How many books in your target language do you read on average per year?

General discussion about learning languages

How many books in your target language do you read on average per year?

I don't read books
No votes
1-10
60%
10-20
23%
20-30
11%
30-40
No votes
more than 40
6%

Total votes: 47

nagoyana
White Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN (C*), JA (C*/N1), FR (B2), KO (B?/TOPIK5), CN (just starting...)

Re: How many books in your target language do you read on average per year?

Postby nagoyana » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm

I checked the 10-20 option since that was my gut feeling.
Now I checked and 20-30 might have been more appropriate. :lol: According to my lists, I read about 23 books per year on average between 2018 and 2020 – although 2020 was far from a „normal“ year 8-)

2018: 23 books (all JP/~7000p)
2019: 15 books (14 JP/~5500p; 1 FR/~300p)
2020: 32 books (19 JP/~5000p; 9 FR/~4250p; 4 KO/~2000p) +13 EN/~4500p that do not count :D
2021: 17 books so far (6 JP/~2500p; 8 FR/~4000p; 3 KO/~1500p)

I am seriously behind for Japanese this year! But since I have already finished my French goal, I still have 5 months left to catch up. ;)
2 x
Corrections in any language are much appreciated.

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Le Baron wrote:I don't use an e-reader extensively, so I wonder what people think about the ease of looking up words with built-in dictionaries. I tend to feel that it makes things too easy at times. The necessity of building tolerance to skip over a few unknown things for the sake of reading momentum seems to me better than looking up every word and also forces you to work things out.

I have a love-hate relationship with e-readers. On the one hand their cheap design and form factor leave much to be desired (you either have small e-readers the size of women's purse or huge ones for reading PDFs). On the other hand, since I learn languages to read sophisticated and challenging books in the original, they are a real blessing.

I don't see using pop-up dictionary as making things easy or cheating. I read books for myself, and when it comes to high quality writing, I want to savor every single word. What's the point of reading a classical work in the original, if you can only 'get the gist'? You'd be far better off with the translation, even a bad one. But now, thanks to the Kindle app on my iPad, I can read—and enjoy!—the works which would be still out of reach for me, since checking more that 10 words per page is a real chore.

That said, I continue to read paper books. In that case I rarely check words, for I'm too lazy. But you need to have at least 99% known words for that, if your aim is to enjoy the prose, not just 'getting the gist'.

So, now it's almost a natural division for me: intensive reading on iPad, and paper books for extensive reading.
Last edited by einzelne on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm

iguanamon wrote:
aren't going to be able to get a dictionary to work with your files. I have no idea how to make an e-reader recognize a converted dictionary and have it link to it in an ebook I've created for a minority language.

You should just need to edit the metadata in the file and set the language. In calibre you can just right click the file and select edit metadata.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”