Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2021

Postby SCMT » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:19 pm

lowsocks wrote:
SCMT wrote:Wasn't there one of these threads last year? I can't seem to find it in search, and I'm fairly sure I posted, but I can't find it in my posts either. So if anybody knows if I made resolutions and whether I accomplished them, please let me know!
The 2020 thread seems to be here, with your post being the 8th in the thread, here.

Sorry, I don't know if you accomplished your resolutions. I know that I missed mine, despite all the extra time I had in lockdown :(

Thank you very much!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Well, this isn't really a resolution, more of a "have a go at". I'm going to attempt to learn some Korean using the Free and Legal Challenge and the 365 Challenge together. I'm hoping this will get me to the point of tourist Korean, since I plan to be a tourist in Korea soon. :)
9 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:29 pm

lowsocks wrote:
SCMT wrote:Wasn't there one of these threads last year? I can't seem to find it in search, and I'm fairly sure I posted, but I can't find it in my posts either. So if anybody knows if I made resolutions and whether I accomplished them, please let me know!
The 2020 thread seems to be here, with your post being the 8th in the thread, here.
There's been one most years: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016.
4 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:04 am

2021 Goals

Polish: B1 -maintenance - Conversational
French: B2+ (maybe I am there, but I still struggle listening to some people)
Italian: B1+
2 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am

I was impatient and I started working on my 2021 goals in December 2020 - I've just started two new languages (Russian and Hebrew) and my goal is to get them to A2 level next year (or maybe even B1 in case of Russian).
Other than that, improving my listening skills in German and Romanian.
And keeping posting weekly updates on my log.
5 x
corrections are welcome

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:16 am

For me, the point of having goals is to encourage me to do something, take it seriously, and enjoy doing it. I like the satisfaction of feeling I've achieved something, of course, but I'm not particularly bothered whether or not I planned to achieve it in advance.

As such, my goals for 2021 are largely process goals rather than outcome goals, so to speak:
  • Spend at least half an hour a day learning Egyptian Arabic
  • Do something each day related to either Greek or Icelandic
Secondary outcome-related goals:
Good luck everyone!
5 x
Corrections welcome here

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:41 am

How did 2020 go:
It went pretty well language-wise, since I was disciplined and studied almost every day. One reason for that is this forum. The first half of the year I studied Japanese and German. The second half Spanish. My Japanese didn't get very far, but my German and my Spanish are now pretty good, and I can now listen to and understand radio in those languages.

2021: languages that I'd consider
I haven't set any goals yet. At some point I'd like to improve my Dutch and get it to a good usable level. For now I am worried that it will interfere with my German. I have also previously studied some Polish to a basic level but I have already forgotten most of it, at least when it comes to speaking. Maybe I should brush up on it, but I'm not sure as I don't really need Polish. Then there are of course a couple of other languages that would be interesting to study:
- Finnish - interesting because it seems exotic, and it is at the same time a neighbour country of Norway that I should know more about
- Italian - interesting country to travel to and rich culture, and seems easy to learn since I know Spanish. French would also apply, but I'm more attracted to Italian.
- Icelandic - mostly for the historic interest since it is basically "old norse"
- Philippine - I find the Philippine languages and more generally the Austronesian languages interesting. Also Thai would be interesting, but I like the sound of Philippine languages. Edit: and Malay is also a candidate for a south-asian language to learn.
- Swedish - I have been thinking about studying a bit of the language of our brothers across the border. When I read Swedish I realise there are many words that I don't know. And then there is the "melody" of the language which interests me.

However...
By now I've realised that learning a language is a long term project. I don't see much value anymore in knowing a few basic phrases of a language. For there to be any point I need to get to a B1 or B2 level. With a completely new language that takes time, probably two years (or more) if I'm realistic.
11 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 am

For 2021, I am going to acquire enough French to read those bits of French in English-language books, by those authors that assume any educated person knows French so they don't provide translations. I think it will be fairly easy to reach the modest goal... the problem will be ensuring enough pronunciation/listening so I don't internalize this diabolical language completely wrong. I admit to a bad attitude about French.
10 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 am

French, french and french all the way!

Dare I dream that I will finish all four books of Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises? Is it possible at all? I will try, that's my challenge for 2021.

Also I want to write a lot in french.

I want to be super fluent! I dream big here :lol: :lol: :lol: but that's the only way to dream!
2 x
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises
Book 1, finished

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:47 pm

nooj wrote:2020 resolutions

Study more actively than I already am:
Keep on going with Basque
Keep on going with Catalan
Keep on going with Galician-Portuguese

New languages or languages that I've left sitting for so long that they're effectively new:
Tashelhit
Occitan (Aranese-Gascon actively, Lengadocian passively)
Asturian (?) - not sure about this one, because I'm not sure I'll have the time

Study passively, meaning talk to people, read in my spare time.
Spanish
French

Regretfully look at but not touch:
German

Surprisingly enough in 2020 I did keep to my promise of continuing to actively study my Galician-Portuguese, Catalan and Basque. But I also started learning two languages I said I wasn't sure I'd have time for, Asturian and Aranese, so I'm happy about that. The thought of traveling to/through Asturias and the Val d'Aran provides me motivation.

2021 resolutions:

Ideally I'd like to stay alive and look after my physical and mental health. That's most important.

But I'd like to push my knowledge and USE (reading, writing, speaking) in all of the languages I already know or am learning.

I'm not sure if I have it in me to learn another language, but if I do it might be Aragonese, the last major Romance language in Spain that I've never studied. It's important because another project I have in mind is to do a long Pyrenean hiking route in summer, meaning walking from the Cantabrian sea to the Mediterranean sea. Should take a couple of weeks.

These are languages that I'd possibly meet speakers of during the hike: Basque, Gascon (and Aranese), Aragonese, Catalan. Even if I never actually get to use Aragonese because of its severely endangered status and diglossia, (you never know though), what better way to know more about the land and history of the land I'm passing through?
7 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “General Language Discussion”