Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: The statistical distribution of language difficulty

Postby Cainntear » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:19 pm

s_allard wrote:I agree with iversen that the arguments in the thread are going around in circles. I skip the heady theoretical stuff and focus on the results.

Then you're here too early. Come back in a few months' time when there are proper results to discuss.
1 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:59 pm

Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:I agree with iversen that the arguments in the thread are going around in circles. I skip the heady theoretical stuff and focus on the results.

Then you're here too early. Come back in a few months' time when there are proper results to discuss.

It's been over five months since the last messages in this thread, and I wonder if there are any interesting results as promised.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:15 pm

s_allard wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

It's been over five months since the last messages in this thread, and I wonder if there are any interesting results as promised.

You'd be better off tagging the guy who was doing the experiments than tagging me then.
0 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:49 pm

s_allard wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Come back in a few months' time when there are proper results to discuss.

Hi all, yes I should probably give a status update and explain my absence.

Over these past 7 months I have unfortunately been diagnosed with an increasing number of health conditions, as well as the anxiety that comes with accepting the "new normal" for quality of life going forward. As a result, I've made precisely no progress on the project, instead opting to focus on health. I am really sad about that, but I must prioritise health if I am going to have a chance of continuing my projects and hobbies long term.

One thing I would also just say now is that I don't want to make any promises. I would like to take my time, and only try to make little bits of progress here and there when I feel that it won't compromise my health, and although the previous "fit and energetic" version of me would love to participate in interesting discussions here daily, I will probably need to limit my participation here, too.

I was in hospital on Monday, and just having that behind me does at least give me some mental energy to get back on the saddle. I would consider this thread as being fully exhausted as far as the original topic is concerned, so if I do have something actual to share based on all of this theoretical work (surely not any time soon), I will create a new topic for it.

I also recognise that I may no longer be able to accomplish this as a solo effort if I can only operate at 10% capacity, so I might do a call out at some point to see if anyone else would be interested in working on this together.
9 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”