Krashen and "Krashenite"

General discussion about learning languages
lysi
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Mandarin (Beginner)

Re: Krashen and "Krashenite"

Postby lysi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:56 pm

Kraut wrote:https://geof950777899.wordpress.com/sla/krashen-5-a-summary-of-responses/

Krashen 5: Summary of Responses

by

Geoff Jordan Stuff

Interesting blog post. Most of the questions derive from Krashen's Monitor and Occam's Razar, it seems, which certainly is a good article but dated. Specifically on the Input hypothesis section, he never asks any questions about cases in which, despite presence in input, structures are not acquired. Krashen is right when he says that input can lead to acquisition, but the point is that he claims that ALL acquisition comes from input only. If you can show just one example of input not causing acquisition by itself, then you've proven him wrong, which has happened already multiple times. That's specifically why I mentioned the grammatical gender example. There's simply no need to acquire it. It's also what Swain talked about with comprehensible output, that is, that she observed in French Immersion classes in Canada that many children did not acquire forms and seemed to stagnate at the same level because that level sufficed to understand what teachers were saying, and only became aware of new forms that were already present in input when forced to write in French.

I'd like to point out this quote specifically:
2. Can we acquire from our own output?

*** Krashen’s Response: This is a theoretical possibility, but so far, we don’t know if it has actually happened or can happen. If a second language acquirer monitors and produces a spoken or written sentence that contains a rule that is at that acquirer’s i+1, and the acquirer understands what he or she has written, this sentence might be able serve as comprehensible input and help lead to the acquisition of that rule. If acquiring from your own output is possible, it would open the door to a bizarre kind of pedagogy: find out what is at each student’s i+1 and set up production activities that require the use of the target rule. Of course, this “new” pedagogy would look a lot like traditional instruction. One could argue that traditional instruction, however, failed to produce real acquired competence because we didn’t know what each student’s i+1 was, and because we just didn’t demand enough output. Even if “acquire from your own output” could be shown to work, I suspect that most people would far prefer to get fresh input from others, with interesting messages, rather than constantly recycle their own production.

This is one of the internal inconsistencies in Krashen's theories. Even if you accept what Krashen's theories say as 100% true and believe that explicit knowledge can never become implicit knowledge, his theories actually allow for it, since, as Krashen himself describes above, explicit knowledge can be used in production, and then observed for "i+1" and then acquired through his input hypothesis, so explicit knowledge becoming implicit. It's absurd, and it's an easy point to criticize him on. I avoided bringing it up since it's a pretty superficial argument, it doesn't bring you anywhere to discuss it.

Here's another one:
2. You say that “a strictly linear view of the natural order hypothesis, that there is only one stream of progress that acquirers follow in strict sequence” is incorrect. Rather, “several streams of development are taking place at the same time” (1982:53-4). But you give no explanation of what a “stream of development” could be, or set any limit on the number of such “streams”.

*** Krashen’s Response: How on earth could I set a limit on the number of streams? I suggested that there may be streams. Are you insisting that all suggestions, all conjectures, all hypotheses come with precise details, overwhelming supporting evidence, and refutations to all possible counterexamples?

I actually brought up his stream of development quote in my first reply. Krashen missed the point of what Gregg originally said. Here's what Gregg was talking about in full when he brought up the several streams of development:

In fact Krashen seems to recognize this, again in a footnote, when he says that 'a strictly linear view of the natural order hypothesis, that there is only one stream of progress that acquirers follow in strict sequence' is incorrect. Rather, 'several streams of development are taking place at the same time' (1982:53-4)."What this is supposed to mean is hard to say, as Krashen gives us no explanation of what a 'stream of development could be, nor does he set any limit on the number of such 'streams'. One definite consequence of allowing more than one 'natural order', however, is to vitiate the Natural Order Hypothesis. If the structures of, say, English are divided into varying numbers of ordered sets, the number of sets varying according to the individual, then it makes little sense to talk about a 'natural order*. If the number of sets varies from individual to individual, then the membership of any given set will also vary, which makes it very difficult to compare individuals, especially since the content of these sets is virtually completely unknown. If the set of sets of structures is claimed to be invariant across individuals—that is, if it is claimed that there is one (unknown) fixed number of streams of developments— the problem of comparability would be removed, but the problem of empirical support for the hypothesis remains; in fact it becomes even greater.

The entire point was that the Natural Order hypothesis has no evidence for it, and that empirical support becomes impossible when you have possibly infinite streams of development. It means that there's no natural order at all, but Krashen can continue to use the Natural Order hypothesis to justify whatever lack of acquisition he wants. After all, if -s wasn't acquired, it just wasn't ready to be acquired yet, since something else before it needed to be acquired still. Again, though, his evidence has never been very strong, and I posted that explanation for the natural order in my first post so he really has nothing to stand on here. What's most shocking is that he continues to support it.

But then the author actually directly quotes Gregg in the question!

4. If the set of sets of structures is claimed to be invariant across individual – that is, if it is claimed that there is one (unknown) fixed number of ‘streams of development’ – the problem of comparability would be removed, but the problem of empirical support for the hypothesis remains; in fact it becomes even greater.

*** Krashen’s Response: The “problem of empirical support” is not a problem. It is an invitation to do research.

The exact same wording as Gregg in the quote above. Krashen misses the point entirely. The amount of research that would be required to do in order to empirically verify Krashen's streams of development would be impossible. You'd have to go through every single one of the structures in English and test to see if it can be acquired after another structure, and then for the structures that it was acquired after, you'd have to test every single structure for each one of them. That'd be an absurd amount of possible permutations. He's inviting people to empirically test something which is empirically testable, yes, but in practice impossible.

*** Krashen’s Response: If we find that i+1 is reasonably similar for everybody at stage i. this would be strong support for the natural order hypothesis.

A very puzzling response. What exactly is stage i in his view here? The entire set of structures that has been already acquired, accounting for multiple streams, or any stream having acquired a particular feature, that feature being the stage i? The lack of empirical support still exists.

The author holds the view that there is no way to test implicit and explicit knowledge and that they're not empirically testable. This is a very old critique of Krashen and it's wrong. We do know now that implicit and explicit knowledge are separate systems, and they can be empirically tested.

As for the efficacy of explanation and feedback, please see Explorations (2004), and the work of Truscott on error correction (and on grammar instruction in general). I have provided explanations for all published cases of where it is claimed that conscious learning of rules seems to work. And the explanations are consistent with the constraints on the conscious Monitor.

I think this is worthwhile to touch on as well. His criticisms of studies testing the effectiveness of grammar instruction are valid, or rather, were valid. This is one of the problems with the Norris and Ortega 2000 study, the actual measures of implicit and explicit knowledge weren't very well defined. That doesn't mean that the field hasn't advanced since. Rod Ellis did a study on the various empirical and implicit knowledge tests that were used (at the time), and the battery he proposed for measuring linguistic knowledge has been used since for validation studies. This isn't free from criticism however, particularly, the implicit knowledge measurement, but the criticism is mainly that the elicited imitation test might test automatized explicit knowledge. The critics do seem to be in the minority but they have a point. It's an ongoing topic of research. Kim and Godfroid (the same Kim who's dissertation I cited earlier) are currently working on a research synthesis for implicit, automatized explicit, and explicit knowledge, and specifically the measures of them, and they're going over 9 previously used measures and evaluating them. It's actually currently in the works. Interesting stuff, we'll see how it turns out, but she used the findings on that research synthesis to design the implicit and explicit measures for her dissertation, which, again, found that explicit and implicit knowledge both influence each other. I keep mentioning this study because it really is quite amazing. Kim is one of my favourite researchers and she's already contributed a lot to SLA research.

Iversen wrote:PS to Cainntear: there are no nasal vowels in Danish, but I have never had problems distinguishing them in French or Portuguese, so the mere fact that certain sounds aren't represented in your native language doesn't necessarily mean that they will cause you trouble in a target language. And if they do, then the cure is to listen closely to minimal pairs without too much surrounding babble, maybe in combination with some facts regarding mouth positions (though hardcore Krashenites would presumable frown at both propositions).[/color]

Cainntear was right about how -s can be difficult to hear, because when combined with certain consonants in a syllable coda, they have an affricate-like realization, which is less salient since it's less "sonorous". Nasal vowels on the other hand, are more sonorous, at least, according to the natural order explanation article. They give affricates a 2 and nasals a 4. So it's not only due to a lack of the sound in your native language, but rather, the sound itself. Though, both of them are quite low (the scale is out of 9). It's hard to say.

Cainntear wrote:-ed may not be fully redundant, but it's a non-syllabic bound morpheme, and it creates a consonant cluster that doesn't exist in a great many languages. It is not something the non-native ear can pick out, so it's not something that will be learned from exposure.

It isn't redundant typically, but it can be. Look at a sentence like "Yesterday, I walked home". The -ed is redundant when the past is already specified, so there's no need to look for another cue to see about what time they're referring to. -ed is, if I recall, pretty early on the order of acquisition for morphemes naturally so it's not actually that hard to acquire, I guess.
3 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 am

Le Baron wrote:I'll confirm to put your mind to rest

If anyone can play then "put your mind at rest" :-)
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:12 am

dampingwire wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I'll confirm to put your mind to rest

If anyone can play then "put your mind at rest" :-)

Can you put things at rest? Being at rest is an already-existing state. No action is necessary.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Postby sirgregory » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:29 am

Regarding the value of academic literature, I would not say that it's useless, but my impression is that most successful polyglots and language learners start out by looking at the ideas and experiences of others and then develop their own methods over time through self-experimentation. It seems people like to claim their methods are "based on science," and Krashen is the only guy anybody's ever heard of so they invoke him. Personally, I'm fine with relying on a practical, heuristic approach. Indeed, that is exactly what is done in most domains (boxing and pole-vaulting for example). Rosetta Stone stresses in their ad copy that their methods are based on science and research. And I'm sure they have a bunch of citations. Yet among polyglots not many people use it. Academic research I think is most useful for generating ideas that might be worth trying out. Things that prove useful like SRS I think will eventually get picked up and developed by practitioners.

ma_drane wrote:More and more people seem to welcome the use of input-based techniques, however it seems like this trend isn't happening here (quite the opposite actually).

Is there anyone who actually says not to get "input"? i.e., exposure to the language? There's no question that hearing lots of authentic native speech is essential if you want to get really fluent. I think it's even fine to do a bit of it at the beginner stage (especially if you have a transcript plus audio). But I think it makes more sense to focus on the basics first and then move on to native materials and conversational practice in the intermediate stage.

Do you also disagree with the idea that input creates output abilities by itself?

Not sure. I don't think speaking is necessary at the beginner stage. But beyond that level I think most people will learn significantly faster with speaking than they will with purely passive methods. This is because you get stuck frequently as you struggle to recall words. If you get stuck on something and learn how to say it, you usually will remember it pretty well. After a couple months you get stuck less and less. Passive methods won't push you in the same way.

One of the arguments for very delayed speaking is that you will supposedly end up with superior pronunciation and grammar (less language transfer). I don't know if that's really true but I would be surprised if it provided a significant advantage. It's true that if you speak early, you will use lots of inelegant and incorrect phrasing. But you're presumably well aware of this and you improve over time as you learn better ways to say things. Pronunciation also seems like something people can improve with practice and study. I don't think speaking at one month with permanently ruin you.
2 x

lysi
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Mandarin (Beginner)

Postby lysi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:02 am

sirgregory wrote:It seems people like to claim their methods are "based on science," and Krashen is the only guy anybody's ever heard of so they invoke him. Personally, I'm fine with relying on a practical, heuristic approach. Indeed, that is exactly what is done in most domains (boxing and pole-vaulting for example). Rosetta Stone stresses in their ad copy that their methods are based on science and research. And I'm sure they have a bunch of citations.

Duolingo is another example of this; they have one citation from a commissioned study that was favorable towards them (the "duolingo is more effective than college" study). There was a fairly recent (2019) study on Duolingo with the Turkish course, and they found that:
Most notably, however, even after 34 hours of study, only one participant received a score that would be considered a passing grade in the university’s first semester Turkish course. These results call into question Vesselinov and Grego’s (2012) claims regarding Duolingo’s efficacy

You mentioning Rosetta Stone reminded me of a good example of the high turnover rate with language learning. There was study by Nielson (2011) on the use of proprietary (so courses like Rosetta Stone in this case) language courses by the US government. They do have FSI and DLI and all but plenty of agencies lack in-house training. Really, the questions the study was intending to answer weren't very interesting, like if Rosetta Stone was an appropriate self study course (no) or if Rosetta Stone was equally as good for Spanish, Mandarin, and Arabic (probably). The study had 150 participants in the US government who came of their own accord to a notice that was posted and agreed to do 10 hours per week. This is what they found:

The most striking finding of both P1 and P2 was severe attrition in participation. Despite initial participant interest as well as active researcher involvement and encouragement, participants in both phases of the study spent very little time using the CALL materials before stopping completely, if they used the materials at all. In fact, many participants never managed to access the software—51% (n = 77) of the P1 participants and 41% (n = 73) of the P2 participants never logged in to their accounts. Only one participant in P1 and four participants in P2 completed the full study protocol. Tables 1 and 2 provide participation records.

For P1: By the 10 hour usage mark, they had already lost 80% of their participants. By the 100 hour mark, only 4% remained out of the total. By the 200 hour mark, they had but one participant, 0.6% of their original total.

Really interesting stuff. Duolingo has a base of like 500 million users, and only 42 million are active. That's 8.3%. The turnover rate is totally higher since the active users consist of new users who'll soon quit (at least, a portion of them), so it can't just be accepted at face value. Even all that gamification and popup notifications don't bring you that far.
9 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:05 am

Iversen wrote:PS to Cainntear: there are no nasal vowels in Danish, but I have never had problems distinguishing them in French or Portuguese, so the mere fact that certain sounds aren't represented in your native language doesn't necessarily mean that they will cause you trouble in a target language. And if they do, then the cure is to listen closely to minimal pairs without too much surrounding babble, maybe in combination with some facts regarding mouth positions (though hardcore Krashenites would presumable frown at both propositions).

Yes, but equally, "I didn't have a problem distinguishing feature X" doesn't prove the general case of "I wouldn't have a problem distinguishing any feature," or "No-one has a problem distinguishing feature X," and definitely not "No-one has a problem distinguishing any feature."

Krashen is the one claiming universality, and a statement of universality is disproven by one counter-example. My disproof doesn't need to be a universal truth, because I'm not claiming a universal law, so a single counterexample shows nothing.

Besides, these non-syllable morphemes are widely known and recognised to be a problem for English learners. I've had a lot of students from Spain in particular who drop their endings in writing and are upset because they know they used to write it, and my experience is that it always arises from pronunciation. If they can't pronounce it themselves, it disappears, and it's very common for learners to drop the suffix -s or -ed in certain consonant clusters the learner has problems with, and retain it in easier clusters. Most students don't notice this pattern for themselves and come to me confused because they think that their errors are random.
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:38 am

I agree that there are phonological problems (in pronunciation as well as listening) which are caused by the learners' inability to pick up sounds that aren't present in their native tongues, but it is worth stressing that this isn't a universal rule, and there are ways to remedy that problem.

The big question is: how do learners discover that they have a problem and proceed to solve it? If they have a good teacher or mentor they may get a correction that is precise enough to tell them how to correct the problem - and not just the ususal "don't say it like psttt, say fsttt". In contrast, home learners may only discover the problem when they try to communicate with native speakers unless somebody wrote about the problem in the phonological part of a grammar or on a forum like this. But hey, Krashen doesn't like grammars so ....

Which makes me think about how on Earth small children manage to learn complicated morphological patterns - like for instance the declination of nouns and adjectives in Slovenian, which beyond a long row of cases also operates with a dual, three genders and several inflection patterns and to boot has lots of endings that occur in several unpredictable positions in the tables. How can they learn that monster of a system just from listening to their friends and family? My hunch is that they don't study inflection tables, but learn isolated patterns one by one over a very long time. Which means lots of input and automatization at the micro level rather than the macro level where you find the complete tables. And basically Krashen would love us to learn languages like that.

But the tables are there for a reason: they can help you to point out what to look or listen for so that you can cut down on the repetitions. They can suggest solutions on the spot so that you don't have to search for examples. And when you have looked a certain ending up several times you also get the kind of repetition that is alpha and omega in this situation. The point is: if you look one ending up at any one time then you are still at the micro level, and presumably you have a sentence in front of you where that ending is used, or you want to use the form (given as a specific position in the table) and that's why you look it up. Having a concrete reason a conducive to efficient learning. But having a complete table also helps you to get an overview, for instance over all the locations where a certain ending occurs - you can't get that just by relying in input.

That being said, I have however one serious complaint against almost all grammar books. In some languages (like Latin or Modern Greek) adjectives have endings that resembles those of the substantives, but not so in for instance the Slavic languages. Here you may even find endings that belong to different positions for adjectives and substantives, and then it doesn't help that they are shown separately. And that's a mess. In my green sheets I take care to show articles, adjectives and substantives on one single sheet so that I can learn sets of endings rather than three separate endings. I suspect that the excellent pattern recognition skills of kids relies on absorbing combinations of endings from combos with both articles (if used), adjectives and substantives, and it would be nice if grammar authors would learn from that.
3 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 am

ma_drane wrote:...
My general impression was that his theories were overall well accepted by the language learning community, especially on Reddit and Youtube since the "massive-input" sub-communauty is expanding rapidly, thanks to Matt VS Japan and Steve Kaufmann among others. More and more people seem to welcome the use of input-based techniques, however it seems like this trend isn't happening here (quite the opposite actually).

I am not really that interested in the research litterature. However I've been greatly influenced by Steve Kaufmann, and the massive input approach has been beneficial for me, because I was a too intellectual learner. I used to believe that I could learn a language by reading through a textbook and maybe do some exercises. That didn't work, because a lot of listening is essential - in that way the new language becomes automatic, and it's easier to remember a word that I have heard.

I think you need a good balance. Textbooks, reading, listening, exercises. Only input is not sufficient.
9 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Iversen wrote:Which makes me think about how on Earth small children manage to learn complicated morphological patterns...My hunch is that they don't study inflection tables, but learn isolated patterns one by one over a very long time.

I think that much is self-evident.

But the important point to remember is that infants don't have any preconceived notions or prior experience. All human thinking and behaviour is based on interpreting input based on prior experience.

This leads to the so-called filter of perception. For instance, while we might receive speech as a continuous variable sound wave, we perceive it as a sequence of phonemes. The process of perception removes what the brain identifies as extraneous detail automatically. If that information is discarded by the brain unconsciously, how will we ever start to incorporate that into our language model if it doesn't reach the brain to begin with?

This is how we deal with different accents and dialects, after all: we learn to map what's coming in to our own internal language model -- we don't modify our internal model to match every new speaker we come across.
4 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:55 pm

So, I've seen Krashen mentioned a bunch but I don't know anything about him. "Lots of input good" is pretty uncontroversial and I can't think of anyone on this forum who would say "lots of input bad". So, I'm not sure exactly what he's said that is controversial. Does he advocate an input-only regimen, meaning that he discourages speaking or writing drills? That would definitely not be something I would agree with, although seeing as I don't have a PhD in linguistics or education (or in anything, to be fair) I can't make an academic response against it.

Am I correct that this is what makes him controversial, and if so, could someone point me to a quote of him advocating against production?
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “General Language Discussion”