Total votes: 61

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Why do you learn languages?

Postby Le Baron » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:02 pm

'Practical/informational' seems to be least popular. It was the choice I made. If I could blend that with 'social' it would be closer to my motivations. Even though I have gaping holes in terms of informational access in Chinese, Arabic.

The reading element is for 50% only a learning tool for me. I love reading literature, even some 'great books', but I wouldn't even start a language if that was all it was for.

At this 'polyglot' rate, the most you ever get is a small pinhole of insight into the world of people who live and breathe their particular language. To that end, and filtering out all the small number or people who feel they are exceptions to this, I'm moving more towards a smaller number of languages and aiming for as much depth as I can manage.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Any combination of the presented alternatives, but sometimes none of them. For instance, my current Dutch focus has no practical reason (at least not in any immediate sense), no particular literary reason either, and definitely not a social reason.

I just happen to like the sound of it, I also like the fact that I can grasp a lot of it thanks to my other Germanic languages.
12 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

FeoGringo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby FeoGringo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 am

iguanamon wrote:There's also the thrill of reaching the ability to understand a language that was gibberish before. Being able to communicate with others using the language. Understanding a new culture. I still can't believe I can do this with a second language. It's like a minor miracle.

I couldn't have said it better. It's magical to me - being able to understand a language that was once just a wall of sound. Communicating is fun too but just the understanding part, for me anyway, is hugely motivating.
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:32 pm

For a multitude of reasons, which are not adequately covered by this poll
6 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

mthornt1
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B1)

Postby mthornt1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:00 am

For me it's amazing to be able to learn to communicate with people in their own language, and then see the difference in the depth of those relationships as a result. Someone you've known for years can have a completely different level of confidence, and personality when you speak to them in their native language. I seek depth in my knowledge of a language, my connections to specific communities and places, and those cultures.

I started learning them I guess because I thought it was cool to be able to catch people off guard with languages when they weren't expecting it, but it became so much more. Unless my company moves me to Sweden or something, I'll probably stop learning languages with Spanish and French. I have access to those communities (within the US and Canada) and hopefully will be able to spend the rest of time on this planet deepening my connections with those cultures and the language is key that opens the door to the rest.

“If you speak to a person in a language they understand, that goes to their head. If you talk to them in their own language, that goes to their heart.”
4 x

mthornt1
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B1)

Postby mthornt1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 am

... Also I guess I selected the languages that I can use in everyday life, whether it be professional or personal life. There's a double benefit for me for both French and Spanish because they'll help me professionally, and the likelihood of not losing all that hard work and maintaining the languages long term is increased specifically for these two languages for me.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:28 pm

I have multiple & mandatory choices.
so, I preferred not to vote.
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Why / how does it matter why people learn languages?
0 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:07 pm

The poll around here seems to be because there are so many great books in different languages. I voted for social relationships - which is/was the primary motivating factor for me, but I can't resist the pull of a good book. I'm halfway through the sequel to Like Water for Chocolate and I would not want to try and tackle this book in my native language.
1 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:47 pm

For me the language learning has mostly been for books, even though they don't need to be great literary works :)

I see the poll inclines to that as well, but I can't imagine it being the reason for the average language learner out there, like on Duolingo. Although they have Duolingo stories now :) My 12 yr old who's in French immersion definitely liked learning with the Duolingo stories better than the regular language practice on the app. But that's learning with stories, not learning to be able to read stories.

Looking at some surveys right now and the main reason for language app users is definitely communication/travel :)
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”