Is Italian Overrated?

General discussion about learning languages
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Is Italian Overrated?

Postby Querneus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:53 pm

verdastelo wrote:Because this thread is about Italian, I'll end with two Italian books: Breve introduzione alla lingua cinese classica and Corso introduttivo di lingua cinese classica. Maurizio Scarpari is the author of both. Outside of East Asia, how many languages can you find Classical Chinese learning manuals in? I have found such manuals in English (most recent being Kai Vogelsang's Introduction to Classical Chinese), French (most recent is the two-volume Manuel de chinois classique of Léon Vandermeersch), German, Russian, and Italian! I have found nothing of that sort in much larger languages, such as Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Hindi, and Persian.

Wow. It's true, after spending a while trying, I really can't find any in Spanish.

*Someone* should get on that, pronto...
1 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Re: Is Italian Overrated?

Postby SpanishInput » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:56 am

This thread has made me:
-Want to learn Italian.
-Hungry. I associate Italian with food.

I guess Italian should come with a huge discount for a native Spanish speaker and fan of opera. Or maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

BTW, according to the EF English Proficiency Index, Italy has a lower English proficiency than France, so I guess Italians are less likely to switch to English.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”