Best App for language learning

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Best App for language learning

Postby luke » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:34 am

ryanheise wrote:
thelazyoxymoron wrote:
ryanheise wrote:Outside of that, I just use some custom-made scripts and programs within Linux to help me to do targeted practice, which I find is a good substitute for apps.

I'd be interested to hear more about this :)

OK, so here is how it works (and why it might actually be of interest to language learners):

Linux is an alternative to Windows and macOS where the primary means of interaction is not through a point and click of the mouse, but rather through language!

Reminds me of a frequency investigation of Don Quixote I once did on Linux:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... p?TID=4045

Basically, I started with the text from gutenberg.org.
Turn it into long list with each word on a new line.
Pass that through various 'sed' transformations to:
remove hyphens and other punctuation
lower case everything
convert conjugated verbs infinitive (both regular and irregular)
convert plurals to singular
Sort the list.
Count the uniq words.
Sort by the word count.

I don't have that script handy anymore. It wasn't perfect and the algorithm may have been slightly more complicated than above, but it was fairly easy and interesting to do.

Apparently I posted it to HTLAL, but due to some criticism, "removed the eyesore", which is unfortunate, because I'm curious all these years later. Also why I try to be sensitive in criticism, as the fallout can be unfortunate and unnecessary.

Another cool thing about Linux is you can do a lot of this on the command line, make a quick adjustment, run it again. Once you have something worth keeping, save it to a script and continue to refine it.

And just as a note, everything I've written in Perl, I later regretted that I didn't choose an easier language, like the Linux shell to maintain. (since I'm not a professional programmer). For me, there's been a similar lesson with language learning. Get really good at something, rather than switching plates. Getting to an intermediate level in a language, whether programming or human has generally ended up not bearing fruit in the long term. I have to go all the way, however that's defined.
3 x

Dimi
Languages: Bulgarian(N), Russian(Advanced), English(B2), German(B2.1)

Postby Dimi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:57 am

Hi All,

I'm new here. I recently developed an goal/activity tracking Android app specifically designed for language learners like us. It's called Lingo Journal and you can find it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teraculus.lingojournalandroid

It will not teach you a language but it will help you stay motivated with daily or long-term goals. I use it for learning German. For example, I have a daily goals for reading a book (currently G.Orwell's "Animal Farm", highly recommended), a long-term goal for finishing the same book, and 2 other daily goals for listening and writing in German.

I can track all of my language learning activities and use the stat page to check if I'm getting lazy or not :D. Also the daily notification reminds me not to forget to track my activities and goals.

I hope this app could be useful for you as well. Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback. I'm happy to answer any questions.
0 x

Gala
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (fluent), French (intermediate)

Postby Gala » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:37 pm

I really like Linguno:https://www.linguno.com/

Surprised it hasn't been discussed more here. I just searched the forums for it and it looks like only one member has ever mentioned it.

It's not yet an app although it will be at some point; it's a site that's still in beta and therefore still completely free. They say that all of the activities are configured to work well in a browser on a mobile, but I can't comment on that as I've only used it on my laptop and tablet. They also say they haven't decided on a business model yet, but claim that all of the currently available activities and features will remain free.

Like Clozemaster, it's built around sentences from Tatoeba but offers more for free (although only for six languages [all European.])
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:39 pm

https://www.languagereactor.com/catalog ... anguage=es

was Language Learning with YouTube/Netflix, now: Language Reactor

some impressive features:

- catalogue for language learning on YouTube
- reading tool with import function
- like LingoPlayer import your Sat-TV recordings, work with the subtitles

etc
3 x

anto1032
Languages: Speaks: Danish, English
Learning: French

Postby anto1032 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 pm

Hello rdearman.
i can see that this is a bit old thread, but none of the less, i want to share my experience with finding the best suited language learning website for me. I stumbled over Llinko it is a website where you can discover foreign language learning sites based of what your native language is and what language you want to learn. And you can also give your gratitude towards a website by sharing a link such that other people can check it out.

Best Anton
0 x

michalszot
Languages: Polish, English

Postby michalszot » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:01 pm

I recommend https://vocabenricher.com/. It is free web app for learning vocabulary. This app bases on flashcards. You can create your own flashcards with audio recordings and images. Flashcards can be shared with other users. The app supports multiple languages such as English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, German, Arabic, Russian.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:29 pm

The idea is building a personal AI prompt for a pop-up app that avoids typing/clicking a repetitive command/commands and provides basic things like an explanation, example sentences and translations, additionally dealing with some problems currently studied like in this case subjunctive and relative clauses, all around the theme(s) dealt with in the text under study.

In the prompt three languages are involved.
The expression which Perplexity and You.Chat have to analyze in Spanish is the English sentence: Being a native speaker does not automatically make someone qualified to teach languages. The Spanish text is translated into German.

apps are

a)Leung's pop-up dictionary and Perplexity
b)Leung's pop-up dictionary and You.chat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is entered in the pop-up settings

https://www.perplexity.ai/?q=1.Da una explicación detallada de esta frase o expresión en español 2.Traduzca esta explicación detallada completamente al alemán.3.Da cinco oraciones de ejemplo en español que utilizan las palabras de la expresión.Traduzca las cinco oraciones de ejemplo al alemán. 4.Si la expresión contiene un verbo,también deseo que se formen tres oraciones en español en las que ese verbo esté en subjuntivo.5.Haga cinco oraciones de relativo diferentes con el material de palabras de la expresión,por ejemplo con diferentes preposiciones y oraciones de relativo necesarias y no necesarias.A continuación, traduzca estas oraciones de relativo al alemán:$$

The pop-up delivers this:
1. La expresión "Being a native speaker does not automatically make someone qualified to teach languages" significa que ser hablante nativo de un idioma no garantiza automáticamente que alguien esté calificado para enseñar ese idioma. Aunque ser hablante nativo puede ser una ventaja, la enseñanza de un idioma requiere habilidades y conocimientos adicionales, como la comprensión de la gramática, la capacidad de explicar conceptos complejos y la capacidad de adaptarse a diferentes estilos de aprendizaje.

2. Die Ausdrucksweise "Being a native speaker does not automatically make someone qualified to teach languages" bedeutet, dass das Muttersprachlersein einer Sprache nicht automatisch garantiert, dass jemand qualifiziert ist, diese Sprache zu unterrichten. Obwohl das Muttersprachlersein ein Vorteil sein kann, erfordert das Unterrichten einer Sprache zusätzliche Fähigkeiten und Kenntnisse, wie das Verständnis der Grammatik, die Fähigkeit, komplexe Konzepte zu erklären und die Fähigkeit, sich an verschiedene Lernstile anzupassen.

3. Ejemplos de oraciones en español:
- Ser hablante nativo de inglés no significa que puedas enseñar inglés a otros.
- Mi amigo es hablante nativo de francés, pero no está calificado para enseñar francés como lengua extranjera.
- Aunque soy hablante nativo de español, tuve que estudiar para obtener mi certificación de enseñanza de español.
- No todos los hablantes nativos de alemán son buenos maestros de alemán.
- La habilidad de enseñar un idioma no depende solo de ser hablante nativo.

3. Übersetzung der Beispielsätze ins Deutsche:
- Muttersprachler von Englisch zu sein, bedeutet nicht, dass man Englisch unterrichten kann.
- Mein Freund ist Muttersprachler von Französisch, aber er ist nicht qualifiziert, Französisch als Fremdsprache zu unterrichten.
- Obwohl ich Muttersprachler von Spanisch bin, musste ich studieren, um meine Spanischlehrzertifizierung zu erhalten.
- Nicht alle Muttersprachler von Deutsch sind gute Deutschlehrer.
- Die Fähigkeit, eine Sprache zu unterrichten, hängt nicht nur davon ab, Muttersprachler zu sein.

4. Ejemplos de oraciones en español con el verbo en subjuntivo:
- Es importante que los profesores de idiomas hablen con fluidez el idioma que enseñen.
- Sugiero que se contrate a alguien que tenga experiencia en la enseñanza de idiomas.
- Es necesario que los profesores de idiomas tengan paciencia con los estudiantes que están aprendiendo.

4. Übersetzung der Beispielsätze ins Deutsche:
- Es ist wichtig, dass Sprachlehrer die Sprache, die sie unterrichten, fließend sprechen.
- Ich schlage vor, dass jemand mit Erfahrung im Unterrichten von Sprachen eingestellt wird.
- Es ist notwendig, dass Sprachlehrer Geduld mit den Schülern haben, die gerade lernen.

5. Ejemplos de oraciones de relativo en español:
- La persona que enseña un idioma debe tener una comprensión profunda de la gramática.
- El estudiante para quien el inglés es su segunda lengua necesita más apoyo.
- La habilidad de adaptarse a diferentes estilos de aprendizaje es algo en lo que los buenos profesores de idiomas sobresalen.
- El programa en el que estoy inscrito se enfoca en la enseñanza de idiomas a través de la inmersión.
- La mayoría de los cursos de enseñanza de idiomas incluyen una sección sobre la cultura del país donde se habla el idioma.

5. Übersetzung der Beispielsätze ins Deutsche:
- Die Person, die eine Sprache unterrichtet, muss ein tiefes Verständnis für die Grammatik haben.
- Der Schüler, für den Englisch seine zweite Sprache ist, benötigt mehr Unterstützung.
- Die Fähigkeit, sich an verschiedene Lernstile anzupassen, ist etwas, in dem gute Sprachlehrer hervorstechen.
- Das Programm, in dem ich eingeschrieben bin, konzentriert sich auf das Unterrichten von Sprachen durch Immersion.
- Die meisten Sprachlehrkurse enthalten einen Abschnitt über die Kultur des Landes, in dem die Sprache gesprochen wird.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://you.com/search?q=1.Da+una+expli ... en+español 2.Traduzca+esta+explicación+detallada+completamente+al+alemán.3.Da+cinco+oraciones+de+ejemplo+en+ español+que+utilizan+las+palabras+de+la+expresión.Traduzca+las+cinco+oraciones+de+ejemplo+al+alemán. 4.Si+la+expresión+contiene+un+verbo,también+deseo+que+se+formen+tres+oraciones+en+español+en+las +que+ese+verbo+esté+en+subjuntivo.5.Haga+cinco+oraciones+de+relativo+diferentes+con+el+material+de+ palabras+de+la+expresión,por+ejemplo+con+diferentes+preposiciones+y+oraciones+de+relativo+necesarias+ y+no+necesarias.A+continuación,+traduzca+estas+oraciones+de+relativo+al+alemán:$$%3A:$$&tbm=youchat&fromSearchBar=true&cid=
2 x

Granrey
Yellow Belt
Languages: spanish, English

Postby Granrey » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:21 pm

I have used: duolingo, memrise paid version, lingodeer paid version and Golingo.

I tend to say Duo is the best as it is adictive and keeps you engaged with the gaming side of things.

Menrise, I'm a bit at odds as I think it gets you quick into the language in a good way and it has lots of potential but it has issues IMO with the lack repetition of the words in future lessons. You might learn a word in a lesson and never see it again in future lessons. So, the app relies on a revision tool which I don't like.

Lingodeer Grammar and phrases relate more IMO to real life conversations. The Grammar in lingodeer is very hard. However, I don't like they let you move along while getting bad marks. Opposite to Duo in which you have to have everything correct before you move along.

Golingo is the best to get your pronunciation right. However, most of the time I don't want to speak while studying.
1 x

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Postby Picaboo » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:35 pm

Trancy seems the most interesting from all I've seen. It's part Language Reactor, part ChatGPT integrated learning. I've only played around with it a short time.

The thing about it I like is you can drill listening. It will automatically parse and play a sentence from YouTube or Netflix or Udemy and then pause. You verify your hearing by typing it in (or by clicking on word blocks). Then it moves on to the next sentence in the video. You can also save the audio in favorites for later audio flashcards, with a single click.

There also some AI chat generators. Where you speak a dialogue with an AI.

https://www.trancy.org/
Their blurb:
"Trancy not only supports bilingual subtitles for YouTube/Netflix but also offers AI-powered translation for selected webpage content and full-text translation, allowing you to seamlessly convert content into personalized language learning materials."
3 x

Ouliff
Languages: English (native speaker)

Postby Ouliff » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:37 pm

Dimi wrote:Hi All,

I'm new here. I recently developed an goal/activity tracking Android app specifically designed for language learners like us. It's called Lingo Journal and you can find it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teraculus.lingojournalandroid

It will not teach you a language but it will help you stay motivated with daily or long-term goals. I use it for learning German. For example, I have a daily goals for reading a book (currently G.Orwell's "Animal Farm", highly recommended), a long-term goal for finishing the same book, and 2 other daily goals for listening and writing in German.

I can track all of my language learning activities and use the stat page to check if I'm getting lazy or not :D. Also the daily notification reminds me not to forget to track my activities and goals.

And in order to stay productive in language learning, I also use apps for to do list. With its help, I can set learning tasks for the day and allocate time for them.

I hope this app could be useful for you as well. Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on developing Lingo Journal! It sounds like a valuable tool for language learners, and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Your app seems well-designed to help users set and track language learning goals effectively. The ability to customize daily and long-term goals, along with tracking various language learning activities, is fantastic. The stat page sounds particularly useful for monitoring progress and staying motivated.

Thank you also for mentioning the productivity app you use for to-do lists. Combining task management with language learning goals is a smart approach to staying organized and focused.

I'll be sure to check out Lingo Journal in the Play Store, and I'm sure many others here will too. If I have any feedback or questions after trying out the app, I'll be sure to reach out.

Once again, congratulations on the launch of Lingo Journal, and thank you for contributing to the language learning community!
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”