r/languagelearning: What are some hard truths that every language learner should know?

General discussion about learning languages
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

r/languagelearning: What are some hard truths that every language learner should know?

Postby Kraut » Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... _language/
2 x

thelazyoxymoron
White Belt
Languages: Hindi (N), English (advanced), French (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16825

Re: r/languagelearning: What are some hard truths that every language learner should know?

Postby thelazyoxymoron » Wed May 19, 2021 5:30 am

My favorite:
thisbelletrist wrote:Don't expect native speakers to start shedding tears of joy because you can speak the language.
7 x
Personal blog

Harry Potter - Book 1: 3 / 17
Assimil French with ease: 40 / 100

antstronaut
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Hungarian A0. Dabbling in Italian and Catalan

Re: r/languagelearning: What are some hard truths that every language learner should know?

Postby antstronaut » Thu May 20, 2021 6:26 pm

I can't stress this enough
goltoof wrote:I had a guy show up to our language group who said he's been studying for 20 years. He probably spoke 5 words. There's another guy who's been studying for 3 years whose light years ahead of others who've been studying for more than 5. Since then hearing someone say how long they've been studying means precisely dick.
11 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Postby Sonjaconjota » Fri May 21, 2021 3:23 pm

For me personally it's probably: "Some things just need time to sink in". I can't force my brain to understand or remember certain things if it's not ready.
For others maybe: "Duolingo is a game, not a language learning resource". That's what I sometimes want to tell some people on the internet.
6 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 pm

There's this heated discussion on /r/languagelearningjerk but the gist of it is: even if you're C2 you still suck by objective native standards. (I disagree with the other point being made, namely that you can't read books even after a year of study, something that's been patently proven false by like half the people on here.)
Last edited by mokibao on Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri May 21, 2021 6:39 pm

"Oh, you want to learn French? You see those letters? Yeah, you won't be pronouncing half of those."

On a slightly more serious note - I'd advise people be cautious of claims on products in terms of level you can achieve from that product alone.
5 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri May 21, 2021 7:38 pm

mokibao wrote:There's this heated discussion on /r/languagelearningjerk but the gist of it is: even if you're C2 you still suck by objective native standards.

I'd broadly agree with this. One of the main methods of disguise is developing an 'authentic' accent. At that point everyone who is easily-led seems to think the person in question is 'practically native'.

The OP in that thread is right. There's so much pseudo-scientific claptrap all over the internet right now. People spreading nonsense about new methods and super-fast ways to learn. They reel in the gullible fools.
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 am

I will be hard work... After all my struggles with Polish, French, and Italian, I am not inclined to advise anyone to jump into learning a foreign language... I will be hard work and no fun at all till getting to B2 level of skills.... After that, if they make it, the path is open... How many are willing to give a couple+ years to such a tough hobby in these days of instantaneous gratification? What is the payoff? Better be good!
10 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Mon May 24, 2021 8:59 pm

That was an interesting thread! Personally I enjoy the beginning where it's like knowing magic and seems like learning is very fast; but the intermediate stage is indeed daunting and requires determination and/or stubbornness. I only am hoping that maybe someday I'll get past that stage <sigh>.

One comment on accents - I think striving to be accent-free might not be a good goal. When I hear south asians or british actors/actresses with quasi-perfect standard american accents, it's very grating; there's a flat, artificial quality to it. More-or-less mild accents I notice and then let go. I guess this might be true in reverse.
7 x

basica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Serbian (A2ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?&t=7335

Postby basica » Thu May 27, 2021 5:01 am

mokibao wrote:There's this heated discussion on /r/languagelearningjerk but the gist of it is: even if you're C2 you still suck by objective native standards. (I disagree with the other point being made, namely that you can't read books even after a year of study, something that's been patently proven false by like half the people on here.)

I mean, it depends on how judgemental you are I suppose :)

I think if you develop a good accent, most people will definitely not think you suck at a c2 level. They will probably feel like they can speak freely without having to concern themselves about speaking over the listeners head.
1 x
Glossika Fluency 1: 16 / 104

Learning or already speak Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian? Join us here! :)

Return to “General Language Discussion”