Languages with exotic and interesting features

General discussion about learning languages
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Languages with exotic and interesting features

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:46 pm

Sae wrote:Tuvan uses repetition on its pronouns. It's a strange feature you even see in the name of their national anthem, "Men Tyva Men" (I'm Tuvan). If you were to say, "I am well", you'd say "men eki tur men". It's like the pronouns form a container for the sentence.

This is interesting because most other modern Turkic languages display essentially the same underlying structure, except that the personal pronoun at the end gets phonetically assimilated into the preceding word (to varying degrees depending on the language: men o'zbekman, men qazaqpyn, ben türküm, etc.) and is generally perceived more like a grammatical suffix than a pronoun. From the perspective of those other Turkic languages the interesting feature in Tuvan isn't the repetition of the personal pronoun, but the fact that it resists assimilation into the main word, without even submitting to vowel harmony.
1 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Basque is interesting but ergativity is not interesting, there's like a thousand ergative languages in the world.

No. What's interesting is the Basque vocative clitics. When speaking familiarly to someone, you have to add a vocative marker that codes whether your hearer is a male or a female, -k for male and -n for female. So if I say something in third person like "Jack saw him yesterday" I still have to add a morpheme that codes 2sg.fem/masc, as in "Jack saw-n him yesterday" if I'm speaking to a woman.

Further reading: https://www.ehu.eus/ehg/sarasola/liburu ... arre26.pdf
3 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:44 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:This is interesting because most other modern Turkic languages display essentially the same underlying structure, except that the personal pronoun at the end gets phonetically assimilated into the preceding word

Interesting. Исхаков, Пальмбах "Грамматика тувинского языка. Фонетика и морфология." (Tuvan language grammar. Phonetics and morphology.) devotes one section to the discussion of the predicate pronouns (§241). Main takeaways:
Most Turkic languages have predicate personal pronouns that have evolved into affixes and used as a copula or in conjugation of the verb forms that are historically derived from participles. Although the 3-rd person pronoun is often replaced with the forms of the verb dur/tur/tor etc. (depending on the language), or just omitted (in modern Tatar, btw, the copula is barely used anymore). In Tuvan, unlike other Turkic languages, these predicate pronouns have preserved their phonetic shape (both as a copula, and after historical participles). 3-rd person pronoun, though, is rarely used as a predicate pronoun and is often replaced with words "human", "thing" and other similar generic words like that (sometimes these words are combined with the 1-st/2-nd personal pronouns, like in "Ажылдаар кижи мен"). There's also predicate affixes -ыл/ил, -ул/үл, -л that are used in questions, which are derived from the 3-rd person pronoun "ол".
Last edited by Dragon27 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:47 pm

Have y'all seen the Old Irish verbal system? It's phonological system? It's a huge load of fun. Definitely features that aren't normal, some of which survive into Irish today (grammaticalised initial mutations, inflected pronouns, parts of the verbal system). It was quite weird, in a lot of ways. And definitely 'interesting', doubly so for being IE
2 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:58 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:
Sae wrote:Tuvan uses repetition on its pronouns. It's a strange feature you even see in the name of their national anthem, "Men Tyva Men" (I'm Tuvan). If you were to say, "I am well", you'd say "men eki tur men". It's like the pronouns form a container for the sentence.

This is interesting because most other modern Turkic languages display essentially the same underlying structure, except that the personal pronoun at the end gets phonetically assimilated into the preceding word (to varying degrees depending on the language: men o'zbekman, men qazaqpyn, ben türküm, etc.) and is generally perceived more like a grammatical suffix than a pronoun. From the perspective of those other Turkic languages the interesting feature in Tuvan isn't the repetition of the personal pronoun, but the fact that it resists assimilation into the main word, without even submitting to vowel harmony.

Ah, I did not know that about the other Turkic languages. Then yeah, it is interesting from that perspective too. So I guess it makes me wonder if some languages shifted because of that vowel harmony, which is also interesting because Tuvan doesn't resist vowel harmony in order places, at least from what I have learned so far.
0 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:10 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:

I've heard there are Caribbean Spanish speakers whose unmarked negation similarly has a repeated "no": no lo hice a tiempo no, no los vi no, and such. I imagine that Turkic pronoun repetition may come from something like that...
1 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:55 am

galaxyrocker wrote:Have y'all seen the Old Irish verbal system? It's phonological system? It's a huge load of fun. Definitely features that aren't normal, some of which survive into Irish today (grammaticalised initial mutations, inflected pronouns, parts of the verbal system). It was quite weird, in a lot of ways. And definitely 'interesting', doubly so for being IE

Among my language aficionado friends we say that Old Irish has a martian substratum.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:20 pm

Hell, the Slavic languages with their damned crazy kinship terms (yes I know other languages have it, e.g. Lakota) is "exotic and interesting" enough for me. Don't even start with those f&#$* motion verbs in Russian. Enough.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:06 am

IronMike wrote:Hell, the Slavic languages with their damned crazy kinship terms (yes I know other languages have it, e.g. Lakota) is "exotic and interesting" enough for me. Don't even start with those f&#$* motion verbs in Russian. Enough.
What? The verbs of motion as well as perfective and imperfective aspect are the things that make Polish worth learning. Now I often wonder how we can even speak without these wonderful features in English :lol:
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”