Richard Simkott on fake polyglots

General discussion about learning languages
ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Richard Simkott on fake polyglots

Postby ryanheise » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:57 am

Dragon27 wrote:
AllSubNoDub wrote:Here's the heckler. No idea how I came across him. He's unintentionally hilarious but at the same time strikes me as seriously deranged.

... the guy seems extremely repetitive and boring

That gave me the idea to run the Sam's and Richard's words each through a compression tool to compare how repetitive they are and therefore how well they each compress:

Sam's words compress with a ratio of 42% (easier to compress)
Richard's words compress with a ratio of 66%. (harder to compress)

Behold, Sam giving his eloquent speech on why Luca is a fake polyglot who is not really from Italy like he claims:

he is fake liar and scammer and he's from usa he's fake liar and scammer and he's from usa and he can only speak one language that's english he can only speak english that's one language luca lampariello he can only speak english that's one language and he's not from italy he's not from italy he's from usa he can only speak one language that's english he's from usa he's not from italy and i don't think his real name is luca lampariello it's just some name he made for his youtube channel to pretend that he's from italy so people think he can speak more language he's from usa and he can only speak english

I do thank AllSubNoDub for sharing the heckler's video. Despite being a complete waste of time, of course, it did brighten my day as it was fun to see Richard politely handle the situation, Wolfie6020 style.
2 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:27 am

It's interesting to me how much energy some people put into this topic of "fake polyglots". Why is it even a thing?

It triggers something in the inside of those people. Envy for their attention? Or the believe that attention and praise should only go to the ones that deserve it. Why does nobody praise you instead, you are learning the language the real way after all, in depth. Why do people like superficial things instead of looking deeper?
Questions after questions in the inside, and maybe a frustrating clash with reality, showing how our societies works. After all, if you are well studied in other domains it also won't guarantee praise outside the domain of your specialty.

For me this is a topic where one can learn about people, not about language learning. :geek:
2 x

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:31 pm

ryanheise wrote:he is fake liar and scammer and he's from usa he's fake liar and scammer and he's from usa and he can only speak one language that's english he can only speak english that's one language luca lampariello he can only speak english that's one language and he's not from italy he's not from italy he's from usa he can only speak one language that's english he's from usa he's not from italy and i don't think his real name is luca lampariello it's just some name he made for his youtube channel to pretend that he's from italy so people think he can speak more language he's from usa and he can only speak english

This is at least better than Nim's best attempt, though strikingly similar.

Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.
~Nim Chimpsky
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:09 pm

I wonder if Sam saw Luca Lampariello having a 40 minute discussion in French with that fellow from Inner French a couple of days ago? That's at least one more language than he gives him credit for.

No doubt he'll think it's some fake editing/dubbing. Because it's easier to do that than just find someone who can speak French.
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”