General discussion about learning languages
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2021

Postby Querneus » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:54 pm

You guys know the drill.

What are things you want to (and will) do during this upcoming 2021?

New goals? And are you measuring them? And are you sharing those measures? Starting a new language? Starting to speak a language, finally out of a silent period? Joining any particular challenges? How did your 2020 list go?

Or perhaps do you find little worth in resolutions? Now is not a bad moment for an annual reading of those essays the iguana loves, "the best goal is no goal" and "Achieving Without Goals", then!

Personally, my 2020 resolutions went disastrously, but I sure studied languages a lot, nearly every day! :lol: I just studied none of the things I said would in my sign-up for the 366-day challenge and also elsewhere, but pretty much only another one... For this 2021, maybe I'll just make it a goal to interact with people more on their logs and the multilingual subforum + write more on a personal log, ideally all in other languages.

Best wishes to you all, and merry Christmas.
Last edited by Querneus on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2021

Postby ryanheise » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:01 am

2020 isn't over yet!

I will also admit my 2020 didn't go as planned. Probably noone's 2020 went as planned, but there is still one week left of 2020 to get back on track and build up momentum for 2021.

P.S. I usually tend to wait until New Year's Eve, moments before midnight, to make my new year's resolutions, so I'll be sure to post back here on the 1st of January ;-)
5 x

angel
Languages:

Postby angel » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:54 am

I prefer setting goals for myself in every aspect of my life, but I may even drop that next year, at least for language learning. I've started tracking progress instead of goals a couple of weeks ago and I like it much better than setting goals, potentially failing them and then feeling bad about myself. As long as I work towards completing the courses, books, series and movies I decided I want to finish in a year, that's good enough for me.

In 2021 I want to finish all of the courses for German and Spanish that I have (Assimil German with ease, Assimil using German, watching a ton of series and reading many graded readers in German, finishing Pimsleur, Assimil Spanish with Ease and Assimil using Spanish, watching soap operas and reading graded readers in Spanish). I'm hoping that by the end of 2021 both my German and Spanish will be at a level where I will be able to confidently use native materials to progress in and maintain the language, so that I can start full speed with Mandarin in January 2022.
Last edited by angel on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Agorima
White Belt
Languages: Italian, English, French, Greek, Czech

Postby Agorima » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 pm

Once I finish with the second wave of "Le Tchèque sans peine", I will start studying German.
It's likely I will start to study this language in late January or February 2021, it will take at least some months to get the basics.
The book "German (with ease)" has been ordered and received in November.
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:25 pm

My full year goal is to move from mid to high A1 in German to B1. I should be able to reach it.

I've spent part of this morning reading various blogs on goal-setting, and breaking down goals. I was just reading Shannon Kennedy's "Why Goal Setting isn't Enough" and I'm busy now breaking down all my goals into chunks with due dates.

I'm not sure how much I'll achieve, but I expect to be a lot further than where I am right now.

http://eurolinguiste.com/goal-setting-i ... -language/
6 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

tactical_buddhist
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2ish), Norwegian (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=180557

Postby tactical_buddhist » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:26 pm

Learn whatever language our Alien Overlords speak when the invasion begins in 2021.
4 x

thevagrant88
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1) Japanese (FU)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14564#top

Postby thevagrant88 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Man, I hope my 2021 goals go better than last year’s. At this time last year, I began studying Japanese and have basically been puttering around with it. I’ve gotten a third of the way through *checks tally marks* four separate beginner course and have just gone back and forth.

Anyway, first there’s my Spanish. I’m pretty much at the point where I do most things in Spanish. Watch tv, read, video games, YouTube, etc. My biggest thing is that I want to continue speaking Spanish with my one daughter when it’s just her and I around.

As far as other languages are concerned, I’m not sure. I’m certain that I feel ready to take on another one, but that’s all I know for sure. I enjoyed my time with Japanese but all the back and forth had me real burnt out. My other two biggest interests right now are Arabic and Mandarin, but I just don’t know if I have it in me to go after another non-Indo European language.
2 x

tactical_buddhist
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2ish), Norwegian (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=180557

Postby tactical_buddhist » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:23 am

CarlyD wrote:My full year goal is to move from mid to high A1 in German to B1. I should be able to reach it.

I've spent part of this morning reading various blogs on goal-setting, and breaking down goals. I was just reading Shannon Kennedy's "Why Goal Setting isn't Enough" and I'm busy now breaking down all my goals into chunks with due dates.

I'm not sure how much I'll achieve, but I expect to be a lot further than where I am right now.

http://eurolinguiste.com/goal-setting-i ... -language/

I would recommend Atomic Habits. Excellent book and great way to form new habits.
1 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:19 am

Wasn't there one of these threads last year? I can't seem to find it in search, and I'm fairly sure I posted, but I can't find it in my posts either. So if anybody knows if I made resolutions and whether I accomplished them, please let me know!
0 x

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lowsocks » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:23 am

SCMT wrote:Wasn't there one of these threads last year? I can't seem to find it in search, and I'm fairly sure I posted, but I can't find it in my posts either. So if anybody knows if I made resolutions and whether I accomplished them, please let me know!
The 2020 thread seems to be here, with your post being the 8th in the thread, here.

Sorry, I don't know if you accomplished your resolutions. I know that I missed mine, despite all the extra time I had in lockdown :(
2 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

Return to “General Language Discussion”