France and Germany call to phase out English as EU’s working language (Prima Aprilis)

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: France and Germany call to phase out English as EU’s working language (Prima Aprilis)

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Raconteur wrote:
EGP wrote:would it be possible to say that the UK is outside of Europe? Therefore not a European language anymore? I don't know how, but maybe call it a detached Atlantic state?
They can have a referendum every 6 months, but I don't think they can vote their way out of geography. :lol:

Well... if you want to talk about geography Europe doesn't exist. There is only the Eurasia Continental Plate and most of the people on the Eurasia plate speak Mandarin, or Hindi.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Re: France and Germany call to phase out English as EU’s working language (Prima Aprilis)

Postby lowsocks » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:02 am

rdearman wrote:Well... if you want to talk about geography Europe doesn't exist. There is only the Eurasia Continental Plate and most of the people on the Eurasia plate speak Mandarin, or Hindi.
Well, technically, the Indian subcontinent is not part of the Eurasian Plate. So Hindi would not be on the list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Plate
3 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

EGP
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Macedonian (B2), German (A1)

Postby EGP » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:39 am

This discussion reminds me of:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
3 x
I research English grammar and vocabulary in corpora.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:16 am

lowsocks wrote:
rdearman wrote:Well... if you want to talk about geography Europe doesn't exist. There is only the Eurasia Continental Plate and most of the people on the Eurasia plate speak Mandarin, or Hindi.
Well, technically, the Indian subcontinent is not part of the Eurasian Plate. So Hindi would not be on the list:

Ok then we agree that Mandarin and Russian should be the official languages of the EU.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 am

rdearman wrote:
lowsocks wrote:

Ok then we agree that Mandarin and Russian should be the official languages of the EU.

I say we make Wenzhounese as the official language of the EU, just for fun. Or maybe, since I've already advocated for Esperanto, Ithkuil, which surpasses even Esperanto in neutrality, as it's difficult/impossible for everybody (even its creator doesn't speak it fluently).
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm

rdearman wrote:Ok then we agree that Mandarin and Russian should be the official languages of the EU.

At least with this the different EU countries can have an excuse for not listening to one another.

EU citizen 1: а ты говоришь по русски?

EU citizen 2: 什么? 我无法理解你。 [对他的同伴]:这些法国人疯了!

Europe collapses (everything stays the same).
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”