Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: If you can't speak Latin in Rome...

Postby lingua » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:20 pm

I started the Latin MOOC course through uninettunouniversity.net a few years ago though I never finished it. The professor pronounced Latin the same way as Italian which of course isn't how other sources teach it. Presumably that is how it's taught in Italy.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:43 pm

lingua wrote:I started the Latin MOOC course through uninettunouniversity.net a few years ago though I never finished it.

Was it because of the content of the course itself or because of Ecclesiastical pronunciation?
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:42 am

einzelne wrote:
lingua wrote:I started the Latin MOOC course through uninettunouniversity.net a few years ago though I never finished it.

Was it because of the content of the course itself or because of Ecclesiastical pronunciation?

Oops ... I forgot that this had a name. Pretty sure the professor even mentioned it. I actually like that pronunciation. I was taking the course more to take something in Italian than to learn Latin. That was just a bonus. I always intended to finish it but my tendency is to flit form one source to another so it got left behind. I also didn't think the interface was very good.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:37 am

Le Baron wrote:
outcast wrote:He went to the wrong country. He should go to Vatican City. I wonder if it's hard to get there from Rome... 8-)

They speak a strange dialect in Vatican City.

Can you elaborate? I thought they spoke Italian, and for ceremonial purposes Latin.

I think it would have been even more interesting to go there and do part of the video at or around the Holy See, since Latin is the quasi- official language there. It would have been interesting to see how the people there stacked up fluency wise. Unique twist.

To do it in the streets of Rome we all know what would happen, it's just like a candid camera tv shows will do, where we are all in on the joke except the victim. :)
0 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:41 am

I meant (as a joke) that they speak using the specifically ecclesiastical pronunciation, which would be 'foreign' to a speaker of classical Latin :lol: . So essentially the reverse of what he is doing here.

But yes, I would also have liked to see just how accomplished they are in Vatican City. However I imagine it is more problematic to go about filming randomly there than around Italy generally.
4 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:06 am

3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:03 am

Optime! He's really putting them through their paces. Nice one, I didn't think he'd get in there to do this.

In the comments some nut wrote these gems:
ancient Greek does not exists, its actually Turkic language. As Mehmed II wrote to Pope after liberating constantinople, "we are descendants of Troy. And we avenged our ancestors" and staying that Romans are trojans as well. Therefore turks (trojans) and Pope (post trojans) should form an alliance. And this is confirmed and supported by greatest leader of all time. Atatürk

well, are you going to deny what Atatürk and Mehmed II said? Are you more credible than them? Atatürk supported the idea of lost continent of Mu, which all humanity derives from, and original inhabitants of Mu were turks, all humanity of today is turkic. And Mehmed II knew that trojans were turkic

:lol:
1 x

Hash
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N)

Postby Hash » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:24 am

tungemål wrote:Haha. That's great. Now someone try the same experiment speaking old english in London or old norse in Norway.

Or Biblical Hebrew in Tel Aviv!

Le Baron wrote:Optime! He's really putting them through their paces. Nice one, I didn't think he'd get in there to do this.

In the comments some nut wrote these gems:
ancient Greek does not exists, its actually Turkic language. As Mehmed II wrote to Pope after liberating constantinople, "we are descendants of Troy. And we avenged our ancestors" and staying that Romans are trojans as well. Therefore turks (trojans) and Pope (post trojans) should form an alliance. And this is confirmed and supported by greatest leader of all time. Atatürk

well, are you going to deny what Atatürk and Mehmed II said? Are you more credible than them? Atatürk supported the idea of lost continent of Mu, which all humanity derives from, and original inhabitants of Mu were turks, all humanity of today is turkic. And Mehmed II knew that trojans were turkic

:lol:

He's obviously a troll.
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am

Actually - Luke did go the Vatican and speak Latin to priests. Unsurprisingly, the spoken Latin of most of the Catholic priests was bad to not that good, but some could speak enough Latin to have a very basic conversation.

I think the more interesting experiment would be to go to a classics department of a top university and see if academic Latinists can speak it at Luke's level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDhEzP0b-Wo&t=344s
3 x

David27
Green Belt
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Elexi wrote:Actually - Luke did go the Vatican and speak Latin to priests. Unsurprisingly, the spoken Latin of most of the Catholic priests was bad to not that good, but some could speak enough Latin to have a very basic conversation.

I think the more interesting experiment would be to go to a classics department of a top university and see if academic Latinists can speak it at Luke's level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDhEzP0b-Wo&t=344s

Unless they practice speaking regularly (unlikely, but maybe some do?), then there is no way they would be able to speak anywhere near Luke's level. They would need to practice it regularly to maintain some degree of spoken fluency like Luke and his friends in his videos have, but I too would be interested to see how well they could get by.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”