Are "language exchange" apps worth the effort?

General discussion about learning languages
greatSchism
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Studied but inactive: German (A2), Hungarian (A2), and French (A1)

Re: Are "language exchange" apps worth the effort?

Postby greatSchism » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Cavesa wrote:i think we have gone too far away from the initial topic.

I agree, back to the topic.

With how many exchange partners do you talk like this? It looks like you've managed to create a very solid learning relationship with these people, as sending voice messages repeatedly clearly requires more work than just a superficial chat. How did you achieve that?

Finding like-minded individuals takes luck, free time, and some effort. The time and effort involved are the issues for me. Currently, there are a few people that I chat with on a regular/semi-regular basis through Skype and Tandem voice messages. Chat partners usually don't last long, people get busy in their lives, or they are no longer interested in chatting for whatever reason. When I first went on a tandem, I became too distracted after a few months and deleted it. I let the people know that I was taking a break from the app. After being off of it for more some time , I decided to go back on the app. There was one person I had met on there in Jan, and we sent short messages back and forth on almost a daily basis for five months, then they ghosted me. At this point, I will keep chatting with the same people I already know and move on to another platform at some point.

I logged on to Tandem tonight. I have favorited 50 people, and I only favorite people after messaging for 20 minutes or so. However, I do not know the exact number of people I have interacted with before favoriting them, but I would guess I have messaged or been messaged by at least 250 people. I have had long-term communications (contact frequency >1 / week for >2 months ) with 7 people.

This is the max:
7/250 = 2.8% success rate
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”