Squid Game and the future of Korean language, pop culture

General discussion about learning languages
QueenBee
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced), Japanese (low N1 ?), Hebrew (~B2), Persian (just started)

Previously learned or dabbled in: Spanish, Thai, Palestinian Arabic

Squid Game and the future of Korean language, pop culture

Postby QueenBee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm

The massively popular Netflix series is inspiring people to dabble in Korean:

Duolingo reported a 76% rise in new users signing up to learn Korean in Britain and 40% in the United States over the two weeks following [Squid Game]'s premiere.

It may be tempting to dismiss this as a fad. After all, many of these people are just dabbling, and won't seriously continue learning Korean (just like many people dabbled in chess when The Queen's Gambit came out). But this isn't even the first time that Korean pop culture has had global success: think of K-pop (in general), Gangnam Style, Parasite, and Korean dramas.

I don't consume a lot of pop culture (I can't remember the last show I watched before Squid Game... I don't usually watch shows). But even I couldn't help but notice the amazing acting and production values. I think this show has really cemented South Korea, in the eyes of many, as a country with huge cinematic potential - no less than that of Hollywood.

Is this the beginning of a trend in coming decades, where South Korea establishes itself as a growing and constant pop culture powerhouse? Will this inspire more people to learn Korean? And why have other Asian countries either failed to do the same (c.f. China), or have lost the slack (in the case of Japan, whose days of manga/anime/video game glory seem to be fading)?
3 x
Active 常用漢字 writing - umpteenth attempt: 1339 / 2136

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: Squid Game and the future of Korean language, pop culture

Postby nooj » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Korean media has already been popular in East and South Asia for decades. Nothing new about watching Korean TV shows, unless you're a European or American. Those markets are notoriously impermeable to non European and non American products.
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

QueenBee
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced), Japanese (low N1 ?), Hebrew (~B2), Persian (just started)

Previously learned or dabbled in: Spanish, Thai, Palestinian Arabic

Postby QueenBee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:53 pm

nooj wrote:Those markets are notoriously impermeable to non European and non American products.

Then how did anime get so popular in the West?

And btw, Korean media has also been huge in France for a long time already.
1 x
Active 常用漢字 writing - umpteenth attempt: 1339 / 2136

bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Postby bolaobo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:31 pm

And why have other Asian countries either failed to do the same (c.f. China), or have lost the slack (in the case of Japan, whose days of manga/anime/video game glory seem to be fading)?

For China, it's an authoritarian regime who mainly makes content for domestic consumption and their attempts at exporting culture always comes across as heavy-handed, overly nationalistic and artificial. Not to mention the censorship and mass piracy stifles creativity.

As for Japan, I don't agree that it's "fading" but it's perhaps plateaued. Anime, manga, and video games are as popular as ever. J-Pop was never really popular outside of Asia, so even though K-Pop has become much more popular in recent years it wasn't at the cost of Japanese soft power. Korean movies are also getting more popular, but once again, Japanese movies were never really big outside of cinephile circles.
Last edited by bolaobo on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 12 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 31 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 86 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 4 / 15

nooj
Brown Belt

Postby nooj » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:31 pm

QueenBee wrote:
nooj wrote:Those markets are notoriously impermeable to non European and non American products.

Then how did anime get so popular in the West?

Dubbing. Which is unproblematic for anime and animation in general. If we had to watch anime with subtitles but listening to Japanese original audio, I doubt anime would have the popularity it has now. It also fulfilled niches that American and European animation did not have at the time. Today the scene is much more competitive, with home grown competition, e.g. Avatar TLA or Castlevania.

Other types of media are not as readily consumed, even after being dubbed. And so Japanese and Chinese non-animated TV shows or movies don't usually become massively popular in Europe and America. With a few honourable exceptions.

Competition is one of the reasons why Korean TV shows never had mainstream success in Europe and America. Even if Korean rom-coms were dubbed locally, Europe and America are already saturated by their own productions. That's why I'm skeptical of most Korean TV shows ever becoming popular in Europe and America unless they find some niche category that doesn't exist in these localities.

And btw, Korean media has also been huge in France for a long time already.

What kind of media? If you're referring to K-pop, it's 'huge' within a very limited target demographic, and virtually unknown out of it.

To sum up what I think. Korean media is already well known in East Asia and South Asia, but not in Europe and America, for structural reasons. And I don't think that's about to change. And I have even more serious doubts about the popularity of Korean as a foreign language. I believe that 20 years from now Korean will continue to attract an ultra-minority, and otherwise be completely ignored by most people.
4 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:56 pm

After weeks of seeing people talking constantly about 'Squid Game' on Twitter, I thought I'd better have a look at what it is.

Yes...or perhaps, no. Korean pop culture seems to be as terrible and vacuous as anything American/European. Can't imagine how this bilge is drawing people in to Korean. I've watched quite a lot of Classic Korean films from an excellent uploader on YT; the new stuff looks like mental regression.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm

My sister-in-law is learning some Korean because of K-Pop, and she is not the bookish or "learn-something-for-fun" type.
I think the exposure from Korea's entertainment industry will definitely result in more people learning Korean.
And K-Pop has more than just a niche appeal. There's been a K-Pop song in the Top Ten on the Billboard charts regularly for the last two years, and the current number one song on the billboard charts is a K-Pop song.
6 x
Bangla Pages: 8453
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

nooj
Brown Belt

Postby nooj » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:47 pm

I teach Korean to people here in Europe and my entirely anecdotal data are my students. The age bracket is teenagers to young adults and all are female. They become interested in learning Korean due to Korean TV shows and music. I'm very happy for them, but I'm still waiting for forty year old men to answer my ads.

And K-Pop has more than just a niche appeal. There's been a K-Pop song in the Top Ten on the Billboard charts regularly for the last two years, and the current number one song on the billboard charts is a K-Pop song.

Can you show me on the billboard.com website? Are you referring to the collaboration between BTS and Coldplay?
Last edited by nooj on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 pm

nooj wrote:I teach Korean to people here in Europe and my entirely anecdotal data are my students. The age bracket is teenagers to young adults and all are female. They become interested in learning Korean due to Korean TV shows and music. I'm very happy for them, but I'm still waiting for forty year old men to answer my ads.

I'm watching a ton of Korean dramas, (not the squid game though, I prefer Joseon dramas), and I'm learning Korean. Although my wife and I booked a trip, so I have more incentive than just watching K-Pop videos. Plus, I'm not 40 anymore. :)
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

nooj
Brown Belt

Postby nooj » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:05 pm

I'm watching a ton of Korean dramas, (not the squid game though, I prefer Joseon dramas
I love period dramas. I didn't even know that this was a thing for non-Koreans. How are you handling the different language registers? It's not something that's taught for beginning Korean learners.

My mother watched one episode of Squid Game (because all the non-Koreans around her were talking about it) and found it way too violent for her tastes. I haven't watched it yet and I don't plan to. Different tastes for different people. It's perfectly okay if you didn't like it, because a lot of Korean people didn't either.

Although my wife and I booked a trip, so I have more incentive than just watching K-Pop videos.
I hope you have a wonderful trip!
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “General Language Discussion”