French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Redefining Pre-Indo-European Language Families of Bronze Age Western Europe

Postby Kraut » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:38 am

I have copied this from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndoEuropean/c ... zib_khans/

David Anthony recently went on Razib Khan’s podcast and very politely called the Heggarty paper bunk. Transcript inside:

David Anthony:

“Well, I think that's I think that's a legitimate comment. They seem weird for linguistic data. I was at a Indo European Conference at UCLA last November, UCLA has an annual Indo European conference, and I was a speaker there last November, and Russell Gray //Heggarty's co-author// was a speaker there. And so I heard an hour long presentation of this New Science paper last November and, and I got to also spend two days listening to the discussions of the linguist who were there, quite a variety of indo European linguists came to the conference, I didn't hear anybody who was convinced by the dating, they were all impressed by the methodology. But they thought that it yielded really strange dates for the origins of the Indo European languages and for the splits between the different branches, the daughter branches, in Indo European, I thought the same thing. One of the things that you have to do in order to accept their chronology is to discard what's called linguistic paleontology, which they do explicitly in their supplementary materials. And they say that you can't attach, you can't find the meaning of any reconstructed word in any proto Indo European. Now, since I was a graduate student, one of the things that attracted me to this subject and I'm an archaeologist, I'm not a geneticists, I'm not a linguist. But one of the things that attracted me to this subject matter is the reconstruction of proto Indo European with its meanings, which give you a window, a veritable window, into the minds, conceptions and beliefs of an entirely prehistoric society, otherwise known only through archaeology because they had no writing. And so their language has been reconstructed through the comparative method. And I thought, wow, here's here's this word list. It's mainly the words that I'm interested in. That tells me what these people were talking about, and then included things like wheeled vehicles, which didn't exist before 3500 BCE. So proto indo European had to be dated after 3500 BCE, because they had a rich vocabulary for wheeled vehicles, at least a semantic field of at least five terms probably more like eight and most linguist accept that you can take the proto Indo European, root kʷékʷlos, and and say that meant wheel vehicle it means it's daughters, the daughters of that word, mean wheel or wheel vehicle in the daughter language. It’s the same with axle and a list of other words referring to wheeled vehicles. But in the Heggarty paper, they say you can't do that, that that you will never know what the meaning of a reconstructed Indo European word was, other than something very vague, like ‘the thing that turns’ But most linguists don't buy that. And all of the references they gave to critics of linguistic paleontology, all of the references were from articles that are more than 25 years old. They didn't, I think there was one reference to somebody who was in this century. And, and, for instance, the word kʷékʷlos has a Reduplicated part, the K is duplicated, in kʷékʷlos, is duplicated. And it's sort of like it for you took the verb, turn, the turning thing, and you wanted to make a word for wheel out of it. And instead of saying the turner, or you said, the ‘turnter’ and you duplicated that T, that's a very specific thing. All of the roots that are in daughter languages have that little trick in them and that's not going to be independently invented by the daughters after they've broken up without any contact with each other. And that's what he's proposing happened with kʷékʷlos. It's, it's I just don't see how such a rich body of evidence can be discarded. And if you use the wheel vehicle vocabulary in the Indo European it dates at least the late phase of proto indo European to after 3500 BCE, the Anatolian languages which split off in the earliest split, that split might have happened before wheel vehicles were invented because the Anatolian languages don't have that vocabulary. There's a recent paper by Don Ringe, also that's talking about computational phylogenetic linguistics, and he was one of the first people to try to do that. And he pointed out that the results, particularly the ages, the numbers are not robust. They have very large uncertainty margins on and with a very small change in methodology, you can produce dramatic changes in the ages. And consequently, the results are not, you can't set them in stone. So I have a hard time accepting the new paper. There's a there's a new response that is just coming out on the internet now by Alexei Kassian, who's also a computational phylogenetic linguist. And he he's already written a response to it. And he's quite critical. So I don't see it as a as a definitive statement by any means.”

“Yeah, so I agree completely on the subject of Tocharian. Yeah, they have Tocharian splitting off at 5000 BCE. And there's nothing happening in the Altai or anywhere out there at 5000 BC they're all hunters and gatherers. And nothing new is introduced at that at that point. So there was no archaeology to go along with that date. And generally throughout the paper, they ignore archaeology. They just ignore it, there's no archaeological explanation for how and when the splits happened. And conversely, the biggest demographic event in the last 5000 years in a Eurasian genetic and demographic history was the expansion of steppe ancestry around 3000 BC between 3000-2000 BC and that's just a fact. And, according to their version of things, the Indo European languages were already completely diversified by them, I mean, Baltic. Balto Slavic had split off from the ancestor of Germanic, Celtic, and Italic by 4500 BC 1000 years before the expansion of steppe ancestry. So in their system, although they call it a hybrid hypothesis, it doesn't really include the Yamnaya expansion at all everything happens before the Yamnaya expansion and therefore, the Yamnaya expansion which had this big demographic event had no effect linguistically. So, the linguistic changes that they do have are not correlated with any archaeological phenomenon. And the archaeological and genetic phenomena that we do have indicating a big change are supposedly happened without any linguistic effect and that disassociation is really difficult for me to accept. “

FYI it’s a great listen if you have the subscription to listen, if not it’ll Be for free on Spotify in a couple of months I think. Essentially Anthony confirms that the Yamnaya were the proto indo Europeans and that the Mykop people moving from northern Mesopotamia into the caucus and intermingling with the Steppe people is what kicked off the Yamnaya horizon. The dna timeline matches the archeological and linguistic timeline. The mykop people were proven to trade with Uruk and the settled civilization of the time, so theoretically these people might have brought superior technology or knowledge (?) to the steppe and this synthesis led to the expansion.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:39 pm

Here is a talk of two indo-Europeanists about the Heggarty paper dicussing their doubts. You can skip the first 18 minutes.

Indo-European News 9/2023 (with Prof. Tony Yates)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvw1f5fJAg
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:03 pm

The Indo-European Puzzle

A collection of essays summing up the latest consent on the steppe model. It appeared two months before the Heggarty paper.

The Indo-European Puzzle Revisited
Integrating Archaeology, Genetics,
and Linguistics

The Indo-European dispersal has puzzled scholars for centuries. When in prehistory did this dramatic linguistic shift take place and from where? What were the main driving forces? This books provides the newest insights from linguistics, archaeology and genetics on the prehistoric spread of one of the world's largest language families.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/in ... 0925ADFE29
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:02 pm

A Hybrid Origin Model for the Indo-European Languages? My Thoughts on Heggarty et al 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGLQKtQG1s

lovely, just when the holy trinity of P.I.E that being archaeology, linguistics and genetics begins to really gain momentum supporting the steppe hypothesis concerning the origin of IE, someone has to go and throw a spanner in the works.

Fortunately, the spanner disintegrated upon impact.

In this video I go over a few of my reservations concerning Heggarty et al hybrid model.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvw1f5fJAg&t=0s

in the comment section
@cemreomerayna463
I want to add my opinions on this issue as an AI researcher and amateur linguist. The paper applied a very wrong tool to the wrong subject; they collected a set of core vocabulary from a variety of IE languages and applied Bayesian analysis to make an estimation for the earliest date for the common IE tongue. The problem with this type of analysis is that vocabulary change doesn't occur in a probabilistic manner, but rather via very direct and certain causes such as political and cultural domination, linguistic contact, technical borrowing, etc., none of which was accounted for in the study. Mr. Crawford was very right in using the word "neo-glottochronology" for their method, the researchers basically abused the lack of knowledge of the linguists and archaeologists on statistics. The biggest red flag for me was the Indo-Iranian group since most of the knowledge I have is on Indo-Iranian linguistics. The proposed migration route for the Indo-Iranian branch in the paper does not coincide either with the linguistic landscape of Mesopotamia and Iran or the archaeological evidence. We do not see any evidence for the presence of an Indo-European language as a native language until the Iranian speakers arrive. The languages such as Elamite, Hurrian, Akkadian, etc. show no mark for any contact with the supposedly Indo-European languages that should have been present in that region at that time according to the paper; Indo-Iranian, or Armenian. The only available Indo-Iranian adstratum found in one Mitanni text is very specific to horsery terms and personal names, which seems to have resulted from an incursion of Indo-Iranian speakers from outside bringing technical terms and actually gives great evidence on the lifestyle of the donors of these terms, coinciding with steppe pastoralism. On the other hand, we have solid archaeological and genetic evidence for a migration route from the northeast of the Caspian Sea towards northwest India around the 15th century BC, and then Khorasan and Iran around the 10th century BC. Moreover, the model fails to account for Proto-Indo-Iranian's contact with Proto-Balto-Slavic and Proto-Uralic.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:08 pm

Kraut wrote:A Hybrid Origin Model for the Indo-European Languages? My Thoughts on Heggarty et al 2023.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGLQKtQG1s

I have now listened to this video and basically find that it reflects my own impressions. What strikes me is the utter stupidity of some of the comments, like this one: "Lol... you don't like the paper because it does not confirm to your biases? lol". No, the LearnHittite guy didn't like the paper because it patently disregarded archeology and genetics and relied on shaky linguistic data (a fair spread of sources, but all evalution done by one person - and too few sample words, like 39 for Minoan Greek). Another comment suggested that there was something like an attempt to disregard any reference to an origin for IE in Anatolia because it is part of modern Turkey (or Türkiye). That comment may reflect how its author reasons, but it doesn't show any kind of scientific awareness.

Heaven knows where the Pontic steppes got their language from, but it's unimportant if it just happened long before the expansion around 2800 BC. And anyway, to the best of my (limited) knowledge no theory about that question is supported by any kind of hard facts. On the other hand there has been a theory that the Indoeuropean in Europa actually came with agriculturalists from Anatolia over a much longer (and earlier) timespan, but that theory went out of favor because there really wasn't any reason why the Indoeuropean languages should have been present in most of Europe before the Yamnaya invasion, whereas things would link nicely up if the two things were connected.

I'm right now listening to the other Youtube video with the two speakers, and they have just mentioned that Minoan Greek and Sanskrit looked very close to each other. The one language they didn't mention in this connection was Hittite, and that makes sense if the ancestor of Hittite and Luwian split of at an earlier stage than the twopronged East-West expansion that emmanated from the Pontic steppes. Or in other words: did the Asian IE languages stem from the Pontic steppes, or is there any connection to Hittite? I don't know - except that the Hittite state blossomed far too late to be relevant. Anyway, so far I don't see much evidence for an early linguistic spread from Anatolia to Europe. I do however believe that several pre-IE languages in Europa may have come from the near Orient (maybe Anatolia), but that only counts as guesswork.

I still think the real problem is whether the Baltoslavic branch of IE came with the R1a1 bearers, and how the Urnengrab culture could cover areas populated both by R1a1s and R1B1s. The split between those two groups really shows that a 'hybrid' model might be called for, but not one that involved Anatolia. Which kind of language did the Urnengräbers speak??

And I'm also vaguely worried by the problems with Albanian and the Satem-Centum division, and I would really like to know what languages are encoded as Minoan Linear -A and Mohenjo-Darian writing. But so far the only serious theory about IE in Europe AND Central Asia (!) for me seems to be an R1B1 invasion from the Pontic steppes, combined with a sidebranch done by R1A1-ans that ended up in Eastern Europe - but these people probably also spoke a closely kind of Proto-IE.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:56 pm

https://www.razibkhan.com/p/facing-fact ... ue&r=9m3xa

Facing Facts, even fraught ones: the quest for proto-Indo-Europeans in 2023
How genetics illuminates the rise of Eurasian steppe pastoralism

This is great reading, but the part on genetics suggested in the subtitle is behind pay-wall.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:03 pm

If it's behind a paywall then it could just as well not exist
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Iversen wrote:If it's behind a paywall then it could just as well not exist

The teaser part is still worth reading.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:15 pm

University of Vienna Faculty of Life Sciences

The Southern Arc and its lively genetic History
https://lifesciences.univie.ac.at/news- ... c-history/
A large-scale paleogenetic study of ancient populations from cultures and civilizations from western Asia and Southern Europe from the early Copper Age until the late middle ages reveals insights on migration patterns, genetics and interactions between the earliest farmer groups, and the origins and spread of Indo-European languages.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”