Rare Language Courses

General discussion about learning languages
Agorima
White Belt
Languages: Italian, English, French, Greek, Czech

Re: Rare Language Courses

Postby Agorima » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:01 am

There are no language courses rarer than my unique copy of "Le Tchèque sans peine" translated and adapted in Italian language.

ceco.jpg

I continued to review the book even after printing this copy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:26 am

I actually made a whole video about my language books long ago - but I don't make videos any more, and watching those that I made back then is definitely not a pleasant experience. There are probably some semi-rare items in the collection because I bought them long ago and some of those particular editing houses have stopped business since then, but I don't collect items just because they are rare - I bought them because they might come in handy some day, and in some cases they actually did. Or I bought them as souvenirs, like some small dictionaries in Asian languages which I don't study ... yet.

F6015a05_shelves.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 am

Agorima wrote:There are no language courses rarer than my unique copy of "Le Tchèque sans peine" translated and adapted in Italian language.

ceco.jpg

I continued to review the book even after printing this copy :D

Wait, you had your own Assimil course made :o ?

Edit: Might I enquire as to how you created such a masterpiece?
Last edited by Ug_Caveman on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:35 am

Iversen wrote:I actually made a whole video about my language books long ago - but I don't make videos any more, and watching those that I made back then is definitely not a pleasant experience. There are probably some semi-rare items in the collection because I bought them long ago and some of those particular editing houses have stopped business since then, but I don't collect items just because they are rare - I bought them because they might come in handy some day, and in some cases they actually did. Or I bought them as souvenirs, like some small dictionaries in Asian languages which I don't study ... yet.

F6015a05_shelves.JPG

Your lack of physics textbooks disturbs me...

Although I am glad to see I'm not the only person who has a large collection of materials I'm not going to use until the future :P
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 am

Unfortunately there aren't many physics books in my collection ( :oops:) ... but on the backside there is about a meter or so of mathematics and economy and software manuals (plus of course all the literature I've got from earlier days), and I have another set of shelves which in addition to hundreds of VHS tapes from TV and Groves dictionary of music and about 6 meters of photo albums also contain my collection of popular science etc. magasines. And then I have a Lademann's lexicon in about 30 volumes which I use to support some boxes with brochures from my travels and a lot of outdated gadgets.
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am

This looks like a fun thread. I might dig around my collection and see what gems I can photograph.

Chung wrote:Tserenchunt, Legden & Sharon Luethy Сайн байна уу? Mongolian Language Textbook One. T & U Printing: Ulaanbaatar, 2000
Çankaya, Birsen et al. Turkish Self-Study Course. Fono Yayınları: Istanbul, 2012

I stumbled on the Mongolian book as a semi-impulse purchase on Amazon at a reasonable price (I paid about $40 for my used copy many years ago) with an eye to restarting Mongolian someday. Maybe. I luckily managed to get hold of the audio files from the old CELTIE site at Indiana University not long after having received the book. Unfortunately I've never been able to find the remaining two volumes of the course through Bookfinder.

I think the Сайн байна уу? textbooks are some of the best materials for Modern Khalkha Mongolian to date. You might want to check the newer CELTIE site, as I noticed a week or so again that they now have "open access" files for the vocabulary in Lessons 1-14 of volume 1. Not sure when those were posted. And, should the mood strick you to restart Mongolian and you're not having luck finding the rest of the volumes elsewhere, I bought my copies some years ago from Mongolia Society. I was just in correspondence with them yesterday, in fact, and currently they do not have any copies in stock unfortunately. Hopefully once borders are reopened. Apparently they are creating a list, once they can obtain more copies. It's still 60$ a volume, so it isn't for the faint of heart.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:38 pm

Got a new arrival--found this for under $20 and could not resist. This book is thicc too, and it's tempting me to start (resume? I went through a bit of LLPSI about a year ago) Latin. Also check out this little insert that is loose but still inside the book--think they'd still send me a tape or record?
4 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Return to “General Language Discussion”