ,I did not take any warn message,which is not required.

and normally feel myself thankful across them.
Kind Regards.
2 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

FeoGringo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby FeoGringo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 pm

tungemål wrote:Fallacy: I think I know English
Reality: Suddenly a forum member write sentences that throw me off, maybe to show off, or as an intimation of an averment pertaining to certain constituent parties of this forum.

:lol:
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm

luke wrote:If I don't want to be rude, sometimes I go over-formal.

I used to do the same, and still do to an extent.

But when I started studying language, I discovered that formal language is actually very rude, because it implies social distance, and the rule I was told about "speaking politely" was utterly back-to-front.

Q. What's the rudest word in the English language?
A. Pardon. You can tell someone to f*ck off with a friendly smile on your face, but "pardon...?" is always said aggressively. And yet we're taught it's polite. That's one hell of a fallacy right there!!!
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:48 pm

Cainntear wrote:

But when I started studying language, I discovered that formal language is actually very rude, because it implies social distance, and the rule I was told about "speaking politely" was utterly back-to-front.

Q. What's the rudest word in the English language?
A. Pardon. You can tell someone to f*ck off with a friendly smile on your face, but "pardon...?" is always said aggressively. And yet we're taught it's polite. That's one hell of a fallacy right there!!!

to be honest,
I felt myself very surprised to see this comment. Yes, interesting.
because I enjoy formal language and also acts.
I can assume that if you or someone use that tone of tongue on my official work environment, well , punches and kicks will talk. :)

I discovered that formal language is actually very rude, because it implies social distance

social distance is good for me. I sometimes think I can set that distance even by the tone of my voice. anyway, I think this idea's status (i.e. good , bad ,neutral) can vary by one to another one.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Cainntear wrote:

It can also be used to show respect, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with social distance. It can be used to downplay emotions, which when they're negative can be unpleasant for all parties.

I understand you're example with 'pardon?', but that's not the only way it's used. On this side of the pond, it often means 'I didn't hear you, can you say that again?'.

But you called it a 'discovery', and I'm sometimes slow learner on these sorts of things, so appreciate your perspective.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”