Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Krashen and "Krashenite"

Postby Cainntear » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:44 am

TopDog_IK wrote:If you aren't aware of German grammar rules while watching reality TV shows, what does it matter? You will pick them up soon enough through pattern recognition.

Will you though? One of my main arguments against Krashen has always been the observation that not everyone does pick up the grammar naturally -- many immigrant learners immersed in the language daily make mistakes for their entire lives.

Let's talk about how computer vision machine-learning algorithms detect cats. If you try to tell a computer a bunch of "grammar" type rules about cats -- "They have pointy ears, fluffy fur, four legs, a long tail", the computer will fail miserably at distinguishing cats from other animals or objects.

It is a favourite game of many machine learning researchers to see how they can confuse image recognition with impossible synthetic images.

The fact that this can be done shows that the image recognition has not actually learned what a cat is.

And of course image recognition systems can't be fed in reverse and expected to output an image based on a description. Spontaneous product from exposure to examples does not occur in artificial neutral nets.

When we want to train an image generating algorithm (eg DALL-E) it needs constant feedback on what it's done wrong -- far more feedback than a teacher could ever give a student in a lifetime. We have to do better than that.

But if you train neural networks on 100,000 labeled photos of cats vs other animals and objects, these NNs can classify cats at roughly a human level, much, much better than traditional algorithms utilizing grammar-style "rules". See what I mean?

But that's because the AI doesn't understand the rules - it doesn't possess general intelligence or understanding of language, which means the rules have to be impossibly explicit.

When you immerse with a second language, you are literally training the neural networks in your brain to recognize grammar and other language patterns. That's how it works.

Except that just like a computer can see a cat in an image of random eyes and fur, a human can understand a sentence without having learned all the grammar.

This is how we get to the position where someone can do practically everything in a language but still struggles with basic verb conjugation -- they can understand the sentence without ever having to notice the verb endings, so they don't acquire them.
6 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:35 pm

TopDog_IK wrote:When you immerse with a second language, you are literally training the neural networks in your brain to recognize grammar and other language patterns. That's how it works.

Clearly that's not how it works when learning a foreign language, since no matter how much a person immerses (and I've done this on 4 languages in the country, I like immersion) quite a bit of grammar beyond very elementary grammar is not made clear at all.

To make some argument for not simply peeking into a grammar to straighten out minor problems along the way is just self-defeating rubbish.

Krashen's approach is a tool, not the entirety. No-one needs to turn this into a complicated pseudo-theory.
8 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:52 pm

TopDog_IK wrote:Boy, when you show up as a new person to this forum, you better be ready for battle. :shock: :lol:

If you come at the king you best not miss!
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:36 pm

A video posted here in a previous discussion with Olly Richards, the most interesting I have seen of Krashen.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 17&t=16113
0 x

TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2/C1)

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:21 am

I binged a few Krashen lectures this week and really cannot find much that I disagree with. He focuses very heavily on reading, as opposed to immersing with TV shows, but I really find myself in agreement with the vast majority of his ideas. The human brain is perfectly equipped to acquire grammar through immersion and pattern recognition.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:06 am

TopDog_IK wrote: The human brain is perfectly equipped to acquire grammar through immersion and pattern recognition.

The human brain is also perfectly equipped to misunderstand the patterns too. And it's also perfectly equipped to learn the patterns before and get more out of it later on. You've addressed neither of these points. Nor any of the other shortcomings of Krashen's arguments that have been mentioned in this thread.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:50 pm

The word "perfectly" is not a good word to use here. It assumes a sort of fallibility of operations we know the human brain doesn't have.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Am I alone in thinking that 'Krashenism' typically affects people in their intermediate stages of their first language? At least this is what I've noticed in my interaction with his advocates.
3 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:02 pm

einzelne wrote:Am I alone in thinking that 'Krashenism' typically affects people in their intermediate stages of their first language? At least this is what I've noticed in my interaction with his advocates.

Dunning-Kruger maybe? :lol:
2 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:55 pm

The normal brain masters these declension endings perfectly:
- s
- es
- 's
- s'

The food for the "Krashen brain":
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”