As and adult, is it possible to learn two languages to a high level of fluency at the same time?

General discussion about learning languages
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: As and adult, is it possible to learn two languages to a high level of fluency at the same time?

Postby einzelne » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 pm

sfuqua wrote:Once again, I'm sorry about using the "F" word.

You made my day!

But jokes aside, a student at the university is an adult so she on he can definitely learn two languages at the same time. They have plenty of free time. Will they reach C1 in both of them? Well, if it's something like English and German for a speaker of Slavic languages, I guess it might be doable. But if it's Arabic and Cantonese, hmmm, I doubt it.
But then the question arises: whether it is really productive to start with 2 languages at the same time...

If by an adult learner you mean someone with a full time job, social life or, worse yet, family responsibilities, I would defintely curb my enthusiasm even languages are easy or related.

Still too many variables. It's hard to generalize.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: As and adult, is it possible to learn two languages to a high level of fluency at the same time?

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:39 pm

sfuqua wrote:I should have said something like, does anybody ever take 2 languages from A1 to C1 while studying both each day/week?

Expugnator learned a number of languages using a time-table. Mr Arguelles of course too!
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”