I scored B1 in reading on dialang

General discussion about learning languages
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: I scored B1 in reading on dialang

Postby tiia » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 am

jeffers wrote:
I guess the downforeveryoneorjustme website is broken because it gives me the same result, but when I click on the link just under the message dialang opens up!

Just a quick question, are you going to dialang with just dialangweb.lancaster.ac.uk or are you using the full address https://dialangweb.lancaster.ac.uk/ ? I have had a few instances where the version without https stopped working in my browser but using the full address did work. Probably something about DNS addresses changing while my locally saved version kept pointing to the old location. (Something I learned about when we had to set the IP address locally in order to be able to acces HTLAL because it no longer existed on DNS servers. Remember that one? :lol: )

I don't remember all the problems with HTLAL, because I've never been a member over there. :D

I've tried your link and it's giving me the same result, however you got me thinking and I tried to access the site with my smartphone (and mobile internet, not WLAN) and that worked. Then I tried accessing the site from my laptop via smartphone and that worked as well. (By just clicking the same link!)
Is there anything else one can do without having access to the router? I mean using my smartphone is, even though I have no data limit, not really the best solution in my opinion.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:21 am

I can't access the dialang website through https anymore either.
It (Firefox) says SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE.
0 x
Future me already did it.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:44 am

It means the websites security certificate is out of date or revoked. You can not fix this, only website owner can.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Tom Busch
Languages: English (N) Spanish (between beginner and intermediate?)

Postby Tom Busch » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:35 am

tiia wrote:
jeffers wrote:
I guess the downforeveryoneorjustme website is broken because it gives me the same result, but when I click on the link just under the message dialang opens up!

Just a quick question, are you going to dialang with just dialangweb.lancaster.ac.uk or are you using the full address https://dialangweb.lancaster.ac.uk/ ? I have had a few instances where the version without https stopped working in my browser but using the full address did work. Probably something about DNS addresses changing while my locally saved version kept pointing to the old location. (Something I learned about when we had to set the IP address locally in order to be able to acces HTLAL because it no longer existed on DNS servers. Remember that one? :lol: )

I don't remember all the problems with HTLAL, because I've never been a member over there. :D

I've tried your link and it's giving me the same result, however you got me thinking and I tried to access the site with my smartphone (and mobile internet, not WLAN) and that worked. Then I tried accessing the site from my laptop via smartphone and that worked as well. (By just clicking the same link!)
Is there anything else one can do without having access to the router? I mean using my smartphone is, even though I have no data limit, not really the best solution in my opinion.

What about using a different browser? I use chrome but I also just tried it in edge and that worked for me too.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:19 am

Tom Busch wrote:What about using a different browser? I use chrome but I also just tried it in edge and that worked for me too.
I'll try to summarise everything I have tried:

1. Private laptop (Linux) via LAN* using Firefox - no access.
2. Private laptop (Linux) via LAN* using Chrome - no access.
3. Smartphone via mobile internet using Chrome - could access the site.
4. Private laptop via mobile internet from the smartphone using Firefox: could access the site.
5. A second laptop** (Windows) via LAN* using Chrome - no access.
6. A second laptop** (Windows) via LAN* using Edge - no access.

*I am having a direct LAN connection without a separate router or similar inside my flat. (There is probably *something* in the cellar, but nothing that I have access to.)
**It's not mine so I just used it for testing purposes,

The second laptop (with Windows) did show in both cases "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".
Could this maybe fit to whatever jeffers was referring to?

Does it make sense to split the thread into two? It's already quite far from the original one...
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 pm

tiia wrote:I'll try to summarise everything I have tried:

1. Private laptop (Linux) via LAN* using Firefox - no access.
2. Private laptop (Linux) via LAN* using Chrome - no access.
3. Smartphone via mobile internet using Chrome - could access the site.
4. Private laptop via mobile internet from the smartphone using Firefox: could access the site.
5. A second laptop** (Windows) via LAN* using Chrome - no access.
6. A second laptop** (Windows) via LAN* using Edge - no access.

*I am having a direct LAN connection without a separate router or similar inside my flat. (There is probably *something* in the cellar, but nothing that I have access to.)
**It's not mine so I just used it for testing purposes,

The second laptop (with Windows) did show in both cases "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".
Could this maybe fit to whatever jeffers was referring to?

Does it make sense to split the thread into two? It's already quite far from the original one...
I think what might be happening is that the website is down, but some ISPs, like your mobile provider, are serving a cached page.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”