BBC: "The brain's miracle superpowers of self-improvement"

General discussion about learning languages
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

BBC: "The brain's miracle superpowers of self-improvement"

Postby emk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:55 pm

This is of interest to adult language learners. The article's not as blindly optimistic as the title suggests, and it covers a range of history and expert opinion on the subject:

BBC: The brain's miracle superpowers of self-improvement

For many years, the consensus was that the human brain couldn’t generate new cells once it reached adulthood. Once you were grown, you entered a state of neural decline. This was a view perhaps most famously expressed by the so-called founder of modern neuroscience Santiago Ramon y Cajal. After an early interest in plasticity, he became sceptical, writing in 1928, “In adult centres the nerve paths are something fixed, ended, immutable. Everything may die, nothing may be regenerated. It is for the science of the future to change, if possible, this harsh decree.” Cajal’s gloomy prognosis was to rumble through the 20th Century.

Although it took several decades, Merzenich and Bach-y-Rita were to help prove that Cajal and the scientific consensus were wrong. The adult brain was plastic. It could rewire itself, sometimes radically. This came as a surprise to experts like Robertson, now a Director of Trinity College Dublin’s Institute of Neuroscience. “I can look back on giving lectures at Edinburgh University to students where I gave wrong information, based on the dogma which said that, once dead, a brain cell cannot regenerate and plasticity happens in early childhood but not later,” he says.

Scott says something similar about speech and language therapy. “There were dark days say, 50 years ago, where if you’d had a stroke you didn’t get that kind of treatment other than to stop you choking because they’d decided it doesn’t work. But now it’s becoming absolutely clear that it does, and that it’s a phenomenally good thing. But none of it comes for free.”

My experience is that the adult brain is more than plastic enough to learn a new language, and that the biggest obstacles will usually be the lack of opportunities to use the language day-in and day-out during decades of life, school and work. Indeed, as both sfuqua and I have personally witnessed, adult language learning can be startlingly rapid, given no more than a few thousand pages of comprehensible input.

But at the same time, adults don't get everything for free. There are educated adults who've spoken French as their primary language for decades, starting in their 20s, who still make gender errors. Accents are also notoriously rough for adults, and the people who completely eliminate their accents often do intense amounts of focused work. The adult brain isn't infinitely malleable. But it doesn't need to be—adults can learn a language well enough to use it in pretty sophisticated ways.

(And even in situations where we know the adult brain is notoriously inflexible, there are interesting bits of research that pop up from time to time that probably deserve a bit more medical study.)
6 x

diplomaticus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: BBC: "The brain's miracle superpowers of self-improvement"

Postby diplomaticus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:23 am

emk, does CEFR care about accent at all? A good friend of my family was raised in France and, and didn't live full-time in the US until around his 30th birthday. He is 40 and has bounced back and forth from the US to London over the last year. He has a relatively heavy accent. Not so much that you can't understand him, but you would definitely know he was French almost immediately. But he can discuss any topic in depth that he is familiar with, and has even completed a Masters degree here (all coursework in English and it was an MBA). I imagine he'd have to test as a C2, which tells me accent doesn't mean as much as we think. As long as we get the basics down.

Thoughts?
0 x
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: BBC: "The brain's miracle superpowers of self-improvement"

Postby emk » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:01 pm

diplomaticus wrote:emk, does CEFR care about accent at all?

No, not as far as I can tell, not unless somebody's accent actually interferes with them using the language. Now, to be fair, some of the individual CEFRL exams published by various countries do care about accent. For example, the French DALF C1 exam does count accent:

dalf-c1-accent-scoring.png

Mastery of the the phonological system
(roughly) Has acquired a a clear and natural accent and intonation. Can vary intonation and place the phrasal accent to express fine nuances of sense.

Note that they say "clear and natural," and not something like "native." Also, the DALF C1 is scored on a scale of 0 to 100 points, and you only need 50 points to pass, so you could score 0 on accent and still pass the exam pretty easily. Similarly, the DALF C2 exam wants to know if your accent interferes in any way with the exchange, not whether you sound like you grew up in Paris.

diplomaticus wrote:But he can discuss any topic in depth that he is familiar with, and has even completed a Masters degree here (all coursework in English and it was an MBA). I imagine he'd have to test as a C2, which tells me accent doesn't mean as much as we think. As long as we get the basics down.

Yup. As long as people understand what you're saying, and they don't get tired listening to you, I don't personally see any problem with a light accent. But then again, I'm an English speaker, and plenty of native English speakers have really strong accents (relative to any given accent). If I'm not going to get bent out of shape because somebody sounds British or Californian, why should I get bent out of shape if they sound a little bit French?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”