If you can't speak Latin in Rome...

General discussion about learning languages
David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Re: If you can't speak Latin in Rome...

Postby David27 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 pm

einzelne wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I'm inclined to agree, which makes me again think: why does Luke Ranieri have to be a perfect reader? Or be compared to a classicist? His thing is speaking Latin, but he can clearly read it.

He doesn't have to be. My point is simple: let's celebrate his achievements but let's not exaggerate his competence. So that others would have realistic expectations. And really, when it comes to classical works, there's nothing shameful about checking dictionary or critical apparatus time and then.

If you’re curious on how well his speaking helps with sight reading a new text and amount of comprehension, why not just ask him? He’s pretty responsive to comments and seems honest and upfront about things.
0 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: If you can't speak Latin in Rome...

Postby einzelne » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:13 am

David27 wrote:If you’re curious on how well his speaking helps with sight reading a new text and amount of comprehension, why not just ask him? He’s pretty responsive to comments and seems honest and upfront about things.

What for? I have my own experience with living languages, so I know from personal experience how helpful it is for developing reading skills. Just like I know from my own personal experience that at the end of the day it is the vocabulary size that counts for reading unadapted texts.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”