Should I and is it worth watching telenovelas without subtitles / auto-generated ones?

General discussion about learning languages
Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Should I and is it worth watching telenovelas without subtitles / auto-generated ones?

Postby Sonjaconjota » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 pm

These are two well-known German series which actually call themselves "Telenovelas" instead of the more common "Seifenoper":
https://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/soaps-telenovelas/sturm-der-liebe/index.html
https://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/soaps-telenovelas/rote-rosen/index.html
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Should I and is it worth watching telenovelas without subtitles / auto-generated ones?

Postby lusan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 pm

AllSubNoDub wrote:
I magically went from understanding a word here and there, to understanding whole sentences here in there, to understanding large chunks at a time, to understanding virtually everything. It's funny, because although I know this works, I've also been obsessing over subtitles with Spanish too. Being lazy is the key, at the time the pause button was on the other side of the room. :P

Absolutely true, as far as I am concerned.
I did the same for French and Italian. It works like magic.
-Of course, I study voc and basic grammar as well as the serial watching.
I would think that it is better after finishing a basic course.

Just relax and let the brain does its work putting all the grammar and learn voc together.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:32 pm

daegga wrote:Headphones (or even better in-ears) help. Even in a seemingly silent room they make a difference.

yes yes yes...
Headphones force focusing on listening.
4 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:51 pm

lusan wrote:-Of course, I study voc and basic grammar as well as the serial watching.
I would think that it is better after finishing a basic course.

Just relax and let the brain does its work putting all the grammar and learn voc together.

This 100%. It's so magical to work through an old (1st gen) Teach yourself or Hugo's or something that gives you around 3k vocab and a big chunk of the basic grammar then just let the language come alive. A lot of people get addicted to this "epiphany moment" you get and start learning too many languages (it's really like a drug). :lol: The most frequent words you're learning on the side will pop out at you in the shows and cement themselves. I used Iversen's method for learning the vocab then let the tv do the rest (Germanic languages seem best for this, at least for me, though I can't really explain why).
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”