Romantic Comedies in your Languages

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Romantic Comedies in your Languages

Postby luke » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Romantic Comedies aren't just chick flicks. Boy meets Girl, girl meets boy. They're feel good movies. Usually lots of dialog. All the subplots fit together in a beautiful bow.

What are the good Rom Coms in your TL or Native Language?

Two pop to mind in English:
The Wedding Singer
50 First Dates

Anything good out there?
1 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Re: Romantic Comedies in your Languages

Postby SpanishInput » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:52 am

In my TL (Mandarin Chinese) there's Meteor Garden (2018). It's cartoonish, incredibly ridiculous and over the top, but it's easier to understand than, say, costume dramas.
2 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 am

Seconding SpanishInput, there are loads of lighthearted romantic dramas from both mainland China and Taiwan which are really fun. For language learning, I prefer watching series over movies (more time to become familiar with the plot, characters, actors' accents etc). The ones I've been watching lately are:

Remember My Boy 我曾记得那男孩 - School drama told mostly in flashbacks (a period piece set in 2007! Makes me feel old :) ) with brief scenes in the present day, where the high school friend group are re-united and try to track down the main character's first love, who disappeared after graduation. I really got addicted to this one for some reason. The love story is slow-paced, it's very sweet and innocent, and it's also very nostalgic towards the characters' school days.

Suddenly Seventeen 28岁未成年 - Time travel school drama. An adult couple are transported back into their high school days. They try to change the future, they try to come home, and lots of high school hijinx ensue. Episodes are very short, so it feels fast-paced.
There is also a film with the same title which is very good, but it's not the same story, it's the reverse - the main character's teenage self coming into the present. Very "Freaky Friday" or "Thirteen Going on Thirty".

My Best Ex-Boyfriend 最佳前男友 - Love quadrangle set in the world of the fashion business. After watching mostly school dramas, it's refreshing to have a cast of characters who are all fully adults, who have full lives and interesting pasts already before the show starts. I don't really *like* any of the 4 main characters, they're all kind of jerks, but I like seeing how their personalities clash. It's no masterpiece but it's entertaining and fun.

Fall in Love With Me 爱上两个我 - Taiwanese drama where the leading man has a secret identity (classic Superman/Clark Kent style love "triangle" where the leading lady falls in love with one, but not the other). Set in the advertising industry. I've only just started this one, but it comes highly rated and I'm having fun so far!

And a curveball: There's a web series called Legend of Yun Qian/Legend of Two Girls 云芊传. Each episode is 4 minutes long, which makes it shorter than a movie in total. And it's a historical fantasy and time travel plot, it is completely wacky and off the rails, but if the idea of a Chinese historical fantasy lesbian drama appeals to you at all, this show is like a warm fluffy blanket and a mug of tea on a rainy day.
3 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 am

French: Un Mauvais Garçon, Occupe-toi d'Amélie, Quelle Drôle de Gosse!, all Danielle Darrieux films.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:57 pm

DaveAgain wrote:French: Un Mauvais Garçon, Occupe-toi d'Amélie, Quelle Drôle de Gosse!, all Danielle Darrieux films.
Thank you for the reference to Darrieux. Here she is introducing and singing a song with accurate subtitles in French:
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “General Language Discussion”