Why is so much internet content in Russian?

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Why is so much internet content in Russian?

Postby luke » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm

Serpent wrote:
Ug_Caveman wrote: Is it due to Russian acting as a lingua franca across Eastern Europe?

Some other reasons I can think of:
-mirror sites. Interestingly this includes sites where the interface is in Russian but the actual content is in another language
-There are still plenty of major sites for stuff like reviews/opinions, information, gossip and whatnot. On many subjects there's no single go-to site but several equally good ones.
-Emigrants/expats often continue using Russian sites and may create new sites for their community.

Christi wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid
I resemble that remark. Perhaps too closely.

Serpent's answers and your question lead me to the following conclusion. Apologies in advance to Ug_Caveman.

The subject would be less confusing if it asked: Why are so many websites in Russian?. (I don't care for the sound of that though).

Amount of content is not the same as number of websites. There's a correlation, but it's quite inexact. Conclusion from Serpent's brilliant examples. Say there are a million small (content wise) websites that focus on any of a million possible themes. Then there's 1 enormous site that focuses on everything. The stats in the original post do NOT reflect amount of content. They reflect number of websites.

FAQ from W3Techs - the site that created the image wrote:Which websites do you count? Do you crawl all the web?

For the surveys, we count the top 10 million websites according to Alexa and Tranco, see our technology overview for more explanations. We do crawl more sites, but we use the top 10 million to select a representative sample of established sites. We found that including more sites in the sample (e.g. all the sites we know) may easily lead to a bias towards technologies typically used for "throw-away" sites or parked sites or other types of spam domains.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:53 pm

verdastelo wrote:With that said, I don't think the W3Techs chart is correct. It could probably be off by a huge margin. W3Techs ists Baidu.com as one of the most popular English-language websites, which seems wrong to me. Baidu is China's most popular search engine. I have seen its Traditional Chinese version, but never an English interface.

That suggests strongly that they may well simply be looking at top-level domains -- Baidu is .com, which would be adequate to explain why it's marked as "English".
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:20 am

Ug_Caveman wrote: Is it due to Russian acting as a lingua franca across Eastern Europe?

ha! What a coincidence. If you're bored, or are having trouble falling asleep, here's something to read on this very subject: Russian Language Prestige in the States of the Former Soviet Union (pdf).* I don't think this is the answer to your question, but it will touch on it a bit.

*FWIW, my thesis also shows up on Amazon at times for crazy stupid prices. Don't spend your money. Any thesis written by a U.S. government employee attending an institution funded by Uncle Sam is free to the public.
7 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “General Language Discussion”