How many languages have you dreamt in?

General discussion about learning languages
tactical_buddhist
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2ish), Norwegian (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=180557

How many languages have you dreamt in?

Postby tactical_buddhist » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:00 pm

I tend to get really excited about a new language and go balls to the wall on studying at the beginning and then lose interest when it gets hard. The one cool thing that has resulted is dreaming in my target language, either me attempting to speak it or see it on signs/walls. So far I have the following:

Spanish - quite frequently, usually once a week or so
Norwegian - when I was younger and studying it as a kid
Russian - only once but I was walking around St. Petersburg yelling 'I read War and Peace' to the locals
Korean - I taught English there, usually dreams about me using incorrect grammar
Japanese - same as Korean
Portuguese - me telling Brazilians why can't they just speak a normal sounding language like Spanish. See the word rapidamente in both languages.

What about y'all? How quickly after starting a new language do you see a word or two pop up or you see yourself attempting the language?
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: How many languages have you dreamt in?

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:22 pm

Actually not too many - Danish, English, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian, Russian and Greek, maybe a few more which I have forgotten by now. But mostly just a few words, Contrary to expectation (for those who have met me and wondered where the silent-button might be located) I'm not very social/talkative in my dreams.
3 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:37 am

Hmmm. Languages where I've dreamed about conversing or attempting to converse with other speakers include Gaelic, Irish, Welsh, French, Spanish, German and Russian. Those ones for certain. But sometimes I dream of hearing words or other people talking in a language--I had a dream like that not long ago where a couple were speaking Dutch to one another and I could understand them, but I was speaking English to them. The most recent dream I had was I was trying to explain in Spanish to an elderly Spanish speaker what I had been writing about for my French output challenge--it was after I spent the evening doing a lot of Spanish vocabulary review on Memrise. 8-)

Other times the dream is mostly in English but there are some TL words in it, like once I had a dream that I was trying to teach someone some Hawaiian words, and he kept getting impatient with me and telling me, "No, no, that's a Maori word!" and I started getting very confused and uncertain of myself. I guess it's hard to have dreams about language learning without your anxieties about language learning making an appearance once and a while. :mrgreen:
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 am

I was thinking and dreaming in Dutch for more than a year while I stayed in the Netherlands.

I was thinking and dreaming in Japanese here and then, also when I was in an immersive environment, kind of depending on the day. The interesting thing here is that I recall the brain making up words that don't exist, maybe to fill gaps in my vocabulary. Or sometimes I hear people talking in my dreams, also using words that don't exist, and my brain is simulating the experience of not knowing words and relates to this more than the actual language.. also a lot of mistakes or changing up words to something with a similar, but wrong pronunciation. Basically it is dreaming with a lot of mistakes.

I was thinking in Portuguese and Chinese before, also in an immersive situation (f.e. traveling with Chinese people), but I don't recall ever dreaming in them. Same for English, I don't recall an English dream.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:03 pm

1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:45 pm

I can never remember my dreams but I do talk in my sleep, and have been told I sometimes speak in Japanese and Esperanto.
2 x

chove
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (intermediate), Polish (some).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9355

Postby chove » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 am

Just Spanish, I think. I remember a dream where I was trying to find a beach and couldn't remember the word "encontrar"
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm

In my dreams, I speak them all.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:24 pm

I've definitely had dreams where I converse in Spanish, I want to say I have had the same in French but can't specifically remember. Sometimes I've had trouble falling asleep so I have fake Spanish conversations in my head and I've noticed that sometimes results in Spanish dreams.

Edit: The question is how many languages have you dreamt in, but to give a denominator to the numerator above, Spanish and French are the only two I've studied enough to even expect dreams in, and French study has only ramped up enough for me to expect that in recent months. So I guess I'm 1/2 definitely, probably 2/2.
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm

German and Welsh, I think, although not a great deal.

I think in some dreams, I've heard, and maybe even sometimes told, jokes, and wake up with a smile on my face. But needless to say, I can never remember the jokes.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”