What do you think about shadowing for language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
Miamia
Languages: English (N), Japanese (B1)

What do you think about shadowing for language learning?

Postby Miamia » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi,
I'm an English teacher and a researcher. I'm interested in shadowing as a language learning technique.
I'd like to hear what people think about it? Have you heard about it before?
Have you tried it? Do you have any opinions about how successful it could be?
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: What do you think about shadowing for language learning?

Postby sfuqua » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:09 pm

I think it is wonderful for producing fast, smooth production, with good rhythm.
It is good for getting a learner fast and smooth enough to produce "Shekhtman islands" in a way that will encourage a native speaker to keep talking to you.

I like it, but it has limitations, since you can learn to shadow a passage without knowing what you are talking about at all. :lol:
7 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

JonathanOl
Languages: Speak - Hebrew, English, Spanish, French
Learn - Latin, Japanese, Italian, Hawaiian

Postby JonathanOl » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:01 am

I really like this technique and I've been using it a lot to improve my pronunciation skills in languages I learn (including Latin).
Just like any other method, not all learners will enjoy it, and some learners will prefer to learn in other methods.
I can recommend you to:
1. Try it yourself, see if it works well for you and if your pronunciation is improving.
2. If you like it and feel comfortable with it, try teaching this technique to some of the students who you think will enjoy it, and see how it works.
1 x

Miamia
Languages: English (N), Japanese (B1)

Postby Miamia » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks for your comments.
I am currently studying this technique as part of my masters degree. I am aware of it's actual benefits and how it functions. Actually, the fact that you are unaware of the content of what you are shadowing is part of why it works so well, it forces you to focus on the sound rather than the meaning which improves phonic recognition and the ability to better recognise the boundaries between words. It should then increase the speed at which you can process speech which allows you to process and remember larger blocks of speech.
I have been struggling to get people's interest in this technique and as a result have been unable to find people to work with on my study.
As a result of this, I was wondering what people's general opinons are of shadowing, perhaps they are just unaware of it, or perhaps they don't expect it to be effective. On the other hand, there may be people who have used it and have either positive or negative experiences.
1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 pm

Miamia wrote:I am currently studying this technique as part of my masters degree. I am aware of it's actual benefits and how it functions.

As a result of this, I was wondering what people's general opinions are of shadowing.

For me, I've found it helpful for knowing I know and what the audio is saying and when I'm unclear on things. This is particularly helpful "blind" shadowing an audiobook. (meaning not reading while repeating the text after the speaker/narrator). Something longer like a podcast or audiobook is hard for me to shadow if I don't know what they're saying.

Examples of things I can become aware I'm unclear on:
Gender of a word, where that is marked with a different sound (or adjectives that should be marked with a different sound).
Verbs that get inflected, as is common in romance languages and perhaps almost all languages.
Vocabulary.

What I'm saying is if I'm chasing after the narrator/speaker, shadowing what is being said, if I don't understand what they're saying, I can't keep up as well and have more "pick it up again" moments, rather than "you're still on track". Thinking kind of in terms of a bicycle. You didn't crash, or you're falling much less frequently, or you feel more confident, or less like a tight-rope walker doing an impressive stunt.

When I have audio memorized or at least know it well enough that with the support of the text I can repeat simultaneously with the speaker, I get feedback and course correction on pronunciation. To me, "simultaneous" is not exactly shadowing, but really helps me make tiny pronunciation adjustments to sound like the speaker.

Will be curious to hear more about you're study's findings.
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Return to “General Language Discussion”