I Learned Portuguese in 7 Days (My Method)

General discussion about learning languages
Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Re: I Learned Portuguese in 7 Days (My Method)

Postby Raconteur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:23 am

einzelne wrote:Over the years, I also learned how to read between the lines but you'd be surprised how many people take sensational claims at face value.
This. 110%
Back on track with the actual discussion topic: what is obvious to people here, is not obvious to all first-time language learners. Read the comments under any of the "miracle learning" videos and blogs. Please understand that people pay substantial ammounts of money to their authors, in hopes of repeating their success (which they will not). Are they dumb sheep? Do they deserve it? Aside from losing money, do they deserve to feel crappy about their progress (which many of them will)? Maybe these are the people we should stick up for, and not the influencers cashing in on their ignorance – "they have to make money too" is not a good defense in my opinion. Certainly people with such genius language abilities can find better ways to make money.
4 x

risbolle
White Belt
Languages: Russian(N)

Postby risbolle » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 am

Raconteur wrote:<...>
But why call it a fight?

Just a figure of speech. Wasn't meant in a negative way. Call it argument or polemic.

Raconteur wrote:SIDE NOTE
risbolle wrote:She (Tarvos) ...
If you wrote the "she" on purpose, regarding (I'm guessing) "...my dude" – I tend to use "dude" as gender neutral. But if this is seen as insulting, sincere apologies to Tarvos.

Nah, nothing to do with that. Only to indicate precisely whom I was referring to and make it more personal. OCD on my part.

To restate my main point: there were multiple instances of ad hominem and other low grade methods of criticism thrown around, something which I think has devalued the discussion (would devalue any discussion). This is entirely from a reasoned argument point of view, and has nothing to do with sensitivities - this is key.
1 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 am

It's a legitimate question to ask, if the more enthusiastic Polyglotists-with-a-capital-P are doing a disservice to the greater language learning community, specifically to potential new members of the community, by excessive enthusiasm and setting unrealistic expectations that put people off permanently. Vs. reasonable enthusiasm that pulls people in, there needs to be enthusiasm and optimism, that you're-probably-gonna-fail is not going to work. I'm not personally affected, so is it any part of my business to worry about some theoretical person getting put off for life... but isn't that maybe like saying I got mine, so why should I care?

Wanting or needing to make money is absolutely NOT a justification for making untrue claims. Marketing can certainly make vague claims (best burger in town) but not wrong ones (eating this burger makes you lose weight). I think the emotion behind this discussion is based on people who didn't lose weight when they ate the burger.
6 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:47 am

risbolle wrote:To restate my main point: there were multiple instances of ad hominem and other low grade methods of criticism thrown around, something which I think has devalued the discussion (would devalue any discussion). This is entirely from a reasoned argument point of view, and has nothing to do with sensitivities - this is key.

All right, without mentioning specific names. There are lots of myths re language learning. The chief about them is, of course, that you can learn the language in ‘no time’.

No, first time learners, you cannot achieve fluency in 1 week, 3 months, or even a year. How much time does it take? It’s hard to tell since every situation is unique. But I tend to refer people to FSI numbers while emphasizing that in this case 1) we have highly motivated people who learn a language as a full time job 2) small classes with experienced tutors 3) homework hours are not included (so add these hours) and 4) I think someone mentioned on this forum that quite often than not people fail their exams and need more hours of instruction (correct me if I’m wrong here).

As I an inexperienced self-learner who doesn’t enjoy all the privileges of FSI you can easily multiply FSI numbers (+homework!) at least by 2, if not by 3.

Sure, you might not need C1/C2 level in all skills, so you can cut some corners here and there. If people treat language learning as a hobby, I recommend to concentrate on passive skills, reading first. Still, it’s a lot of work. Again, there are debates on the number of words you need to know. I think Nations 10k world families is underestimation (a huge one). I think 20k words is a good benchmark. No way you can get it in 1 year, let alone 3 months or 1 week. (This, of course, doesn’t mean that you cannot enjoy reading until you hit this point, or that you even need that much if your target is reading specific texts. But remember, we are talking about general fluency here.)

Then, again there are 10 lessons from FSI which are a must for all language learners and a nice counterbalance to sensationalist claims. The most important part is that lower-intermediate learners tend to overestimate their skills (yes, I’m pointing at you, youtubers) and that speaking in the real life setting is the hardest skill to master (not because of speaking skills but because of listening). All this research effectively ruins any claims to achieve fluency in no time, unless you deflate the notion of fluency to the level of being an advanced tourist.

We can discuss further other myths and tricks like, for instance, what actually hides behind seemingly innocuous phrases like “I know 10+ languages”, what kind of video tricks are used to produce an illusion of fluency how it is ‘actually’ ‘possible’ to ‘learn’ 2, 3 or a dozen of languages at a time. But usually, busting the myth of ‘becoming fluent in no time’ is enough.
1 x

Doodah
White Belt
Languages: .

Postby Doodah » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:32 am

What this forum badly needs is the ability to downvote posts.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 am

Raconteur wrote:
tarvos wrote:Don't hate, appreciate.
Ah yes, that old chestnut. I wonder, is any form of criticism, no matter how nuanced, an act of "hate," "vitriol?" Is having a critical opinion on some topic equivalent to being "upset" and thus needing to "chill out"? (all quotes from posts above).

As the person who started the discussion, allow me to be a little cheeky, and give you a taste of your own medicine. Hope you don't mind a little bit of joking around.

Hey Tarvos... I think you need to "chill out" my dude. Why be so "upset" with me simply sharing my thoughts and experience? You don't have to agree with me, but instead of "hating," why don't you "appreciate," my humble contribution? Yes, even if you are "upset," as you clearly are. Why not "save your vitriol," and focus on your own goals instead? Why not ignore the topic altogether? Well, I guess it's true what they say.... "some people would pick a fight in an empty room."[*]

Sorry for this tongue in cheek digression. Point is, it really is okay to have a critical opinion about something. It's not the end of the world. And it doesn't mean that the person is "upset" or lacking in "chill." For instance, I am critical of the way you and some others are framing this discussion, but rest assured... I'm as cool as a bilingual cucumber with crushed polyglot dreams ;)

EDIT
[*]That last quote was from Doodah directly above, but they later changed it to "Some people need to have enemies, even when there are none." :)

It's fine to be critical. However, I would argue that there is a time and place for these things and internet threads promoting vitriol against certain people are not it ;)

If you wrote the "she" on purpose, regarding (I'm guessing) "...my dude" – I tend to use "dude" as gender neutral. But if this is seen as insulting, sincere apologies to Tarvos.

Dude isn't gender-neutral to me, but no offense taken ;)
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am

einzelne wrote:We can discuss further other myths and tricks like, for instance, what actually hides behind seemingly innocuous phrases like “I know 10+ languages”, what kind of video tricks are used to produce an illusion of fluency how it is ‘actually’ ‘possible’ to ‘learn’ 2, 3 or a dozen of languages at a time. But usually, busting the myth of ‘becoming fluent in no time’ is enough.

That was a snide and insolent remark which to boot is demonstrably wrong. Both Tarvos and I and several other persons on this planet know 10+ languages, so of course it is possible. And of course it is possible not to know them to perfection (defined as at least C1, but preferably C2 in the usual framework) and then the solution of course is to continue to study them. Referring to this as "myths and tricks" is not only erroneous, but downright insulting to those of us who have spent years learning those languages (and of course you don't get to this point by taking the elementary courses whose inflated claims we are discussing here).
6 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:51 am

Iversen wrote:
einzelne wrote:We can discuss further other myths and tricks like, for instance, what actually hides behind seemingly innocuous phrases like “I know 10+ languages”, what kind of video tricks are used to produce an illusion of fluency how it is ‘actually’ ‘possible’ to ‘learn’ 2, 3 or a dozen of languages at a time. But usually, busting the myth of ‘becoming fluent in no time’ is enough.

That was a snide and insolent remark which to boot is demonstrably wrong. Both Tarvos and I and several other persons on this planet know 10+ languages, so of course it is possible...
Aren't you taking their remark out of context though? Seems to me like they referring specifically to individuals who apply various tricks (example: video editing) to produce an illusion of knowing 10+ languages, usually for direct (educational/coaching products) or indirect (views/clicks) profit.

I really doubt that their intention was to question the accomplishment (10+ languages) of people like you, Prof. Argüelles, and other accomplished polyglots frequenting HTLAL/LLORG over the years.

Furthermore, even given this considerable accomplishment, I can't really picture you or Prof. Argüelles, "cashing in" on your impressive knowledge to peddle "Learn in 7 Days" courses or videos.

Although if there was a real method to master your linguistic repertoire in 3 months, I'd start saving up for your online course immediately! :lol: ;)
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 am

As far as learning languages go, all of us have skin in the game, as they say. So lets look at this from the point of view of another discipline. Mathematics. (Shameless plug for my autodidactic podcast to follow) :lol:

I did a lot of research on Richard P. Feynman recently. If you don't know who he is he was a theoretical physicist who helped build the first atomic bomb, he was the first person to suggest nanotechnology, and he won the Nobel Prize for Physics. He taught himself algebra, trigonometry, integral and differential calculus by the time he was 15 years old. He was also a professor at CalTech and was nicked named "The great explainer". Likewise, he always said maths was easy for people to learn. However, he did have an interest in the subject and the dedication to spend the "time on task" required to learn higher mathematics.

So what is my point? The original question was about should we put up a page discouraging new people from assuming they can learn a language in a very short time. My point is that it is possible to learn a language in a very short time, if you have the motivation and are willing to put in the hours. Richard Feynman learned with only the Encyclopedia Britannica and some maths books he checked out from his local library. These were a series of books "Calculus for the Practical Man", "Algebra for the Practical Man", etc. He also railed against bad materials. By the time his son Carl was four, Feynman was “actively lobbying against a first-grade science book proposed for California schools.”

But he didn't discourage people from trying maths or science, he actively encouraged it. Remember however that he encouraged people to learn on their own and not take things at face value. He wanted people to learn things through trial and error.

“We must,” Feynman said, “remove the rigidity of thought.” He continued “We must leave freedom for the mind to wander about in trying to solve the problems…. The successful user of mathematics is practically an inventor of new ways of obtaining answers in given situations. Even if the ways are well known, it is usually much easier for him to invent his own way— a new way or an old way— than it is to try to find it by looking it up.”

I think a reasonably intelligent adult learner would quickly realize some resources aren't teaching them anything and would actively search out better materials. The OP was concerned that people would give up because of their slow progress and included themselves in that category. But the fact they are here and posting on this forum means that in fact they did not give up, they had the desire and motivation to try again.

Perhaps the people who do give up, were never that motivated to begin with. They thought it was something they could knock out in a couple of days and then move on to something else. Maybe these so-called "snake oil salesmen" are doing people a favour and stopping the ones without motivation from continuing when they aren't prepared for the journey ahead. Perhaps they are just separating the wheat from the chaff.
7 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:25 am

tarvos wrote:It's fine to be critical. However, I would argue that there is a time and place for these things and internet threads promoting vitriol against certain people are not it ;)
If a forum dedicated to language learning is not the right place to criticize certain language acquisition myths, and their effect on monolingual, first-time learners... I'm honestly curious, what time and place do you propose as appropriate?

I'm not a professor, author or an influencer, so I don't have my own public platform to speak from. On private social media (or post-COVID, in person), I doubt my friends and acquaintances would care for a nuanced debate on this topic. Any language learning topic, to be honest.

So where then? I guess the only course of action left is to head to the park and "promote vitriol" to the pigeons? :lol:

With that pigeons bit I'm attempting to make light of your implications. Jokes aside, however, I kindly ask you, as one LLORG member to another, that you go easy on words like vitriol, hate, and so on, when indirectly referring to me and others you disagree with. I'm not sure if you are aware of how this may come across, but framing the person you disagree with as a frustrated malcontent, bitter, jealous (even indirectly) is not very nice. Vitriolic means "filled with bitter criticism or malice." Is that how you see me? Is that how you want other readers to see me? I'm aware that we live in an era of inflated vocabulary, where everything is either love or hate, amazing or sh*t ... but I think we can strive to do a little better on these pages, don't you think
Dude isn't gender-neutral to me, but no offense taken ;)
Would you accept dudette instead? :)
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”